• 1 Post By ROBS6T8
  • 1 Post By slab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 16, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Aly

First Project- 1968

Hello,
I am just starting my first car restoration. I'm 18 and have pretty limited experience working on cars considering I have had not had a car to work on. Got a new corolla when i was 16, which has been nice but now I'm ready for something I can learn on and eventually have some fun driving. My dad had a 1968 for about 10 years which he restored, he ended up having to sell it in 2012. I loved that car so since then I've really wanted one of my own. Here was his:

I'm hoping to modernize the car a bit with a racing interior and matte red or black paint job so not going for original here. VIN says it was a 327 v8 4 speed muncie transmission, originally cordovan red with black racing stripes. The guy I bought it from replaced the floor and any rust and damaged panels, however the panel gapping on some spots needs some help. Just got the car home last week:

I am having friends and family help me who have restoration experience, however I will probably have lots of questions for you guys as I go and would appreciate any help I can get!
bsharp2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 16, 04:04 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Re: First Project- 1968

Welcome to the site. You have come to the right place !!!!

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 16, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Welcome Project and Good luck with your project.
Dad taught you well - Correct year!

Don't be afraid to ask
VitaminC likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 16, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Welcome aboard and it looks like a great project. I've got one just like it sitting in the garage And as mentioned, Correct year!
bsharp2 likes this.

'68 RS
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 16, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Great and above all, Welcome Aboard!
Lot of people here will be most helpful so keep it going. If you have a chance check out our 68 restoration as it has a lot of info that might assist somewhere.
Again, welcome!
bsharp2 likes this.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Aly

Okay so I finally have time to start working on this car! And now it looks like I will be doing most of this on my own, as my close friend who was going to help me can no longer help. Which means I will be asking 10x as many questions
Took out the few remains of the headliner last night and now am focusing on removing rust underneath the roof. I decided to inspect the floor pan a little closer today, I thought it was solid before but now I'm not sure what to do. My friend is convinced it needs to be entirely replaced, but I'm a little doubtful. It seems solid, no holes or weak spots that I can tell, but it has a good coat of rust on the bottom. And there are two patch panel spots that were just bolted in rather than welded.
I guess it is unclear to me what constitutes needing replacement, when I read build threads the objective is generally to get rid of all rust, but I cant tell if that is a necessity or more of a preference. Is it okay to leave panels that have rust? Or would it be dangerous to keep the rusted floor pan? When you are restoring a car, do you have to remove every remnant of rust that you can, or is it okay to leave rust in spots that wont be seen as long as it does not threaten structural integrity?
I'll try to add pictures when I get home in a little bit
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 07:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Rust will continue to progress unless removed.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 17, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Alex

You should remove all the rust by all means necessary then decide if the pieces are worth repairing or replacing. You can kinda tell by tapping on the metal (like the floor) and get a feel for if it sounds rotted or solid enough to repair and live with.

But yeah, even slight surface rust must be totally cleaned down to bare metal or the rust will only progress as mentioned. That's why they call it cancer :/ Once you have a section good to go, don't delay a second on cleaning the bare metal with denatured alcohol and getting some form of primer on it to protect it as you move to another section.

Whatever you do, don't be like these guys that just slap POR-15 on it and call it a day. You should for sure totally remove any and all rust no matter how minor before putting anything over the metal. It sucks, but is mandatory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
w/BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black w/black interior.
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Welcome to the site.
Ask away. There are many on here who have helped me with my 68. Couldn't have done it without this site!! A lot of pics will help others helping you.
You're going to enjoy all the pain and hassles when it's done.
bsharp2 likes this.

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 12:13 PM
Rich

Garage

I'm pretty new here as well, but I would like to suggest before you go to far with the restoration/modernization of your 68, that you come up with a real good budget and game plan. I see that you are young and budget could play a huge factor in your Rust questions answer. It is easy for someone with a huge budget to suggest replacing everything that is rusted(like your friend with the "whole floor" idea but is that reasonable with your budget(what ever it ends up being). You are young and restoring the car twice (while some would say a ridiculous idea) might not be such a bad idea in the long run. It's more fun driving when your young. You are on the right track with the structural ideas though. Make it safe.
bsharp2 likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 12:23 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Definitely add some pics when you can.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode