Salvage 67 RS build! - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Salvage 67 RS build!

I started this build a couple weeks ago and have been tracking it elsewhere so the posts will come quickly at first.

My dream car for probably 20 years has been a 1967/68 Camaro RS.

I didn't actually want one that was in great shape because I have always liked to work on cars and wanted a good project. I bought a 1967 Camaro RS roller. I spent a good couple of years looking for the "right" one at the right price and finally found it. The previous owner unfortunately registered it as a "Dismantle" title a few months ago so it is technically a "Salvage" vehicle in Arizona now. I don't plan on ever selling it so might as well bring this lil'guy back to life.

I figured why not track this multiyear project on the site that has given me so much inspiration?

I'm told it was originally an RS, v8 with a 4 speed but the cowl tag was missing so I can't verify any of it. It has the right valance and tail panel for an RS but who knows what it has gone through in the last 50 years.

Body wise from first glance, it is going to need new quarter panels, door skins, a grille, trunk pan, at least partial floor patches and possibly new fenders because I'm pretty sure the fenders that are on it are not RS fenders. I have since found that you can get adapters for relatively cheap to make the standard fenders work for an RS grille so I might go that way. It came with all but the Driver and Passenger windows, so windshield, back, vent windows and the rear seat windows. For some reason there is an Auto steering column installed which I will have to replace. Also for an unknown reason, the seats are in really good condition, the frames/springs are obviously original but the upholstery is nearly new.

Total price at this point: $3550, $3500 for the car and $50 to load it in a car hauler and deliver it to my driveway from across town.

I am a complete novice at body work and only okay at welding (I can make things stick together!) so this will be an experience.

Here are the first round of pictures:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Salvage 67 RS build!

Spent about 2 hours working on it tonight. (3/24/16)

I put about 10 minutes into checking random places for bondo to see how bad it was. I was already planning on replacing the quarter panels due to obviously cracking bondo but it was surprising/almost laughable to see just how much was on the left hand side. It was about 3/4" thick at the worst. The right hand quarter panel was actually fairly decent but I am probably going to replace it anyway. Other than the door skins which I was already going to replace, the only bondo is on the quarter panels.

I vacuumed up at least 40lbs of dirt and debris then went at the left over stuff like seam sealer and carpet pad with a screw driver. I got most of it up but haven't cleaned it out of the car yet so it looks almost just as dirty as it was when I got it.

Progress pictures, 99% of the "dark" spots that look like holes are actually rubber from the seam sealer that I chipped off:

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Spent about 4 more hours on it today. (03/26/2016)

I did some more cleaning/rust checking on the interior and found some that is probably patch-able but I might just replace those sections of the floor pan. I also took off the front clip, subframe, and doors.

From a quick inspection, the subframe really isn't that bad. Although someone did a **** hack job in the driver side rail under where the core support mounts.

And I wiped the windshield down with a wet paper towel, probably the biggest improvement of the day!

Pictures:

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage

(04/02/2016)

Didn't get to do a ton today but got the trunk lid off, cleared the parts out of the trunk, cleaned up a little, and put the rear of the car on jack stands.

Now that the trunk is cleaned out it looks like someone just took a piece of sheet metal and panel adhesive'd it into place in the trunk.

Agenda for the weekend, get the rear end and leaf springs off. If I have time drop the fuel tank.

Annnnd pictures:

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Had some friends over for dinner today so didn't get much done. Got the rear window out though. Hopefully can spend a few hours tomorrow to get the rear end off of the car.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 05:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Garage

First off welcome......

Looks like you are on your way......beside taking many pictures, bagging and tagging hardware etc....measurements of existing sheet metal is very helpful on the road to restoration.

Put a tape measure in the photos, before cutting away metal in all the before pics. You will glad you did. (a seamstress tape can be easily taped in place for photos)

Good luck and keep the pictures coming... many very knowledgeable members here to help with what's and where's.

One more suggestion... forget keeping track of the $$$$.....never know when the significant other may look at your spread sheet.......
BRICO69 likes this.

8 Ball Racing
Member #120
1969 X77 9 E 69 302 M21 Wallace Chevrolet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 RSSS rag top 7 E 69 350 turbo 350
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Triple Blue 10 D 68

1968 Chevelle 03 A 68
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

Welcome! You are on your way, enjoy the journey. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 16, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballracing View Post
First off welcome......

Looks like you are on your way......beside taking many pictures, bagging and tagging hardware etc....measurements of existing sheet metal is very helpful on the road to restoration.

Put a tape measure in the photos, before cutting away metal in all the before pics. You will glad you did. (a seamstress tape can be easily taped in place for photos)

Good luck and keep the pictures coming... many very knowledgeable members here to help with what's and where's.

One more suggestion... forget keeping track of the $$$$.....never know when the significant other may look at your spread sheet.......
That is a good idea, thanks for the advice! The wife part I'm not worried about, she's keeping Amazon afloat with how much she buys from there. I can have my one project.

Also, being a Salvage car, I have to keep track of the receipts for the inspection to get it back on the road. Basically so I can prove I didn't rebuild it with stolen parts.

While my body work skills are not really there, I am good at keeping track of everything pictures wise so expect a LOT of pictures.

Didn't get to the gas tank because while I was moving the rear end I looked at my DD and saw one of the windows was rolled down. Its a 10 year old car and I've put probably 10 window regulators in it, starting to get annoying. The last one that broke I just put a 2x4 in the door and screwed it down, so I did the same for this window until a new regulator comes in. I may order both regulators this time to get it all back up and running.

That said, got the rear end out today. I had to be creative with getting it from under the car to the side yard. I ended up setting one side of it on my creeper and the other side on the jack then pulled it into the driveway and through the RV gate.

Have some pictures!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 16, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Didn't feel like I got enough done this weekend so I went at the fuel filler neck. It took way too long to get it off because somehow the previous owner put the hose clamp on backwards so I couldn't get a screwdriver on it. I had to use a combination of needle nose pliers, tin snips, and a chisel/hammer to cut the hose clamp then pulled the filler neck out of the top with a LOT of wiggling.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 16, 06:17 AM
Senior Tech
ray

Looks like lots of work ahead but that is part of the fun. Good luck with your build,
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 16, 07:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Looks like you are off to a good start! I too kept all my receipts so far but one thing I will not do anytime soon is start adding them up - some things are better left unknown for atleast a while lol. Good luck and have fun!

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 16, 11:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ron

Good luck! Looks like a great start.

Ron

Camaros I've owned/own:
1982 Camaro (Sold)
1984 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1986 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1989 Camaro IROC Z (Sold)
1994 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1967 Camaro 406 SBC/200R4 (Rebuilding)
2010 Camaro RS/SS (Daily Driver)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 16, 01:12 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Nice project and good start.

A few suggestions you may or may not know and Ohio may have differant rules, but for what it's worth:

My 68 had a salvaged titled. If you have not done so, make sure you verify your hidden VIN numbers to your actual VIN, a cowl tag missing may or may not be a big deal to your inspection in your state, I would call and check. Before sinking a ton of money in, I would check these things first and foremost.

Get yourself a big thick 3 ring binder and a bunch of 3 holed punch clear pouches to keep track of your receipts, I also divided mine up into sections, engine, body, sheet metal, interior etc. (This will impress the inspector and make his job a lot easier and may give ya pass on some grey areas they would usually flag.)

No ebay receipts, no swap meet items, Craiglist etc. unless on a receipt with brick and mortar address. (Any major parts, (engine, tranny, rear end etc., you must have donor vehicle VIN number to match the parts.)

Car must be street legal for inspection, lights, turn signals, horn, mirrors, seat belts, glass BUT does not need to be painted or complete interior. I had seats and stuff in, but center console, door panels and glove box were not installed when I had mine inspected.

When ya get real close to being done, call and make your appointment. The soonest I could get in was two months. They fill up fast.

Like I said, I'm in Ohio, your state may less or more leniant and you are correct, it is not a safety inspection, but a stolen goods inspection. Anything you use you think might be a lil skethcy, do not use, I had an ol M-20 4 speed, but the numbers were smeared from someone at one point dragging it or scuffed it, I sold it and found another one as I did not want them to think I tried to mess with serial number.

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 16, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRider View Post
Nice project and good start.

A few suggestions you may or may not know and Ohio may have differant rules, but for what it's worth:

My 68 had a salvaged titled. If you have not done so, make sure you verify your hidden VIN numbers to your actual VIN, a cowl tag missing may or may not be a big deal to your inspection in your state, I would call and check. Before sinking a ton of money in, I would check these things first and foremost.

Get yourself a big thick 3 ring binder and a bunch of 3 holed punch clear pouches to keep track of your receipts, I also divided mine up into sections, engine, body, sheet metal, interior etc. (This will impress the inspector and make his job a lot easier and may give ya pass on some grey areas they would usually flag.)

No ebay receipts, no swap meet items, Craiglist etc. unless on a receipt with brick and mortar address. (Any major parts, (engine, tranny, rear end etc., you must have donor vehicle VIN number to match the parts.)

Car must be street legal for inspection, lights, turn signals, horn, mirrors, seat belts, glass BUT does not need to be painted or complete interior. I had seats and stuff in, but center console, door panels and glove box were not installed when I had mine inspected.

When ya get real close to being done, call and make your appointment. The soonest I could get in was two months. They fill up fast.

Like I said, I'm in Ohio, your state may less or more leniant and you are correct, it is not a safety inspection, but a stolen goods inspection. Anything you use you think might be a lil skethcy, do not use, I had an ol M-20 4 speed, but the numbers were smeared from someone at one point dragging it or scuffed it, I sold it and found another one as I did not want them to think I tried to mess with serial number.
Thanks for the advice! I hope the cowl tag doesn't cause any issues, I assume it shouldn't since it doesn't really contain anything relevant to the DMV.

I did verify the cowl VIN and the firewall VIN both match the door jamb tag. The door jamb tag is an Arizona DMV re-issued VIN sticker that is stuck over the existing plate. All 3 of those match the title so I should be good there.

Good to hear I'm not the only one bringing a salvage car back to life though!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 16, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I doubt mine would have been salvaged by todays standards and not positive why it was in the first place. The story I was told was it was wrecked back in the early to mid 80's. Front end damage. The car came with all GM front end parts in the boxes. (Grille, light benzels, header panel, front fenders, radiator support, etc.) so the story makes sense. Car had a little rust behind rear wheel wells but that was about it, the rest of the car was solid.

I was the third person to bring it back, the first two that got it got cold feet on the salvage inspection. I have receipts for the car by two previous owners, the first receipt is dated 1984 for the front end stuff from a GM dealer in Dayton Ohio. The front end metal was hung but car was never completed and sat for years and years in storage.

You can call the inspection terminal and they should have a list of things to follow and keep track of (At least Ohio did).

Good Luck and have fun.

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode