Body Shell - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 16, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Body Shell

Well it looks like I'll be posting a lot more since I just got this delivered last month. I'm a total amateur when it comes to body work and thought I would farm it off to someone somewhat local to finish it for me, but he's about a year out on work. Translation... I'm learning body work. The shell took about 9 months from deposit to delivery so I have the patience to get this done. The body only needs minor tweaking in spots and final gapping, otherwise, it's very close. I had mini tubs installed during the build too so that would be off the list. By the way, Tony at Muscle Car Metal is great to deal with if anyone needs a full or partial shell. I also chose not to have a factory sub frame included since I'm getting a pile of stuff from Chassisworks. Once I get their sub frame bolted in I'll start on the gaps.

I figured you all might find these interesting.

Here's a pic of the shell prior to delivery just before it was loaded on the enclosed trailer in the background.

Post delivery pics. I also got a trailer dolly to pull the body around which make it a very easy one-man operation. I had spare square tubing laying around and welded a smaller piece on for the handle. Good to go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 16, 03:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Re: Body Shell

Sweet! Looking forward to watching this build.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 16, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

X2! Very nice. Maybe at a later date, you could move this thread over to Build Projects.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 16, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
[FONT=Tms Rmn]Well it looks like I'll be posting a lot more since I just got this delivered last month. I'm a total amateur when it comes to body work and thought I would farm it off to someone somewhat local to finish it for me, but he's about a year out on work. Translation... I'm learning body work. The shell took about 9 months from deposit to delivery so I have the patience to get this done. The body only needs minor tweaking in spots and final gapping, otherwise, it's very close. I had mini tubs installed during the build too so that would be off the list. By the way, Tony at Muscle Car Metal is great to deal with if anyone needs a full or partial shell. I also chose not to have a factory sub frame included since I'm getting a pile of stuff from Chassisworks. Once I get their sub frame bolted in I'll start on the gaps.

I figured you all might find these interesting.
Congrats. Coming from Tony you know its done right and won't need a ton of tweaking.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 16, 09:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sonny

Garage

X3, will be a fun build thread to follow, best of luck with the project.

1969 Z28 (Sold)
1970 Z28 (Sold)
1970 RS Z28 Camaro (Green)

post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 16, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Thanks guys. It should be an experience for sure. Couple of questions...

I need to get a good air powered DA sander. Any recommendations?

What should the height of the door be in relation to the rear quarter? Both sides are like this pic where the door is higher. My concern is if I drop it to try to make it flush then the contour line will be way off. I don't want to go down too many rabbit holes with trying to make things perfect.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 16, 07:19 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
Thanks guys. It should be an experience for sure. Couple of questions...

I need to get a good air powered DA sander. Any recommendations?

What should the height of the door be in relation to the rear quarter? Both sides are like this pic where the door is higher. My concern is if I drop it to try to make it flush then the contour line will be way off. I don't want to go down too many rabbit holes with trying to make things perfect.
Hey Brian. For the gaps and body lines I'd hit up the search function on the site. There are a ton of good threads on it. Also, there are a lot of build threads where guys are tackling all kinds of gap issues and they come up with some great ways of fixing it. My guess is that you'll end up being able to drop the door down to level it with the quarter. Without seeing it from all angles, it's pretty tough to tell where you have to give and take moving the door around or if you have slice and dice something.

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 16, 07:48 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmy

I would leave the door gap alone. Once you install the window,tracks and other guts the weight will bring it down to about even with the quarter
bondora68 likes this.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 16, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Good point about the additional weight. I'll keep that in mind, as well as hit the search function for more detailed info. Meanwhile, FedEx just dropped off the front brakes today as my parts start to trickle in, but can't do a thing until that sub frame arrives. Will update more if I can't find via search.

post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 16, 08:25 PM
Apprentice
Greg

I have a question about the body you purchased, was it a Refurbished Body Shell for $12,500? I am contemplating wether it's worth having mine re-done completely or just buy a shell and transfer everything and sell my shell to recover some of the costs. An estimate I recieved to restore mine to primer was $10,500. But it could go higher as everyone knows. I do not do body work or welding but do all other mechanical. What are others opinion on this route of the Refurbished Body Shell?
Thanks,
Greg
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 16, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech

Wow! What a great way to start! With a nice clean chassis. I envy you.

Good luck on your build. The learning curve will be pretty steep for the first bit. Take your time and ask lots and this will be a saving in the long run. Just watch the budget as it can get away on you.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 16, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjm View Post
I would leave the door gap alone. Once you install the window,tracks and other guts the weight will bring it down to about even with the quarter
Shouldn't move if your hinges are good. I think most guys set their gaps on door shells.

Semper Fi!

post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregster1234 View Post
I have a question about the body you purchased, was it a Refurbished Body Shell for $12,500? I am contemplating wether it's worth having mine re-done completely or just buy a shell and transfer everything and sell my shell to recover some of the costs. An estimate I recieved to restore mine to primer was $10,500. But it could go higher as everyone knows. I do not do body work or welding but do all other mechanical. What are others opinion on this route of the Refurbished Body Shell?
Thanks,
Greg
No, because the refurbished shell only doesn't include the front end. I got a full roller, http://www.musclecarmetal.com/home2.asp , minus the rolling parts, no suspension, etc. I sold my other '69 a short while ago and wanted another one to start that had a solid base. For me, this route was less because buying another car just to toss half the stuff and repair who knows what on the body would cost much more in the long run. A few parts on my car are refurbished. For example, the inner cage is all refurbished from an original so I could get the VIN and title the car. Same with smaller parts like the door hinges which MCM felt rebuilt originals are best.

Anyway, another option for you might be to have you car delivered to him to replace only the parts that need done and have them fitted while you're at it. If he has a delivery near you he can pick up your car on the way home too.
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcanuck68 View Post
Wow! What a great way to start! With a nice clean chassis. I envy you.

Good luck on your build. The learning curve will be pretty steep for the first bit. Take your time and ask lots and this will be a saving in the long run. Just watch the budget as it can get away on you.

capt
Yeah... about the budget.. oh well. I think's it now become a ballpark number.

I know I'll have plenty of questions but mostly centered around technique on the best way to do something. Where to make the least intrusive slice to move the metal a certain way. Things like that. Also, the amount of options in body filler land is very confusing. I've already spent multiple hours with the search button with varying results.

I'll get into the body work more once I have the subframe installed and the rear gLink suspension bolted/welded in along with the FAB9 housing.
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 09:03 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Following....good looking starting block

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode