No Surprises 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 16, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

No Surprises 69

I want to start by saying this site and all the people here are such a wealth of information. I also want to say thank you to each person that has taken the time to post their build or answer a question.Your help has given me the confidence (for better or worse) to start a project myself.Hopefully my thread will be some help to someone else.
I call this project “No Surprises” because when I got the car, there wasn’t much left. My reasoning was that at least I knew what I was getting and the tear down was already done.I don’t think my wife was convinced but she let me think she understood.
Here is a picture of her when I got her home. The picture in the trailer is her good side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.5.13 010.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	138145   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.5.13 008.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	138153   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.21.14 078.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	138161  

Name:	4.21.14 093.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	138169   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.21.14 086.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	138177  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 16, 06:02 AM
Kevin

Re: No Surprises 69

wow john, you are a brave man! good luck and keep your tetanus shots up to date!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 16, 07:34 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

You can do it. Good luck and post those pictures as you move along!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 16, 07:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Love the trailer hitch lol! Good luck with the build.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 16, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

good luck with the build

1969 Camaro 350 200r4 342 Posi
1987 WE4 Turbo Regal E85
2003 Sierra Stepside RCSB Belltech dropped

MY BUILD THREAD:

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 16, 08:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I sent one to the scrap yard that looked like that! Maybe I should have kept it and scrapped the one in my profile.

I'm sure this will get back together. if you need inspiration search 6781Camaro on here. Todd has had his car down to the skeleton.

Jeff
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 16, 09:32 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Great project. She will look fine in no time I'm sure.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 16, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech
Al

http://i.imgur.com/DWruVly.jpg

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 16, 03:02 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Hi John and good luck but if I can offer anything, please do a lot of planning & expense reviews as this will become an upside down project. Rewards can overcome but still an issue that should be reviewed is both cost & time as you hopefully have already. Welcome to build projects.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 16, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
What Al said !

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 16, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Another Michigan car as bad as mine!

The good news is it can be done and you can do it. The bad news it is takes a lot of time. Pace yourself and try to break it into little projects so that you don't get discouraged. Most of all, have fun!

My Build Thread

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 16, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Big project for sure, but keep positive and ask many questions as you go. Good for you!

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 16, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thank you for all of the encouragement and words of caution. I am actually a little further but will post pics in sequence for the record.Thanks to a mild winter I have been able to get out into the shop a little more lately and have actually gotten some work done.
My goals –
1. Rebuild her and get her back on the road – anyone can buy a car*, I want the bragging rights and sense of accomplishment of building one.
2. Make her a driver – I want to drive her, not stare at her.
3. Give it to my Dad who has given so much and asked so little. The first car I remember riding in was a Frost Green 1969 Camaro that my Dad bought new. I still remember standing in the back with my arms spread across the seat staring out the windshield. (Of course this was before you had to be strapped to a car seat with some sort of electronic device plugged into your head.)
What I have.
Report this image

What I see.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 16, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
I sent one to the scrap yard that looked like that! Maybe I should have kept it and scrapped the one in my profile.

I'm sure this will get back together. if you need inspiration search 6781Camaro on here. Todd has had his car down to the skeleton.

Jeff
I don't even want to think about the ones that ended up in the scrap yard. Thanks for the heads up on Todd. I have been subscribed to his build for the last couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camaroz28 View Post
Hi John and good luck but if I can offer anything, please do a lot of planning & expense reviews as this will become an upside down project. Rewards can overcome but still an issue that should be reviewed is both cost & time as you hopefully have already. Welcome to build projects.
Thanks for the advice. I had to laugh when I read your post. I don't think the people on this site are big on reviewing cost and time of their builds, except for the one they showed their significant other to persuade them to let them start it. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sshugger View Post
Another Michigan car as bad as mine!

The good news is it can be done and you can do it. The bad news it is takes a lot of time. Pace yourself and try to break it into little projects so that you don't get discouraged. Most of all, have fun!
Thanks Matt. Actually, you have been a great encouragement already. I have been through your site numerous times for ideas and advice.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 16, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

The only thing holding the rear end in the car was the rear shackle bolt on the passenger side. This is the method I used to get the car onto the jig. I put jack stands under the front of the rockers and lifted the rear with a cherry picker, slid the rear end out and put jack stands under the rear of the rockers.I then lifted the whole car and wheeled the jig under the car.Of course, the only point of reference left on the car was the front two gauge holes on the firewall.Both frame rails and all of the reference points under the car were enlarged by rust or completely gone.
I got the trunk out without too much effort. About the only thing left attached to the rest of the car was the tail panel and where it connected to the floor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trunk (5).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	138545   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Begining (1).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	138553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Body on jig (1).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	138561  

Name:	Trunk (15).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	138569  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode