Build Projects follow along start to finish

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 16, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Cody

1969 LeMans X11 Coupe

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Over the Christmas/New Years holidays I finally picked up my dad's base model '69 V-8/3-spd Camaro.

He is the car's second owner and it spent its whole life in Texas, mostly as a daily driver street/strip car. Once he had kids, the car sat in the garage where I saw it every day growing up, hoping it'd be mine one day. I've only seen the car running three times in my life and driven once around the block.

It's got an over-bored 400, power glide, and a posi 10-bolt out of a Firebird. It ran 12's with air shocks and mono's. No trans-brake or line-loc, yet.

I am currently in the process of stripping it all down to take to a guy to get it sprayed back to LeMans Blue (71 71 car) and getting the motor hooked up with new gaskets and seals.

I am trying to keep it looking like a Day 2 driver from the outside, complete with polished Centerlines and all the chrome. The car is all original glass and sheet metal with one bit of rot in the PAX rear floorpan that'll be patched up. The interior is going to remain strictly business, though I will be cleaning up and reinstalling the original dash pad, bezel, gauges, and front door panels. The back seat is sitting in the attic and the rear side panels will be staying up there, as well.

I will probably be asking some questions about restoring/cleaning the interior panels, looking for fuel tank, radiator, and trans cooler recommendations, and asking the ever popular "What size tires can I stuff under this thing?" in the coming weeks. So, thanks in advanced for all the help!

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 16, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage
Re: 1969 LeMans X11 Coupe

Glad to see it stayed in the family! Good luck and fire away those questions. There are a lot of knowledgable people on here.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 16, 10:03 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Cody welcome officially to TC. We look forward to seeing your progress. Maybe you should start a build thread and post some historical pictures of the car when you were younger. Always nice to see when a car stays in one family.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 16, 10:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

What Buckee's is that?

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 16, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Cody

Thank you for the welcome.

Unfortunately, my old man isn't one to take many pictures. I did find this gem, however. I framed it and kept it on my desk through school as a bit of motivation. It looks like the parking lot of Eastex Dragway in Houston.

[/URL][/IMG]

My little 1-stall garage got full quick once I started ripping stuff out, but here is a shot of it tucked away when I got it out here to Florida.

[IMG][/IMG]

But, I know this is what ya'll are all interested in:

Fixed link->

Once I unload it on to the body guy I'll be doing my research on some of the parts that are going to have to be replaced to get it back on the road. I am looking at radiator, trans cooler, tires, fuel tank, fuel pump (electric), fuel lines and flushing all the fluids.

I am hoping to have it driving by May. I am spending a bit over my budget on the body work, I just want to be sure that all of that factory sheet metal is going to be safe for the next 45 years!

Anyways, thanks for the interest and hopefully I can keep this thread alive for all of you who have too nice of a car to put on the drag strip!

-Cody

Last edited by 69-Pace; Jan 10th, 16 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fixed link
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 16, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post
What Buckee's is that?
That is the Baytown Buc-ee's. It was on my out of town headed for Florida.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 16, 12:39 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Cool. I can move these posts over to the build section and start a thread there for you or you can walk over there yourself and start one proper.

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 16, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

Welcome to the motley crew of dirty finger nails car guys. You've got the right year and thanks for the picts.

Jim's '69

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 16, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L65-4spd View Post
Welcome to the motley crew of dirty finger nails car guys. You've got the right year and thanks for the picts.
Thank you! Definitely dirtied and bloodied. Plenty of jagged edges under this 45 year old carpet...
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 16, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

[QUOTE=ceager;3397297]What size tires can I stuff under this thing?"

This is my similar car with 28.5" x 9" x 15" in stone-stock fender openings.

c

Last edited by cnorton7311; Jan 11th, 16 at 07:02 AM.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 16, 09:19 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Welcome Cody from a lot further north than you and your new prize are. It's great that you have the car and are going to bring her back, I'm looking forward to watching the progress from a distance. BTW, my favorite year and also in my opinion the best year as well, pardon me while I duck after stating that

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 16, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Congratulations on getting the car! You will have fun with it. We were in Texas to see my brother last summer. Buc-cees definitely have the nicest bathrooms around (we stopped at the one in Bastrop). My brother always said you try to find a Buc-cees when you are on the road and need to drop the big one. Have fun with the car and welcome to the site!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 16, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Cody

1969 LeMans X11 Coupe

Thanks for the welcome guys. It sounds like your brother gave you some good gouge on Texas road trips and the Buc-ees experience! They didn't start off quite like that. They used to be just a good place to get more ice then you need for under a buck. Kind of a staple place to stop now.

[quote=cnorton7311;3398161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceager View Post
This is my similar car with 28.5" x 9" x 15" in stone-stock fender openings.

c

How does Ol Blue 60 foot? Do you got air shocks on it? That is definitely the look in going for!

-Cody

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 16, 07:03 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceager View Post

How does Ol Blue 60 foot? Do you got air shocks on it? That is definitely the look in going for!

-Cody
Ol Blue has put down a 1.45 60' time but because I have decided not to put in a roll bar, it's necessary to keep it slower than 11.50 on 1/4 mile tracks and 7.25 on 1/8 mile tracks. I estimate that the combination is probably capable of very low 11 or possibly high 10 second passes. No air shocks on my race cars. The rear ride height is set with a slightly re-arched stock mono-leaf. Front ride suspension includes a set of Moroso "Trick" springs with 1/2 coil removed. Front shocks are a set of old, tired Lakewood 90/10's; rear shocks are Competition Engineering 3-way adjustable set on 50/50.

Last edited by cnorton7311; Dec 9th, 16 at 06:53 AM.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 16, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Cody

It's a little too early for me to get into tire and suspension set up but that's a similar direction I was leaning. How does that 28.5" tire MPH? I think that's gonna be my biggest consideration since I'm running a Power Glide and 3.73 (I believe) rear gear.

Will probably be keeping the stock small block non-AC front coils and the mono-leaf that's on the rear end. I will definitely be shopping for new shocks though and either the slapper bars I got in the garage or some Cal-Tracs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode