69 restoration The wifes new ride - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 15, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Roger

69 restoration The wifes new ride

As my name indicates, I have been a car enthusiast as long as I could drive---well even before that

For some reason, I seem to stick to the early 70's chevrolet. I have restored a number of cars over the years, but have always loved the camaro

Some of my frame off restorations:

1971 Chevy big block AC Super Cheyenne Shortbox

1971 Pro Street Shortbox--650 HP big Block

1971 Chevrolet Z28 60,000 original miles.

I sold all of these cars over the years, and was out of projects.

Last Year, My wife said she would like a 69 Camaro. Well I said---OK!!!! I think I can find one to retore to your liking. After looking at different car shows, pictures, albumns, etc. Her wish list included:

Easy starting, reliable driver (translation--LS motor)
Smooth running, no earth shaker drag car (Translation--LS again)
Auto Trans
Air Conditioning (Translation--Vintage Air)
RS Model (Liked the headlights)
69 only

So I started looking around. A few months later, I came across this:

The short Story: The PO got it when he was 16, drove it like a 16 year old would. Blew up the motor--sat for years. Took it somewhere to restore. That person stripped it down, sandblasted, put quarters on, then quit. Sat for a few more years, when the PO decided he would probably never get to it. So he sold it. 30 years after he got it. I know he had a hard time parting with it. My deal was I would send him a link to the rebuild thread. Thanks Daniel!!!

I bought it as a body shell, and boxes of parts. This will be my wifes new ride. Eventually Frost green with black deluxe interior. X11 code. It will become an RS car, Fathom green with a white Hockey stripe.

Pretty solid car, just a couple spots in the toe board that need attention for metal work.

So I got it home, and the journey begins. I hope you don't mind, but I will probably have a lot of ??? on what is this--what goes here--what is the best--whatever. You know the drill

Last edited by CarAddict; Dec 8th, 15 at 04:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 15, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Roger

Re: 69 restoration The wifes new ride

I picked up an assembly manual, which I found invaluable on the 71 Camaro.

So the first question on where do these go. I got everything in the doors, except the exterior latches and locks, but have these 2 springs left. Both identical, a little under 6 inches long

post #3 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 15, 04:40 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Nice start, it appears to be solid. Good luck and keep us all updated as you restore it

post #4 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 15, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Good luck with the restoration, Roger. Your wife has impeccable taste.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #5 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 15, 05:07 AM
Kevin

They are for the interior door handle for it to go back to start position. They hook in a hole in the handle mech on the inside of the door, the other is in a hole in the door shell. Just pull the spring slightly towards the rear of the door and you will notice the hole. The spring goes inside the cloth and is used to keep the spring from hitting the metal to reduce rattles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAddict View Post
I picked up an assembly manual, which I found invaluable on the 71 Camaro.

So the first question on where do these go. I got everything in the doors, except the exterior latches and locks, but have these 2 springs left. Both identical, a little under 6 inches long

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 15, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Roger

Thanks for the info Kevin. I was worried I would lose them before I figured it out!
post #7 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 15, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I had the same story. Restoring or what ever for over 50 years and owning 65 cars of which 35 being Camaros. My wife ordered her 69 in 05. Found a 1 owner solid car in Ca and was driven up until the day I had it shipped to NC. Now it is a RSSS BB, 4spd, AC, etc, Black on white show/drive car. Good luck with your build and I am sure your wife will enjoy her ride.
post #8 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 15, 06:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Looks really solid. That'll be a great starting point.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #9 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 15, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Roger

I've been looking at Vintage air kits. I don't have factory air, but I don't have a dash either, so I can kind of do what I want.

The price seems to vary from $800 on summit to $1300 on other sites. So what is missing on the summit kit? I am going to put an LS motor in, so I have no idea where the AC will be mounted, or if the Motor I get comes with a compressor. Maybe I'm a little ahead of myself.

For the LS motor, I was thinking of contacting someone like Yates in the quad cities. Any thoughts? I really not looking to scour junk yards for donors, but that doesn't mean I won't What is the best donor car/truck

Thanks for your help!
post #10 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 15, 07:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Once you decide on what flavor LS you can go to www.car-part.com. They inventory a lot of yards. Great site to use. Put in your zip, name the part (have to know what car or truck it's in) and it'll give you the local yards that have it by price, mileage, distance from you, etc. It even cross references parts so say that LS is the same in a Silverado and a whatever it'll give all of them that are the same.

I've been using it for years.

It's a lot faster digging through the junkyards on your keyboard than going to them.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #11 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 15, 08:15 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAddict View Post
I've been looking at Vintage air kits. I don't have factory air, but I don't have a dash either, so I can kind of do what I want.

The price seems to vary from $800 on summit to $1300 on other sites. So what is missing on the summit kit? I am going to put an LS motor in, so I have no idea where the AC will be mounted, or if the Motor I get comes with a compressor. Maybe I'm a little ahead of myself.

For the LS motor, I was thinking of contacting someone like Yates in the quad cities. Any thoughts? I really not looking to scour junk yards for donors, but that doesn't mean I won't What is the best donor car/truck

Thanks for your help!
I use the Holley Acc Kits on my LS builds and Vintage Gen IV Air

If you get a truck motor the acc set-up will not work without changing brackets. Alt is too high and the AC Comp is low and will not clear the sub frame.

I prefer GM Performance crate LS engines. Often when guys get a "good deal" on a junkyard motor by the time they rework the harness. reprogram the ECM, change out the acc drive components they really haven't saved that much. Plus your'e buying a motor with usually higher miles and unknown history.

And the GM Engines come with 24/50000 warranty.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #12 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 15, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Roger

Thanks for the info. I'll keep all that in mind for future reference.

I was messing around tonight and decided to look at the wheel dates.

My car is a 5C build date

Wheels are:

K1956XN
K1957XN
K1957XN
K1966XN

Amazing these wheels managed to stick with the car. I won't be using them, but it's pretty cool anyway
post #13 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 15, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Roger

Some other parts I found

Power brake unit
3972 063 code--appears to be for a 69 with power drum brakes

Master Cylinder 5450465 with BS stamp on the above booster

5452310 master cylinder with an A1 code. Not sure what that belongs to

I'll be selling all these if anyone is interested, including the wheels above
post #14 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 15, 05:30 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I built mine with a 454 and vintage AC and if very dependable for the last 5 years. All the supporting mechanics are new and updated to original. Old Chevys never die they just keep getting better.
post #15 of 167 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 15, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Roger

I started taking the front of the camaro apart today. I am thinking of putting the body on a rotisserie just to get all the sand out! It keeps falling from everywhere! I probable got a half a cup out of the steering column! Now I know why it grinds when you turn the wheels!!!.

Question of the day---do these motor mounts look right. I am going with an LS or vortec, so I am not sure if I can use them or not, but the position is what I am questioning. I just found it odd that they hung off the back of the front crossmember. They look like they are on the wrong sides

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode