My 69 conv, restoration - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 16, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stuart

My 69 conv, restoration

Hi all, I am about to start my 69 conv, project. I have a boat load of questions i will be asking along the way since I am some what of a novice.
I have been reading a few threads of well documented posts and hoping mine will come out nearly as well. I need to start with replacing the drivers side rocker assembly, which includes A pillar repair and inner quarter panel repair. So this leads me to my first question; AMD sells an inner quarter repair panel for a coupe, what is the difference between the coupe and convertible? And is it possible to use the lower two inches of the panel? At $80 it would seem to be a waste of money. Any thoughts? I will post progress as soon as I figure how to post pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 16, 08:49 AM
Team Member
Rob

Re: My 69 conv, restoration

Ask away. This is great resource with many knowledgeable folks here willing to share their expertise. I know it was especially helpful for me and even made a few friends along the way.

Good luck!
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 16, 08:54 AM
Kevin

Stuart, rockers on coupe and verts are very different animals. Stick with the vert repair parts, you will save yourself a lot of headaches!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 16, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stuart

Hi Keven, I already have vert rockers, it's the inner quarter panel thet has rusted away from the rocker itself. All the vendors sell a patch panel for the coupes, but none mention if they could be adapted for a vert.
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 16, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stuart

Thanks Rob, I've seen some world class restorations in this forum, and I know I and others to follow will be the benefactors from the wealth of knowledge on the forum. I already have spent hours pouring over others projects. I makes want to do this all day every day until it's finished.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 16, 09:53 AM
Kevin

It depends on how far up the panel the rust goes. Does it get to the kidney panel opening? If so, then you need the vert part. If it does not, then you may be able to fab it up using a coupe one.

Kevin

post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 16, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stuart

It gone about an inch from the rocker and across to the curved section, which is non existent. So I think I will just fab the piece I need. I should be getting my jig plans this week. this will be the first step for now.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stuart

I think this is where I have to start. Before anything else on the body. there isn't much holding the rocker in place, the whole lower section of the A pillar that connects to the rocker is gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160326_134823722.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	143418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160326_135629095.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	143426  
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stuart

Here's some pics that will give some idea of what i'm working on.
floors are gone, rockers will be replaced as will the firewall and a host of other parts.
As I move forward at a slow pace I will add more throughout the build. I will be looking forward to any tips and advice as I am some what of a novice. I have repaired frames and inner fender panels on my Mustang, but this is a huge undertaking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160326_134632112.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	143434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160326_135129228.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	143442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160326_134833695.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	143450  

Name:	IMG_20160326_134228015.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	143458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160326_134504782.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	143466  
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 01:50 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Stuart, I don't know how good your welding skills are, but I would recommend you look into Musclecar Metal. They sell a complete front to rear floor assembly including firewall. http://www.musclecarmetal.com/WIP/Bottom/index.htm

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stuart

Hi Donny, I do have some fab skills, my job uses many skills from minor electronics to wood to steel fab. I have ordered my parts from AMD. I will be building a jig that is from First Generation Jigs. I wish I knew about the site you posted, I might of rethought my build. I am now committed since I have the parts. I'm not to worried about this build, if I get stuck my brother in-law is a body guy.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by floydman; Mar 27th, 16 at 02:35 PM.
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 02:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

That's a big undertaking but you can do it. Break it up into small projects so tht you don't get overwhelmed.

You're on the right track starting with the rockers. The car is built around the rocker location. Once you are done with the jig I would add some bracing to the interior shell to prevent any sagging or flexing. Check it against the factory dimensions so that you know what you are starting with and if any sagging has already occurred. These aftermarket panels will make you question all kinds of things when you are trying to fit them, so take the time to make sure you start off in the right spot.

Good luck and have fun! Watching the transformation with your own sweat equity is worth it.

My Build Thread

post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stuart

Hi Matt, when I was doing some digging, a friend had a 69 coupe shell in his shop, I took as many measurements that I could think of. It checks out side to side, but my car took a big hit before I owned it. I will re set the doors after I repair the lower "A" pillar. I'm hoping that when I set the body on the jig it will be ok, but I have a quarter inch difference on the cross measurements. I will be bracing the doors this week when I feel that they are aligned.
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stuart

As I am reading other threads, I have realized that I am in the wrong forum. I think I should be in the Project build forum.
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 07:23 PM
Kevin

I can move this if you wish. I want to paint my SS Olympic gold!

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode