68 RS PT/Restomod - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

68 RS PT/Restomod

Starting on a new journey. New experience. More than likely a few new scars with hopefully minimal blood loss.

I'm redoing a 68 RS (327/3spd). The motor/trans are long gone. The owner of this car started restoration 25 years ago. He put new GM quarters/tail pain/outer wheel houses. He redid the floor. He bought new GM fenders. He then primered it and promptly let it sit in his garage for the next 25 years. I found it on Racing Junk and drove the 6 hours to take it off his hands. He had a nice butternut yellow 67 and a 67 Chevelle (project) tucked back in the corner of his garage. He gave me tons of stuff, most of which I will never use lol (such as 4 NOS wheel well mouldings still in the wrapper) and some other various NOS items.

I have never worked on a car except for oil and brake changes, but I decided I would go buy a welder and give it the old college try.

First I had to fix some tiny holes in the toe boards (done except for some weld grinding...I won't put a before grinding pic as my welds may scare some younger members).

Next I'm getting ready to drop the subframe and rear, put it on my neighbor's dolly and install a DSE minitub kit. The idea is to stuff 335/30r18's under the rear. After that I need to wire wheel off some surface rust on the interior sail panels and prime them. It should then be ready for paint.

After paint jail, the project will hit a hiatus, as I'm trying not to spend too much at once. I'm torn on powertrain. A 406 with a Holley Sniper EFT and a TKO 500 vs an LS motor with T56. Trying to keep costs down, so while I'd rather have the LS, I may just do a 406. It will be 4 wheel power disc (don't know which brand...whichever is the best value).

I plan on fabbing up my own console (ballsy for a newb, right?) Other than paint, and welding on the brackets for my Ridetech 4 Link, I want to do this car myself.

Anyway, there may be huge gaps in this build thread. My apologies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	143474   Click image for larger version

Name:	G1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	143482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2375.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	143490  

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Re: 68 RS PT/Restomod

Did I mention the doors on this thing are PRISTINE. Almost hate to weld up the trim holes in the bottom...That is the other thing I will not attempt to weld up myself. Those doors are too nice for an amateur to bugger up.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode