Build Projects follow along start to finish

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 16, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

67 camaro complete rebuild

Hey everyone,

My name is Brian and I have a standard 67 Camaro. I bought the car when I was 17 with very little experience and ambitions of having it all done within a year. I quickly realized how much was involved in rebuilding this car. when I bought it, I got it for a good price but didn't have the buying knowledge one should have when purchases an old camaro. I didn't know all of the key areas to look for rust and was just enamored by the fact that I was about to buy my dream car. The car ran with a 400 small block in it but was not street worthy. original specs showed it was a 327 car with factory AC, 2 speed power glide, tinted front windshield with ermine white paint and a blue interior.
I started working on the car and took some engine rebuild classes at the local community collage but body work was beyond me. I soon joined the military and the car sat at my parents for many years under cover as the Army moved me all over the country. a little over a year ago I finally had a place that would provide me the space to work on my Camaro. I moved to an even bigger place with a 960 sq ft shop that I set up with all the tools and an air compressor that can handle the work. the bulk up my restoration work has happened over the last year. I currently live in NC and am 28 now so that gives you an idea of how long this build has been waiting. My goal for this car is to have a nice daily driver with a little bit of horsepower that puts a smile on my face every morning when i fire it up to drive to work. It runs in the family as I also have a 62 Nova convertible completely rebuilt by my grandfather, the Nova was passed down to me after his passing so I am very much looking forward to having my own pride an joy to park along side his.

I have put in a lot of work on this car over the last year and will attempt to post my progress as it occurred in phases. I have gained so much knowledge from posts on this site and I guarantee those posts have save me hours of head ache or problems down the road. I encourage honest criticism and insight from all of you during my build. although I have limited experience, whenever I find myself having a light bulb moment or learning by expense(the learning curve can be expensive) I will try to impart what I've learned so other can learn from my mistakes.
good luck to all
-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 16, 09:20 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 67 camaro complete rebuild

Brian - nice back story, and thank you for your Military service. I know many members here have had cars wait longer to be restored so you are not alone. We look forward to your updates and pictures of your progress on this build thread.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 16, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Alright here we go, I was trying to figure out the best way to upload images. Im guessing its by uploading everything to photobucket and then copying the image URL? Hopefully this creates a thumbnail of the pic, if there is a better way i'm all ears.
This was the first pic taken of the car the day I bought it. Like i mentioned earlier neither I or my father had buying knowledge so needless to say, I didn't even look under the car for rusted out floor pans, but I would soon find that out. It was full of rust and bondo but my 17 year old self only saw potential.[IMG][/IMG]

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 16, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Next thing I did was take small block 400 out so I could rebuild it and a 327 that I picked up as well. I took a class at the local community college on engine rebuilding. They had all the machines needed from blasting and baking the block, boring,honing, pressing the pistons in. Its been over 10 years since I took those classes. If you are wanting to learn everything about rebuilding your own engines while having supervision so you know its done right, I would suggest checking out your local community college to see if they offer those types of classes. The best part was after you completed the class you could go back any time a class was in session and work on another engine. [IMG][/IMG]

Most of my early tear down pics are on film but here are a few I found.[IMG]

[/IMG]
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 16, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Fast forward to Tennessee sometime in 2014, I finally had my own house after many years of military moving and temporary living situations not suitable for a restoration. I had the car hauled out from California.[IMG]

[/IMG]
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 16, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

First task was take a million pictures and start labeling everything I took off of the car. I had done a fair amount of this many years ago when I first started working on it, and thankfully still had the boxes full of every labeled nut, bolt and part removed. Then I went out and bought a harbor freight sand blaster to start removing all the years of rust, bondo and cat pee coating the car. The sand blaster worked with mixed results, biggest issue was water in the air lines which when mixed with sand becomes very frustrating. The TN humidity is not air tool friendly. I figure this problem out down the road and when I moved again and will address my fix for that in a later post.

For the safety concerned seeing a camaro body sitting on crates, they are all bolted together and secured to the floor. This made it easy for me to roll it in and out of my garage while giving me a good angle to get the underside since a rotisserie was not possible.
[IMG]

[/IMG]
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 16, 10:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Aj

Looking good take your time. lots of pics and labels are the way to go.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 16, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Nice project.
I have the same Harbor Freight blaster and have same issues here in Ohio, moisture totally kills it to the point of no media flow, I installed an in line moisture trap right after air compressor and another before the gun, it helped a lot, gun works pretty good for the cost, it was very frustrating to use without the moisture filters, to the point of being useless.

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 16, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRider View Post
Nice project.
I have the same Harbor Freight blaster and have same issues here in Ohio, moisture totally kills it to the point of no media flow, I installed an in line moisture trap right after air compressor and another before the gun, it helped a lot, gun works pretty good for the cost, it was very frustrating to use without the moisture filters, to the point of being useless.
I tried several different methods and filters but still had the same issue, humidity was not my friend. I live in NC now with even more humidity than back in Tennessee and when I moved here along with the build I spent some time researching how to inexpensivly fix my moisture problem without spending hundreds of dollars on an air conditioner unit. I'll go ahead and fast forward to show everyone my air setup.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 16, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

I'll fast forward since we are on the topic of Air tools/supply. I basically quite sandblasting at the point seen in the pics. once I got the fire wall sand blasted I became more and more frustrated with the water issue. I was wasting sand and time. I put off the sand blasting and moved on to the sub frame. When I moved to NC in 2015 where I currently live and have my camaro, I made sure to some research on how to eliminate the water issue and build a good setup. Now I may have gone a little overkill on the set up but it works great. Best part is it didn't cost much at all I bought one "nice" water separator that ran around $100 only because I figured Cost = quality which isn't always the issue. Honestly the harbor freight ones aren't that bad, they probably won't last as long. My set up is still cheaper than spending over a grand on a air dryer unit.

Air comes out of the compressor around 200 degrees or more, so its hot and full of water. First thing to do is cool the air, this is best done by distance, the farther it travels, the more time it has to cool before it hits your air tool/ambient air. Some people are worried about loosing pressure over distance, I haven't had that issue. If you can have the air travel upward out of the tank, gravity will assist with the heavy droplet removal, you just need a way to remove it. I chose a ball valve with copper pipe. [IMG][/IMG]
I turn the little valve and I usually get some water after running for a while, but most of it is still going all the way to the tool end.

Creating distance by running it across the roof
[IMG][/IMG]
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 16, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Next I decided to install a compressor coil in the line. I saw this online and some guy had multiple ones chained together, some had box fans blowing on them to aid the cooling of air. I decided to one up all that and drilled holes in the back of my beer fridge. Most air conditioning companies I went to said I could look through there junk pile and pick one out for free, I just didn't find one that wasn't cracked so my neighbor gave me a transmission cooler he had laying around, Great success! [IMG][/IMG]

Finally the hose comes out of the fridge and hits a regulator that is telling me how much pressure I have or have lost between the tank and this end. Next in line is a cheapo harbor freight water separator. This one fills up the most, I would say on an average 85 degree day of running all afternoon i'll drain it 3-4 times(auto drains work to). next in the pic is an irrelevant desiccant dryer, don't need it. After that is an expensive separator whose manufacture boasts it removes 99% of water(Amazon.com: SMC AMG250C-N03BC Water Separator, N.C. Auto Drain, 750 L/min, 3/8" NPT, Mounting Bracket: Industrial & Scientific). That is true but I still feel like you need something in front of it to cut down on the amount going through. Final step is another HF filter that has a regulator to adjust tool pressure, I never see water this far, just a misting when I hit the valve. [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG].

And that's it. Just be careful with water drainage around outlets and electrical. make sure it's not directly draining into an open outlet.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 16, 04:09 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Brian, Using coal slag commonly sold at farm supply stores and called Black Beauty or Black Diamond works much better than sand. Give it a try if you haven't already. Does not absorb moisture easily, a lot less dust and can be recycled many times if you strain it. Also this Wix water filter works great.
Nice project btw.
WIX Filters - Aquachek Filters - Products Information

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 16, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Brian, Using coal slag commonly sold at farm supply stores and called Black Beauty or Black Diamond works much better than sand. Give it a try if you haven't already. Does not absorb moisture easily, a lot less dust and can be recycled many times if you strain it. Also this Wix water filter works great.
Nice project btw.
WIX Filters - Aquachek Filters - Products Information
Thank for the info, coal slag is definitely something I haven't heard of yet so I'll have to check that out. I expirmented with soda blasting as well. I understand the use for it as Bing nicer on panel warping but it doesn't cut through bondo fast enough. It would cost way to much and at that point I realized I'd be better off getting it blasted. I think the coolest methods I researched was dustless blasting. I called a vendor and the average full car job was around $1000 but they would come out to your location.Home - Dustless Blasting Check out the video, it's pretty slick. Fortunately I'm past the blasting phase in my build, just haven't caught up to it with this thread but I'm working on it.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 16, 04:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brad

Great thread!! Enjoyed the story. Looking forward to following
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 16, 06:41 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Use this for piping reference and modify to shop layout: Air Piping Layout Devilbiss, Sharpe and others offer professional filters in various prices based on shop needs.

Soda blasting is out these days. It must be thoroughly neutralized or paint failure is imminent. Glass, shells or plastic are new options. Dustless Blasting just keeps the dust down. Those who use glass around here offer on-site containment and clean-up. Warping from blasting has nothing to do with the heat myth. Compressive forces warp panels. Have fun with your job.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode