11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 16, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Grant

Garage
1968 IMPULS3 Camaro

Greetings,

I've been gathering as much information and insight I can from the forums and other members. I decided to start the build thread to stay motivated and share in the process! I utilize the military base hobby shops and my garage for as much of the work as possible to save money and it's a blast!

After looking up the codes the car was Butternut Yellow with a black vinyl top, V8. My dad had a 1967 Camaro and the first gens have always been a favorite growing up.

My plan:
LS3 415 Stroker
T56 Magnum transmission
Moser 12 bolt w/ Wavetrac 3.73 ratio
RideTech Stage II Coilover Kit
335/275 Tires
18x12, 18x10 Wheels

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I go through the process of bringing the car back to life. Input is always welcome, thanks for following along!

H20cooled and Smitty68 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 06:38 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage
Re: 1968 IMPULS3 Camaro

Thank you for your service.

Best of luck
killawatts4 likes this.

1969 Camaro 350 200r4 342 Posi
1987 WE4 Turbo Regal E85
2003 Sierra Stepside RCSB Belltech dropped

MY BUILD THREAD:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 07:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Hey Grant,

Sounds like a healthy car you are planning on building. Congrats on getting her started. I might suggest that since you are going with a 6 speed, you might want to go a hair lower in the gear ratio to a 3.90 or 4.11. Back in the day, against everyone's suggestions, I had 4:10's in my 12 bolt with a muncie m-22 4 speed wouldn't have traded it for a second. Was sooo much fun to drive - yeah it sucked on the highway, but i lived out in the sticks so those trips were far and few. Now with the addition of 2 added gears - I would (and am) running 4:11's in my build again
Good luck, keep up posted on progress and thx for your service
Smitty68 and killawatts4 like this.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc

Last edited by pittpens24; Apr 3rd, 16 at 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Grant

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
Hey Grant,

Sounds like a healthy car you are planning on building. Congrats on getting her started. I might suggest that since you are going with a 6 speed, you might want to go a hair lower in the gear ratio to a 3.90 or 4.11. Back in the day, against everyone's suggestions, I had 4:10's in my 12 bolt with a muncie m-22 4 speed wouldn't have traded it for a second. Was sooo much fun to drive - yeah it sucked on the highway, but i lived out in the sticks so those trips were far and few. Now with the addition of 2 added gears - I would (and am) running 4:11's in my build again
Good luck, keep up posted on progress and thx for your service
Thanks for the suggestions. I initially thought 3.73 as is what a nice middle ground from what I've ridden in. My old stock WS6 and a friends with 4.10 which seems really aggressive. Wish there was a simple way to test them all
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Earl

I had 373 gears in my last car with a T56 magnum and 6th was seldom used unless I was really moving as it really pulled the motor down. Mind you I was running 713hp/732tq in a big inch motor which never really phased it when i'd roll into it but if I were doing that again it would be 4:10 gears.

GLW the build. Looks like it'll be a fun car.

1969 Z/28 Canadian Docs (Now being Restored)
1970 Camaro Canadian Docs
1955 Chevrolet 2nd Series

Website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Grant

Garage

The roof skin was stretched and had the oil can effect going on. Got a new skin from AMD ready to go once prep is done. Found some sand inside from someone else's restoration. Just need to find someone who can weld it

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 16, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Grant

Garage

Well this is exciting!

My Build Thread
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 16, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Grant

Garage

No coil overs yet as they were on back order. But I did get the rear shipped last week! I appreciate all the advice from everyone, ended up going with the Moser 12 bolt, 35 spline Wavetrac, 3.73 ratio. Need to figure out how to get the full measurements so I can get the wheel offset perfect.

My Build Thread
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 16, 04:23 AM

But if you ever plan on running forced induction.. that first gear will be a tire frying gear! Sounds like a wild ride/ g -machine / pro -tourer.

Good luck with the work.. make sure you plan out your mini tubs first before you do your rear end/ suspension!

Twin Turbo Build

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 16, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Grant

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfalker1 View Post
But if you ever plan on running forced induction.. that first gear will be a tire frying gear! Sounds like a wild ride/ g -machine / pro -tourer.

Good luck with the work.. make sure you plan out your mini tubs first before you do your rear end/ suspension!
I initially thought about boost but decided to keep it NA. I think I'll be happy for quite a while sitting around 600hp
Definitely planning on tubbing. Moser built it for the 335 tires. Need to figure out a good tub kit.

My Build Thread
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 16, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killawatts4 View Post
I initially thought about boost but decided to keep it NA. I think I'll be happy for quite a while sitting around 600hp
Definitely planning on tubbing. Moser built it for the 335 tires. Need to figure out a good tub kit.
Most people I have seen run detroit speed. I know with my twin turbo set .. that my 275's will have zero grip

And sounds good!!!

Twin Turbo Build

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old May 4th, 16, 03:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Looking forward to this build. Good luck!
killawatts4 likes this.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Grant

Garage

So it's been forever since I updated the project. Life hit hard but I'm back and motivated to keep working on the car. I have some hired help now and we actually fit the new roof skin and are prepping for welding. Going to clean up the rust, use some weld through primer, weld it, then seam seal it all up. Excited to keep going...

pittpens24 likes this.

My Build Thread
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 17, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Grant

Garage

Car is getting towed away for new metal and everything lined up and primed at a local shop in Colorado Springs. LS3 should be finished in the next couple months as well. Feels great to be making progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZZ_430 and Triman8654 like this.

My Build Thread
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 17, 02:20 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Cool Re: 1968 IMPULS3 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by killawatts4 View Post
Car is getting towed away for new metal and everything lined up and primed at a local shop in Colorado Springs. LS3 should be finished in the next couple months as well. Feels great to be making progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colorado Springs was my home town before moving to a warmer climate.

What shop?

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode