Build Projects follow along start to finish

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 16, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Garage
efgibs Build

No longer a lurker, The depth of knowledge here has inspired me to start my 5th rebuild. I have always had a 69. The last time I counted I could recall junking 9 cars. mostly 69 Camaros but also a Nova and a 69 Firebird convt with a 6 cyl OHC engine. In H.S. I combined a burnt ss and a stolen recovery rs. That got me through A&P school then I rebuilt it with parts from a Nova 1/4mi car. I went on to a 4 year college and acquired a Convertible so I had to combine them again. That was a rush job and body and paint work was completed after graduation. It got butchered by a chump who professed to have skills he didn't have. I was living 2.5 hrs away from my Dad's shop where the work was done. I just couldn't do it all myself. I looked good going by at 35mph. It hurt when people would nit pick it though. The wife and I started a family and moved a few times and the car sat for the past 22 years. I was garaged for some of that time.

I am sure that my budget will make this a long slow build. Thanks in advance to all the builders before me for sharing and inspiring me to start again. Maybe, it will be done for the 50th anniversary HA ha!

ME4NSTRK69 likes this.

Last edited by efgibs; Mar 16th, 16 at 12:20 AM. Reason: adding pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 16, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Garage
Re: efgibs Build

Summary of what Im starting with

This body was a 6 cyl 3 speed on the column, That is long gone. It was fathom green and black. I have an 82 305 with a M21, mismatched floor shifter and linkage, multi leaf 12 bolt non posi with 3.08 gears (I believe) that rear came from my ss 350/300 L48 (also long gone). PS and Power front Discs.

The quarters have had big patch panels and outter wheel opening patches also. The bottom of the B post is a bondo mess and trunk drop offs were hardly finished. Front fenders hide cowl rusted on the bottoms. Drivers side rear floor patch was riveted and bondo-ed in place. I opened the trunk and it is pretty much gone. Mice are living in the car and made quite a mess.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 16, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Garage

I guess everyone likes pictures. This is the last rebuild I did with my Dad's help. I lost him last year. You can see we ignored the lower cowl on the left side. Right side is also rotted. This pic was taken in 1988

Recently I removed the carpet, seats and rear side panels. I'm thinking of doing the full floor first. I'd like to find a discussion regarding order of operations and bracing in such a way as to allow the floor into place. I have a roof installed and wheels on the ground. I thought doing the floor first would help my welding skills improve. It will need: cowl patches, trunk floor, rear quarters, outer wheel houses and trunk drops. I expect to add to this list. The rear panel I don't know if I can save, the welds to the quarters on the lower valence are butt ugly.

H20cooled likes this.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 16, 05:30 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

never too late best of luck looking foward to seeing the progress
efgibs likes this.

1969 Camaro 350 200r4 342 Posi
1987 WE4 Turbo Regal E85
2003 Sierra Stepside RCSB Belltech dropped

MY BUILD THREAD:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 16, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Garage

Recent accomplishements as small as they are, I'm happy with. I removed the hood wipers and cowl cover. Evicted all the mice which had nested under it. the screws for the wiper motor all broke off during removal. the cowl seams and windshield perimeter don't look so good. I guess the windshield will have to come out. Still pondering the best plan of action. after I get the subframe out I will start bracing supports. Building the fixture and or rotisserrie is causing me some concern.

I just got some good news on the intake manifold it is not a knock-off. The "W" with the funny lines around it had me wondering. It seems Winters manufactured intakes for GM. I will be reusing this for sure. No LS for me.

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 16, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Garage

Signature test

What I'm working on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 16, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

Cool, got to dig in and start somewhere. I'll be watching and good luck.
efgibs likes this.

My '69 RS Primer driver project
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 16, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Garage

I forgot I did this... When I modified to an alternator with an internal regulator, it came with a metric thread terminal.

What I'm working on

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 16, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Garage

I'm happy with the progress this weekend. The holes on the subframe under the radiator support look great. Tabs on the support, not so much. After this pic was taken the nose came apart. Most of what I am doing is mental. How am I going to pull this off? There is so much to do. I keep trying to think it through.

What I'm working on

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 16, 05:01 AM
Kevin

E, yes, you just have to push through the metal work. Every first gen resto goes though phase Keep up your build!
efgibs likes this.

Kevin

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 16, 10:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

You got some nice tools!
efgibs likes this.

angel

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 16, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Garage

May was a busy month with my Youngest graduating college. Wife had a long honey do list. On the bright side, I was able to upgrade my 12v cordless drill to a new 20v set of tools.

Then my commuter car bit the dust regardless of my efforts to save it. (88 corolla 247,000mi). The Monte needs a motor. So this required us to add a 2011 Eqinox to our fleet. Work on the Monte and Camaro should resume in July. This month I'm working to much OT. In the meantime research and planning continues.

What I'm working on

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 16, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Garage

delete duplicate post

What I'm working on

Last edited by efgibs; Jul 12th, 16 at 10:21 PM. Reason: duplicate post
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 16, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Garage

I made some progress. Where the exhaust pipes are cut, a lot of mouse debris was found. My wife kept bird seed in the garage and the mice took their share all the way up the pipes. Glad I didn't try and start it. Another thing I learned was that jacking the rear of a car that has been sitting for so long could cause the bolts to pull through the frame holes. The bolt near drivers feet didn't hold. the washer and frame tap didn't hold up.

What I'm working on

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 16, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
E

Garage

pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	subframe out.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	154233  

What I'm working on

Last edited by efgibs; Nov 29th, 16 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode