Project "Deep Gambit": '69 RS/SS Rebuild - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old May 30th, 16, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris M.

Project "Deep Gambit": '69 RS/SS Rebuild

Enough beating around the bush, let's make this project official.

Fifteen years ago, a '69 Camaro Z10 was tucked away into a quaint little barn somewhere in the fertile farmland of rural Illinois. Destiny (and a wire transfer of $8,000) has put this sleeping beauty into my ownership and it will soon rise from beneath its pee-stained moving blankets to achieve its former glory. My first order of business has been to assign it a NATO-style codename to make it sound exciting, and have dubbed this project "Deep Gambit" after some thoughtful meditation and also using this codename generator thingy online. It's a fitting name because I will likely have to delve deep into my bank accounts to finish this project and it's certainly a gambit because right now I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Also, "Hairy Flamingo" and "Clumsy Bagpipe" were the first two results in the codename generator and I thought they just didn't command the respect a '69 RS/SS Camaro should bring.

The car is scheduled for delivery to my garage in Tucson, AZ over 4th of July weekend. Between now and then, I'm building a shopping list for my garage and keeping an eye on Craigslist to get things ready. My short list includes:

- 220vAC installation
- Ziplock bags for storing and labeling parts
- 80-gallon air compressor
- Media blasting cabinet
- Workbench construction
- Tabletop parts washer
- Pneumatic tools
- Oven (for powder coating smaller components)
- MIG welder

I also heard you should have plenty of Ziplock bags on hand for storing and labeling parts, so I'll probably add that to my shopping list.

I'll throw a few pictures up to start documenting the restoration process. I've already spent dozens of hours on this forum going through several build threads (350sshugger, 6781camaro, tpsmith and many others) trying to get an idea for what I'm in for, and I'm already tremendously grateful to all the folks who have detailed their restoration projects so meticulously. I hope to contribute to future build projects in the same way you folks have already helped me. I am a "resto_noob" in every sense, so please be understanding when I post questions like, "how do I glue two pieces of metal together?" or, "what does the transmission do?"

Looking forward to getting Deep Gambit out of that barn in Illinois and into my Tucson, AZ garage! These first few pics are how the car currently looks in its nesting place among all the feral barn cats.

-Chris

Last edited by resto_noob; Aug 30th, 19 at 07:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old May 31st, 16, 10:48 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage
Re: Project "Deep Gambit": '69 RS/SS Rebuild

Looks like a good project, good luck!

My '69 RS Primer driver project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old May 31st, 16, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Wow. That doesn't look like much of a project. It looks like some soap, water and wax will get you riding down the road in style! Congrats and good luck!

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old May 31st, 16, 05:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Congrats! Oh and don't forget to get some ziplock bags

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 16, 07:16 AM
ds1
Senior Tech
Dan

Garage

I always tell people new to restoration work to CLEAN UP everyday when you are done for the day. Sweep, vacuum and put your tools away everyday even though you may come back to the same part of the project again. Clean and organized helps keep your mind motivated. Also it will help you get back into the groove and remember what you were doing and what you want to do. I also keep a nice set of wheels around and put on the car. Nice shiny wheels add to the visual effect and make you feel good about you project and keep you motivated to finish.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 16, 07:43 AM
John

Garage

Storage shelves to put parts on. Very important in organizing a project and take lots of pictures as you take the car apart.

I use 3 ring binders for all my projects. Divider for receipts, instructions, electrical etc. Works out that as I built a car I'm also building a owners manual that's easy to reference when needed.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 16, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris M.

All good advice! Leaving a dirty work space is nails on a chalkboard for me so I'll definitely be keeping that in check. Gotta fix the shelving/storage situation first. More pictures coming soon when the car makes the journey in a few short weeks!
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 16, 06:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Looks like a great project. I might just have to run down to Tucson to have a look

'68 RS
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 16, 08:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I would suggest a proper air delivery system to keep water out of your air tools and off your project - and convenient locations to attach your hoses. Something like this: Air Piping Layout
Looks like a fun project! Are you planning on putting a big block back in it?
HawkX66 likes this.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 16, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh56 View Post
I would suggest a proper air delivery system to keep water out of your air tools and off your project - and convenient locations to attach your hoses. Something like this: Air Piping Layout
Looks like a fun project! Are you planning on putting a big block back in it?
That's the basic design I used with copper. I would never use black pipe like I see a lot of guys use. Black pipe rusts and forms scale etc on the inside. Also, go with 3/4" main feed and tee off into 1/2" for your drops.

This is the air compressor I ended up going with. The only thing I'd do different is get an 80 gal and a 1,750 rpm vs the 3,400 or so that mine is. Not a big deal though. It works excellent.

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 16, 07:38 AM
John

Garage

I would use this instead of copper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Air System.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	150681

RapidAir 3/4in. MaxLine Compressed Air Piping System Master Kit, Model# M7500 | Air Compressor Piping Kits| Northern Tool + Equipment

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 16, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Definitely a nice system, but I like sweating copper tubing. I just feel like it's a more sturdy system for a shop too. Especially around welding. The biggest advantage of copper is if I want to add a drop or make a change. I go get a couple of fittings and copper tube that are relatively cheap and readily available anywhere and away you go. I'm sure the other system has it's advantages too.

Semper Fi!

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 16, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris M.

Wow, see, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to get by posting a build thread. I'm planning my compressed air system as we speak and this helps tremendously. Anybody have reviews for the 80-gal Husky brand compressors available at Lowe's or Home Depot? The price tag seems kind of cheap compared to used compressors on Craigslist or Ebay and I'm wondering how well those hold up.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 16, 02:23 PM
John

Garage

I just picked up a 20 gal Husky for my garage. So far I like it.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 16, 07:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I have had a 80 gallon Huskey for over 15 years and it has worked great. I do not use it every day or even every week depending what I am doing on the car. It says "Made in USA" on the side of the compressor and I do not know if that is the still the case. I have run small grinders, impact tools, drills and the like with it with no problems. It was quite a bit cheaper then the current 80 gallon offerings from them. IR makes good compressors.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode