2Likes
  • 1 Post By DOUG G
  • 1 Post By 1967RSSS396

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 16, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

My On-Again/Off-Again Relationship

My Dad helped me buy this car when I was 16 back in 1992. It was rough. No air, no heat, maybe 1/2 an interior, a worn out 327, 14x6 Crager SSTs with purple spinners on the front and 15x10s with bald tires in the back. It had a body full of Bondo and a crazy metal flake purple paint job with lots of swirly pin stripes and a large, cursive "Hot Rod" hand painted on the rear spoiler.

I got my first speeding ticket in it a little over a year later and Dad made good on his promise for it to be parked for 2 months if that happened. I figured if I couldn't drive it, might as well pull the engine and work on it. Dad was more than a little upset when he saw the engine hanging from the hoist when he got home that day. I still haven't finished putting it back together correctly.

I did the body work back in the summer of '94 and had it not-so-professionally painted. Fortunately, there's a lot you can do with sandpaper and a polishing wheel. Paid a guy to make a button-tuck interior for it in his garage. Blew up an engine back in 2003 (I think) and bought a GM Performance Parts crate 350 and figured that would solve all my problems. Put a rebuilt TH350 behind it. Long story short, I had about 4 carbs, a few burnt coils, a couple distributors, and countless electrical gremlins trying to get it running reliably. In 2003 or so, I also did a cheap front suspension downgrade with 2" drop spindles and a budget disc brake conversion "kit". Since then, if I was lucky enough to get the car to move, it was nearly unstoppable, literally.

It's been sitting in the same place for 12 years or so. Every now and then I'd pull it out thinking I might get everything sorted out.... until I'd run into a bigger issue and park it again. But yesterday I finally decided I need to make an investment in time and money and get it going again. Here goes....

Yesterday morning:

Yesterday afternoon:

1969 Yellow/black Std Coupe Camaro. GMPP Crate 330hp/350 + TH350 trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 16, 03:32 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: My On-Again/Off-Again Relationship

Oh snap, here we go again

Time to make time (like I'm one to talk ) Give her the love she needs, and make your adolescent dream come true
yellow69RS likes this.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 16, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Doug,

I think "Oh Snap" or something to that effect went through my head hundreds of times as I laid awake nearly all night worrying about what I've gotten myself into.

Going to see about a 200-4r tranny today.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 16, 07:12 AM
Senior Tech
-

Well I guess it easy to get to the transmission with the motor out of the way....

You could go back with a stock engine harness, that may help towards solving the electrical gremlins and give you a cleaner look.

Also while you have the motor out spray that baby orange (keep accessories black)

(Maybe you could explain why the brakes didn't work, I didn't understand that part of your story.)

Looking for: Original spiral shocks- 3192477(front),3192851(rear)
-An original LOF soft ray windshield
-JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET items-Plymouth Michigan (1968-1970)
*looking for DZ block 19L503829 124379L503829
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 16, 09:50 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yes - you made the move forward. Every inch is a triumph. AS I said in my message, don't let those one step up, three staps back you are bound to hit the first few weeks drown your spirit.

I agree get as close back to stock running electrically in the engine bay should solve some gremlins. There are decent repair kits or you may just say frack it and pull the harness from the bulkhead connector and either rewire it yourself, or buy a replacement from American Auto Wire factoryfit.com if you are still running points, americanautowire.com for the classic update product line if you are running HEI.

I'm confused about the brakes as well. Sounds like no vacuum assist. Is the booster getting enough from your engine or is your cam the issue there? If so you can supplement the vacuum with a pump. Maybe it is just the wrong rod if your issue with brakes is you are not getting enough pedal push to engage the brakes fully?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 17, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

It's on again! (After nearly a year).

On my birthday a couple weeks ago, I stopped in the Ridetech facility near where I live. Those guys gave me the VIP treatment and everyone I met stopped working to talk, answer questions, and give advice. Got a tour of the entire facility. I was very impressed. I decided to purchase a full front and rear coilover kit with the tru turn upgrade. Now that I have some major money invested in this, I'm forcing myself to make this project a priority.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 17, 07:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Looking good but you missed a spot on the firewall when you painted the subframe.

FYI.

On a more serious note: The 200r4 is a great trans. Get a shifter kit before putting it in. Also be sure to read up real well on how to set it up properly so you don't blow it up. Easy to get to the starting point if you pull the pan off it and measure the pin clearance.

Once you read up on it you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 17, 07:16 AM
John

Garage

Research you header selection as many will not clear the Tru-turn
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 17, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
Looking good but you missed a spot on the firewall when you painted the subframe.

FYI.

On a more serious note: The 200r4 is a great trans. Get a shifter kit before putting it in. Also be sure to read up real well on how to set it up properly so you don't blow it up. Easy to get to the starting point if you pull the pan off it and measure the pin clearance.

Once you read up on it you'll see what I'm talking about.
Thanks. I ended up not purchasing the 200r4. It was a little rough. Still thinking about my transmission selection. Talked to the owner of performanceoverdrives.com about a custom beefed up 700R4. He has me mostly convinced to purchase from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Research you header selection as many will not clear the Tru-turn
I have some new 3/4 length Hedman headers that were made for my GMPP crate 350HO engine. My old long tube most likely will not work. Hope the Hedman's will.

I started pulling out the interior. Removed all the ancient insulation and asphalt matting that looks like it might be original. Had a car builder stop by last night to inspect the body. He said given a few minor rust bubbles under the paint no bigger than a dime, the sheet metal is some of the best he's seen which made me feel better. I always thought the rust spots would be more trouble some. Looks like no major sheet metal replacements.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 17, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Hope I'm not spamming my own thread with pics, but here are some old ones.

1993: The paint was like that when I got it (ha), but I didn't care. I had my dream car.

1994: Decided to strip the whole car with some paint remover and a putty knife. I had no idea what I was doing.

1995: Got it painted the way I wanted. My yard sale wheels didn't fit, but they were all I could afford.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 17, 01:51 PM
Apprentice
Craig

Those stripes aren't so bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170802_144514_1501703468376.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	189217  
englemac likes this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 17, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
-

So what color are you going to go back with?

Looking for: Original spiral shocks- 3192477(front),3192851(rear)
-An original LOF soft ray windshield
-JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET items-Plymouth Michigan (1968-1970)
*looking for DZ block 19L503829 124379L503829
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 17, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967RSSS396 View Post
Those stripes aren't so bad.
Hey, that's close! When I had what was left of the clear coat polished up, the stripes and purple metal flake paint definitely stood out in the high school parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLITT65 View Post
So what color are you going to go back with?
I really have no idea. Paint and wheels are two things I should have picked out by now, but can't settle on anything. No particular color grabs my interest like the competition yellow I have now. However, I've looked at it for 22+ years and would like something different.

So far, the only other look I've thought about is a dark gray and a custom interior. I may get some laughs for this idea, but I've been flying C-130s for 18 years. Nothing fancy on the exterior, just a subtle nod to the aircraft with a similar shade of gray with brushed aluminum wheels w/black centers. I have access to some cockpit parts that I may incorporate into the interior. (throttle levers for shifter, engine instruments, etc.). I just don't want to over do it to the point that it becomes a cheezy "theme" car.

Going to the NHRA street rod nationals this weekend in Lousiville to get some ideas.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 17, 08:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Chris,
You mentioned incorporating cockpit parts/instrumentation into your car. Check out the link below and the pictures of how Mike DuSold did the same in his '67. Over the top, but food for thought...

1967 Twin-Turbo Camaro is Nothing You?ve Seen Before

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 17, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
Chris,
You mentioned incorporating cockpit parts/instrumentation into your car. Check out the link below and the pictures of how Mike DuSold did the same in his '67. Over the top, but food for thought...

1967 Twin-Turbo Camaro is Nothing You?ve Seen Before
Wow! That's over the top, around the world, and over the top again. I think mine will have to be a little more subtle.

Special thanks to Tobin at Kore3.com. He was an incredible wealth of information for not only helping to select the right brake kit, but answering every question brake and suspension related.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode