Twin Turbo Pro-Touring 68 Camaro RS - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 16, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Twin Turbo Pro-Touring 68 Camaro RS

Hmmm, this build has been posted before at Pro-touring ... well the old part. But the new part I will be posting over here because it seems that if it is not an some crazy build it is not really cared for. Thus since my car is a camaro and non LS, it is like being connecter too a ghost town. But rant is over... on too what is done.

The Car an original RS car, (all I can tell you) was when I got it a slow non-turning / stoping piece of metal.

Thus I thought I could upgrade the wheels, and exhaust system... And bam like magic my 350 small block would roar to life.

I Could not be more wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 16, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Re: Twin Turbo Pro-Touring 68 Camaro RS

Cool build, like to see the 68's get some love too, everyone is doing the 69's now it seems.

So what are the plans for the motor?
Glad to see you are keeping it Gen 1 small block, but the man love for the LS is pretty thick over here too....

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 16, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Thus the massive rebuild was underway. ... I want this car to have power, be able to stop, corner and have a incredibly nice sound system

So I bought a 383 crate engine... (With cast internals, (hyper eutectic pistons ) WHY!!!!!!
dropped it in front of a 700r4 auto tranny and went after it

After the engine was put in ... decided well to overbuild the car (don't ask me why)

So a detroit locker was put in on a ford 9
1300 hp rated be cool radiator
The Biggest front kore3 brakes I could fit on the front wheels and a whole bunch of other stuff

Hotchkis Suspension
Speed tech Upper and lower control arms
Global West Sub Frame COnnectors and some how it all worked out
With a rare set of NEWGEN WHEELS AND I had a sweet look car

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 16, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Well after getting the inside together. Some
Ariza Racing seats to match the 68's interior

and my fondness to keep the original gauges but have a muscle car feel to it left me with that

I discovered that my car could take a corner and slow down but it really was pretty slow. That plus buying 1993 Single Turbo Supra putting around 600 rwhp and the car did not perform to expected. Maybe it was the Holley double pumper not being tuned right. But it was slow in my mind, and the 2.5 inch side exit spin tech exhaust was drowning my sound system completely out
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 16, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Well Long story short... and bent right rear irreplaceable NewGen Rim

I bought a 2014 jeep and at that moment my Camaro popped up and said hey I want some attention.
My mind went to power. not the original gauges that did not work, the leaky billet gas cap. Just power since the rims had been replaced already.

18x8 18x9 BonSpeed Jag-X Wheels
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 16, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

So after a small amount of reading and figuring the procharger would be more expensive and talking to the guys at C&S Specialties I decided that the twin turbo was the cheaper way to go ... because with the pro-charger I would need to change my billet Serpinetine Kit,,,, hahahahahahah

I laugh at that decision,

So The dream of the turbos are born... that plus replacing the gauges with auto meter american muscle gauges (a working speedometer )
A new Ridetech Gas Cap

And a whole bunch of power
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 16, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Thus My current problem. Most people with big huge turbos don't daily there vehicle and run little front drag tires up front.. but since I am running twin 70 mm turbos Engine Space has shrunk. Plus the fact that the inner wheel welds are staying put and you we have a but of a fitment issue.

Nothing wants to work.

However after a few weeks and taking the old turbo manifold and re-welding we have manage to get the turbo's in a good spot and it is time to get the the cold side done and a whole bunch of other things. Here some pics

the manifold stock

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 16, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

vs it rewelded and bent inwards

We even managed to get it at an angle good enough to run a short aircleaner off a 90 on each turbo

Also in the first picture a new MSD Box that controls timing was needed since the turbos are installed! A good way to spend 500 bucks
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 16, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rs406 View Post
Cool build, like to see the 68's get some love too, everyone is doing the 69's now it seems.

So what are the plans for the motor?
Glad to see you are keeping it Gen 1 small block, but the man love for the LS is pretty thick over here too....
Well Thank you and it just a basic 4 bolt 383 from blueprint . The plan is to run about 10 lbs to 16 pounds of boost until it can't take anymore and after go to a built dart block if needed !

The guys at C&S specialty have the carb, wastegate springs and mad box dialed in to run the maximum amount of boost already for the engine as is.

So only time will tell and yes ! 68 LLOVEEEEEEE!!!!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 16, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Well we got the oil pan out so we could put the return line for the turbos and what madness did we find but a broken motor mount. So had to order two news ones and that is about it.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 16, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Here is picture of my trunk, we are planning to mounting the battery on the left side for better weight distribution

Also the RS Billet Gas Cap is for sell, I upgraded too

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

the carnage! Not sure if many people can say that they broke a motor mount but here is the pic ! Thank God I went twin turbos or I would not have known

Twin Turbo Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 03:35 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Looks good so far.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 06:28 AM
Team Member
Shad

Wow, those are large for twins. Hope you don't have trouble spooling them... I want to go twins so bad, but I just don't want to fight with all the extra tubing. Keep us some pics going, I'm setting my engine in now and will be mocking up my hot side in the next few weeks.

My Mistress rebuild...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 16, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss86 View Post
Wow, those are large for twins. Hope you don't have trouble spooling them... I want to go twins so bad, but I just don't want to fight with all the extra tubing. Keep us some pics going, I'm setting my engine in now and will be mocking up my hot side in the next few weeks.
Yea I wonder about that too! 70's are big and my single turbo supra has some lag and it's only 6768. So this should be laggy, but the engine has some power already so I will live ... just throttle throttle throttle till the boost is at zero and hang on!

Are you doing a single?

Twin Turbo Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode