Rallye Green 69 Z/28 Restoration - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 16, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Earl

Rallye Green 69 Z/28 Restoration

After buying a former Z/28 Super Stock drag racer just a year ago, the restoration of the body & paint is nearing completion. I tore the car down last year, removed the 10 point cage and since then the floors have been completely replaced, the stretched wheels wells have been closed in with new sections, and the body has been stripped and restored back to it's former Day 1 glory with all of it's original body panels intact.

A new sub frame has been installed, the 12 bolt was completely restored, interior is now being redone and the car will be ready for new paint and correct stripes in the coming days. Once it's back home, I'll start the dubious task of putting this Lil Green Z all back together. Here's a link to my website where you can check recent news, see the parts list, and a picture by picture restoration page detailing the way it was found and the restoration it has undergone.

The car should be finished up over the course of the next 10-12 months.

x77z28 (Click here to visit website)

As purchased after 45 years on the race track!

Tear down of the car and removal of the racing equipment Sept 2015

The shell being restored in early 2016

Back on its wheels and nearly ready for paint. (Monday)
1SLOW64 and Holman5312 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 16, 08:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sonny

Garage
Re: Rallye Green 69 Z/28 Restoration

Nice car and excellent back story on this Z, look forward to following the build progress.

1969 Z28 (Sold)
1970 Z28 (Sold)
1970 RS Z28 Camaro (Green)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 16, 09:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Great Website Earl. Nice car.

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 16, 05:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
shawn

Looks great.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 16, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Earl

Car is now blocked out with 400 grit and we've been playing with the body gaps to get the doors and the front clip aligned nicely. Car should be ready for paint in a couple more days.

Andrew69 likes this.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 16, 08:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage

looking great, always loved that color.

Jeff

- 400 Dart Little"M", SRP 10.2:1, 4340 Scat rotating Assy, Solid Roller, AFR 210 Eliminators, Jesel shaft rockers,Super vic, Prosystems 847CFM, Tko600, 12 bolt 4:10 Eaton posi W/ Strange Hy-Tuf race axles and eliminators.
Best E.T. (11.96 @ 118.06) N/A

Classic Copper 4 Spd

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 16, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

That'll be sweet once it's done.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 16, 08:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Glen

Coming along nicely Graeme !!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 16, 09:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Glen

Coming along nicely Earl!!
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Earl

Thanks for the comments guys. Work continues along on the Z28 while I've been busy acquiring some more great parts for the restoration. Today I managed to secure a mint original Rosewood from a local friend who's been restoring these cars for many years and has a great stash of rare Camaro parts. Along with the steering wheel he also hooked me up with a nice pair of original non drip covers, dated and restored horns, a restored master cylinder and a host of other goodies date matched for the car. Also picked up the seats last week after having them recovered in deluxe comfort weave.

Mint original Rosewood w/ NOS Horn Cap

Nice clean pair of original 3932418 covers for the 302

Restored 309 master dated 127 c/w stainless sleeve.

Front seats recovered in Legendary's deluxe comfort weave material.

Rears nicely done with new burlap and new padding undersides.

These will look great when they are installed in the car this summer.
1SLOW64 likes this.

1969 Z/28 Canadian Docs (Now being Restored)
1970 Camaro Canadian Docs
1955 Chevrolet 2nd Series

Website
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Earl

While the parts hunt has continued for a few missing ingredients, we've been busy final fitting the gaps on the doors, fenders, hood and the front Endura bumper. After getting the bumper to fit nicely after 25 years in storage, Ron set out to completely mask the car off today and is now ready to spray the green paint on the exterior. I'll be masking off the stripes with him in the next couple of days and the car will be cut and polished early in the week when everything has cured.

Drivers door gap - rear

Passenger side door gap - rear

Hood gaps along front header panel

Fitting the original rubber bumper

With some tweaking we got this side fitting tighter after taking this picture.

Getting the original VE3 bumper for this car was a bonus. Fits nice!

Pictures from the booth taken an hour ago

Last picture before the car sports 79/79 color throughout

Website
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 06:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage

Looks great, can't wait to see color on that bad boy

Jeff

- 400 Dart Little"M", SRP 10.2:1, 4340 Scat rotating Assy, Solid Roller, AFR 210 Eliminators, Jesel shaft rockers,Super vic, Prosystems 847CFM, Tko600, 12 bolt 4:10 Eaton posi W/ Strange Hy-Tuf race axles and eliminators.
Best E.T. (11.96 @ 118.06) N/A

Classic Copper 4 Spd

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 09:49 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Coming along nicely Earl! Are you sure that's the original front bumper? Just curious because in the as-raced photos on your website, it fits nicely as the originals did, but as pictured in silver, the fit is nowhere near as good. Either way, it looks much better now

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 16, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Earl

The Endura bumper lived on the car from new and the car was raced with the original bumper being on it until the mid 90's (see pictures here). When the third owner bought the car for bracket racing in the mid 90's he painted silver and it still had the bumper. In 2000 he repainted the car silver again and then removed the heavy cowl hood and the rubber bumper in favor of a much lighter fiberglass hood and bumper which were on the car when I bought it.

As soon as I got the car home I started phoning the previous owners to find the original bumper and the steel cowl hood to see if anyone had them. As it turned out they had always stayed with the car and I was told that I should contact the 4th owner who got those parts when he bought it 10 years ago. Luckily, he still had the bumper and the hood when I called him and he was happy to share those with me for a very favorable price provided they were going back on the car.

I have since removed the fiberglass parts and have reunited the car with the old dealer installed cowl hood and the original rubber bumper that came with the car. It was in mint condition to start with but the original inner brackets were lost. It took a bit of fitting to align it nicely and we had to tweak the HBC brackets a touch which now has the bumper fitting perfectly. Here's a shot of the car in its former race trim showing the old rubber on the car, one of it when painted silver in 1996 and the third showing the glass bumper installed. The original was removed around 15 years ago and switched to a glass bumper to reduce weight by 7/8 pounds. I'm just glad it hung around after it was removed.

Original bumper in the late 70's

Original bumper still on the car in 1996

Fiberglass bumper on the car in 2012

Website
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 16, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Earl

Car has color on it now. Pics aren't the greatest but I'll get some better ones after we've masked it up and sprayed the stripes. Side shots are bright because of the camera flash and the paint still needs to dry.

1SLOW64 likes this.

Website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
documented, dz302, rallye green, restoration, z/28

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode