Build Projects follow along start to finish

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 208 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 18, 03:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage
Re: The Hugger69 goes ZL-1!

Man that thing looks great and sounds awesome.

Check out Billet Badges for a ZL-1 emblem. They custom made badges for my build. Check it out over on the "Badge or not to Badge thread"

https://www.camaros.net/forums/34-re...not-badge.html

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 208 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 18, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hakan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
Man that thing looks great and sounds awesome.

Check out Billet Badges for a ZL-1 emblem. They custom made badges for my build. Check it out over on the "Badge or not to Badge thread"

https://www.camaros.net/forums/34-re...not-badge.html
Thanks Greg, already done!
pittpens24 likes this.

1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 208 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hakan

Garage

Well the summer has pasted and now were entering the winter here in Sweden but no snow yet!

The Hugger didn't run that many hours that I wanted too because of a lot of things but the main one was the starter.

It was a rebuilt one I got from a friend that got it from a friend so I didn't really know so much about it, but it worked ok when we ran the ZL-1 in the dyno.
But running in the street is a different ball game and here it did not deliver. Despite my original GM heat shield, which btw is too small, the starter got to hot when you tried to stat if again after a quick stop. It didn't even made a click when turning the key....so I had to put the starter on the to-do-list for this winter.

I at least got the car to the biggest car event my town during this summer together with my 427-pal Nikke, as you may know from this forum. Here are our orange monsters together in my garage and at the show. We really got some attention with our rides among the 1500 other cars that attended!

But during the up coming cruise night I had to feed the beast but I didn't get any further then this due to the troubles mentioned above.

My ZL-1 does givs a LOT of raw and fun power as it sits but it has been very difficult to just get it out from the garage, especially when its cold. But we think we have the solution for that.
My old 750 Holley 4 barrel didn't really match the spec of the engine and the old converter that I kept had to low stall speed. Together with a borrowed distributor it was a fight to get the car out of the garage and running...

Therefore a new custom made carb based on a 4 barrel Holley from https://www.smicarburetor.com arrived the other day to the home of the Hugger. It has an electric choke and a vacuum secondary to match the TH350 and gettin the power smoothly instead of instant. I've heard that this was the intention from Chevrolet from the beginning, when having a street usable ZL-1 together with an automatic!?

I also ordered a custom made distributor from Performance Distributors and I came earlier this summer. Both this parts has been built based on the specs from my ZL-1 engine so it really hope that this will do the trick!

We also got our new 3000+ stall speed converter from B&M Holeshot Torque series part no 20413.

So now it just a matter of time and effort to get the Hugger up & running next summer again, let the winter start!

1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Hgger69; Nov 23rd, 18 at 02:49 AM.

post #184 of 208 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hakan

Garage

Not much are happening here at the moment....

Im waiting for the desire to work on the car to come back again and still missing some parts from the US.
Hopefully we will get the tranny down but it's not going to be easy when you have a small garage without a car lift.
At least the Hugger is placed on four jack stands, the tranny is empty on oil and the drive shaft is done so now its just the rest left to do.

The starter is back from the starter shop and it has been overhauled big time and hopefully it will work better this time. The bendix gear has been replaced and is now made from Brazilian (!) steel, apparently the best a man can get!? All bearings and wiring has replaced as well, among other things.

I also got the new aluminum oil pan for the TH350 tranny from the US and I really think this raw cast look will match the ZL-1!

post #185 of 208 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 07:03 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Hakan-take your time! The urge to work on it will come back. Car looks great...even sitting there

Bruce

Donate Life, Become an Organ and/or a tissue donor
post #186 of 208 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 07:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Hakan, it's very typical to have to walk away from it once in a while. Been there done that myself. Sometimes you just need a break and have to recharge your batteries. Take your time, and don't get discouraged. We have all been there at one time or another. Hang in there. The car looks awesome!

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #187 of 208 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 07:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Hakan, Just listened to your videos and your car sounds really awesome. Must be really exciting to drive it around Sweden! I really like your buddy's Stinger hood. Is that really an external tach mount on it? I would be interested in learning more about it if you or he knows.

Thanks,

Brett......

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #188 of 208 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hakan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplantdad View Post
Hakan-take your time! The urge to work on it will come back. Car looks great...even sitting there
Thanks Bruce, I will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 69 View Post
Hakan, it's very typical to have to walk away from it once in a while. Been there done that myself. Sometimes you just need a break and have to recharge your batteries. Take your time, and don't get discouraged. We have all been there at one time or another. Hang in there. The car looks awesome!
Thanks Matt, I really appreciate your comments, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Hakan, Just listened to your videos and your car sounds really awesome. Must be really exciting to drive it around Sweden! I really like your buddy's Stinger hood. Is that really an external tach mount on it? I would be interested in learning more about it if you or he knows.
Thanks,
Brett......
Yes, Brett its rather unusual with a ZL-1 tribute here in Sweden and yes, that's a real deal old Chevy external tach! Nikke never uses anything that's not period correct!
xplantdad likes this.

post #189 of 208 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 08:05 AM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

I really like your buddy's Stinger hood. Is that really an external tach mount on it? I would be interested in learning more about it if you or he knows.

Thanks,

Brett......[/QUOTE]

1st gen Firebird or GTO?
FIREBIRD TACHOMETERS
post #190 of 208 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hakan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slazisme View Post
1st gen Firebird or GTO?
FIREBIRD TACHOMETERS
Neither! I really think this a the real deal Chevy hood tach!

post #191 of 208 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hakan

Garage

Its been a while but now weve started to work on the Hugger again!

Its time to get the tranny down, change the converter and check the status of the TH 350. I really don't know it its possible to do this kind of work in a smal home garage without any lifts but well at least try!

The tranny was emptied on oil, as good as it gets, weeks ago and now we started to disconnect everything and took the bolts out between the engine and tranny.
Its a very tight fit with a CBB in a Camaro so we hade to remove the distributor before we could reach the three top bolts. The distributor is to be changed anyway so. I'm very lucky to have a very suitable friend helping me with work and he's in a perfect shape for getting in the engine area!

My kustom-buddy Ludde has made his own wheel stands and as they where almost perfect in color match I just had to try them! Hugger Orange is never wrong!

After some work I got the Hugger up in the air:

I do hope the height will be enough for this work but it will show, I guess!

....to be continued!

post #192 of 208 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 01:08 PM
Probationer
Ricardo

Send a message via Yahoo to RichardCR

Hi !, I'm just joining to this "community" , and find this amazing thread !
I just build a BB ZL-1 and today I install it !
I like to use an external oil filter base and cooler, and was looking for some information to install and route the oil lines from the engine filter base or engine block ?
post #193 of 208 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 01:11 PM
Probationer
Ricardo

I will take some time to read the complete thread.
post #194 of 208 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Hakan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCR View Post
I will take some time to read the complete thread.
Yes it will, but youre welcome!

I dont have the external oil filter as you can see so I cant advise you on that, sorry!

post #195 of 208 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 07:18 PM
Probationer
Ricardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgger69 View Post
Yes it will, but youre welcome!

I dont have the external oil filter as you can see so I cant advise you on that, sorry!
Hakan; awesome project, beautifull 69 RS !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode