1968 aluminum headed 427 car. What is it??? - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 16, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jimmy

1968 aluminum headed 427 car. What is it???

So from some family friends we are going to be picking up this car, it is in very rough shape and is in fact missing the engine and transmission, however doing some Vin research I found a thread here on the Camaro forum from 2001 Saying they bought it from the original owner (a family friend to them) who bought the car new in 1969 off the show room floor in arizona with the 427 in it for $4400. https://www.camaros.net/forums/15-tag...lp.html#/enter
1968 SS Camaro?? COPO?? Interesting Mystery!! | Technical & Restoration | The Supercar Registry Bulletin Board

So as it seems 15 years ago the car still had the engine and transmission in it, no idea where it went since then. But I'd like some light shed on what this car could possibly be as apparently the previous owner talked to Dick Guld strand back in 01 and he stated that Dana only used mondellos port servicing for there cars and the mondello port serv was stamped on the inside of the head on the car. However it does not have the Dana hood and Idk what other characteristics it would have to make it a dana car. Anyways, anybody that can shed light on this would be greatly appreciated, I have horrible pictures of the car at the moment due to the fact it's covered in black berry bushes.

Last edited by Thelargechic; Nov 13th, 16 at 01:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 16, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: 1968 aluminum headed 427 car. What is it???

Aluminum headed 427 makes it an L-88. Rated at 425 horsepower with a 850 cfm Holley single four barrel, 435 horse with the three two barrel Holley carbs. 1968 was the only year that they had a mid rise 3x2 manifold as it was changed to a low rise from 1969 and up.

Without documentation all you have is a used car. I would pay only what it would be worth as a six cylinder PowerGlide roller; which is to say based upon the condition of the sheet metal and how complete it is. I wouldn't pay a nickel extra for SS with Z-28 stripes and SS badges. RS is a plus so long as every thing is there and works.

You can make any Camaro body into a Dana tribute car. Don't pay extra for a history that could be as much urban legend as it is wishful thinking.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 16, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jimmy

Having trouble uploading pictures, it has RS trim custom bench seat with strato head rests, AC, clutch assembly. And the people I'm getting it from know nothing about the car, this was from me simply looking up the Vin.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 16, 04:52 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage
Re: 1968 aluminum headed 427 car. What is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelargechic View Post
Having trouble uploading pictures, it has RS trim custom bench seat with strato head rests, AC, clutch assembly. And the people I'm getting it from know nothing about the car, this was from me simply looking up the Vin.
Jimmy, most of those car converted to 427 were L78 cars to begin with and would not have A/C. Bench seat is very rare! From the picture it looks very rough so hope your family knows what they might be getting into $$$$ wise.
No paperwork equals a huge money pit to do anything with the car so do you homework and good luck. Keep in mind sometimes its better to say you know nothing about what your selling, i.e. the "people know nothing about the car."

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode