Project "Its about time" - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Project "Its about time"

I have been lurking on this site for years, Spent a lot of time over on the chevelle site- time to switch gears and look at the other "project" since my chevelle is now drivable and enjoyable -not done but usable..

My dad and I bought a plain jane, No option 67 Camaro in 1986 and started turning it into a Tubbed ¼ mile car. Life happened and the car was back burnered in 1988. It sat outside in the weather since then. We had built a 2x3 frame, boxed and welded to the inside of the original subframe, partially installed a 12pt Cage, 33” ladder link ladder bars and coilovers. We did not support the body properly when removing the floor so over the past 30 years, things moved!
I decided its been Long enough and started working on it a few months ago. As I have gotten older, My working speed has slowed down. I spend a lot of time Looking and planning, Then a few minutes of work, More looking and planning, etc..
I spent the first couple weeks, squaring the body to the frame and building now body mounts, Then removed everything that unbolted. Next step was installing a more street friendly triangulated 4 link and mothballing the ladder bars. This was time consuming as my frame rails are only 26” inside so it’s a tight fit. No room for exhaust over the axle, I have some ideas on that for down the road.
It was then moved into my Tiny Garage for winter work, I have to sweep up piles of rust every day. I cleaned and patched a couple spots in the inner rocker and butt welded in some toe kick patches on the firewall (30 years in the rain takes its toll!). I am trying to decide between patching the cowl (holes cut for roll cage) or replacing it. It has some rust inside that I don’t thing I can access to remove it. The lower//outer cowls will be replaced regardless as well as the entire Dash (more roll cage holes).
I am going to buy a 1 piece stock floor and clearance it to fit around the frame we built, Then attempt to install it through the Windshield hole, This should be an interesting process. I can always section it if needed.
Based on the past, these steps should take no more than 15years. wish me luck!

Heres a pict of the rust bucket in my “minuture garage”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Re: Project "Its about time"

2 valuable lessons learned today

1) tacking in a patch in the toe kick area. I kept burning holes rather than TACS, My welder was turned down extremely low- same setting I always use for sheet metal. After a few minutes I realized I had turned the feed speed way down for welding some thicker material, Turned the speed back up - Presto beautiful tacks instead of holes

2) lesson 2 - remember to dress both sides of a hole after drilling, If you forget- you will get blood all over the pretty new panel your working on

I can add 2 more check marks to my "experience tracker" now.

Forgot one- Remember to check the settings on your auto darkening welding helmet if one of your kids ( 5 yr old) has been "using" it. If you forget you may have to wait several minutes for the lovely blue dots to fade from your vision. Luckily it was only one little tac, Have had flash burn before -Not Fun!!

Last edited by ktrim; Dec 7th, 16 at 04:01 PM.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 05:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Ken, looking and planning can sometimes be unsatisfactory without beer. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Wine is a worthy substitute.
rtchaney likes this.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 16, 07:52 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

I have a 67 SS 4 speed car which had the floors cut out for narrowed frame and a cage installed. I'm going to be turning it back into a closer to stock setup including replacing the full floor. Interested to see how yours goes. Good Luck, will be checking in!

Follow my build project here...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 16, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharp2 View Post
I have a 67 SS 4 speed car which had the floors cut out for narrowed frame and a cage installed. I'm going to be turning it back into a closer to stock setup including replacing the full floor. Interested to see how yours goes. Good Luck, will be checking in!

Ill be converting this to a 4sp as well. There are a lot of simple tasks that take a lot of thought due to the changes made in the past. Honestly If not for the sentimental value, I would have sold it and bought a more suitable one to rebuild. Dad lives down the street and comes over to give me a hand every few days. We spend a lot of time trying to figure out what we where thinking when we did some of the things we did. Come to the conclusion that 30 yrs ago, we had know idea what we were doing.
bsharp2 likes this.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 16, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Ive been slowly making progress with clean-up, rust removal (floor sweeping) and plan development. I knew that the car had some damage on the drives quarter panel that had been repaired sometime in the early 80's. just didn't know the extent, It looks like a tree or something really heavy fell on the quarter where the sail panel, trunk, and filler panel meet. The filler was 3/4" thick, the trunk opening is not symmetrical. Ill address all of that once I get to the panel replacement part of this crazy project.

As I mentioned before, Things have moved due to sitting for 30 years, and some of the structure we cut out (didn't really know what we were doing way back then). I could use some help with some odd measurements. All of the stock holes and alignment points are long gone, So I have to figure it out as I go. I need a distance between the DS and PS quarter pane at the rear bottom corner of the wheel opening. The tail panel has drooped causing these to spread apart. If I rebuild the support at the tail panel to correct the droop I should be able to get the quarters back in the ball park and can fine tune when I start replacing the exterior metal.

Thanks!
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 16, 07:19 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Have you checked out this thread? I'm planning to make a jig to get my 67 lined up all the floors and rear frame rails are literally gone, rockers are good though. https://www.camaros.net/forums/12-bod...ials-list.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 16, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Have you checked out this thread? I'm planning to make a jig to get my 67 lined up all the floors and rear frame rails are literally gone, rockers are good though. https://www.camaros.net/forums/12-bod...ials-list.html
Unfortunately due to the modifications we made years ago, the sub frame cant be removed. the only stock reference points I have left are the door hinge mounts, fender mount holes, and rear bumper mounts. I want to keep the frame rails, roll cage, and narrowed 9" (sentimental value). I am trying to complete the car with the Vision dad and I had 30 years ago, While trying to fix issues we caused due to lack of knowledge and foresight 30 years ago. Its going to be an interesting, frustrating venture. Dad comes down every few days and checks on the progress (he lives down the street) we discuss plans and possibilities for which ever small project I'm attempting to tackle. I'm sure I will be asking for odd measurements and some strange questions as we progress, all in an attempt to figure out how to fix our screw-ups

Dads not getting any younger, I want to make sure He and I have a chance to go for a ride or two before it is no longer a possibility.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 16, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

My 67 shell is still pretty straight and lined up with the rockers being solid and quarters too and it's totally stripped so if I can help with any measurements or photos let me know.
ktrim likes this.

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 16, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
My 67 shell is still pretty straight and lined up with the rockers being solid and quarters too and it's totally stripped so if I can help with any measurements or photos let me know.
I could use a measurement between the rear corner of the quarter windows opening. Due to the damage and our hack job, I think my DS quarter is leaning out. I could also use a measurement between the lower rear corners of the rear wheel opening in the quarters.

Thank you for your willingness to help!!
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 16, 07:28 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Ken, are you dead set on keeping the roll bar ?? Honestly if it were me I would cut that roll bar out and remove the front subframe and send it out for sandblasting. I'm not sure what your overall plans are for the car, but I don't think your building a track car anymore. Anyway, I'm sure you have 100's of decisions too make. Good luck on the project.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 16, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrim View Post
I could use a measurement between the rear corner of the quarter windows opening. Due to the damage and our hack job, I think my DS quarter is leaning out. I could also use a measurement between the lower rear corners of the rear wheel opening in the quarters.

Thank you for your willingness to help!!

Is it possible you can take a photo and mark up where you need the measurements? Would make it easier for me to make certain I'm giving you the right ones.
DT likes this.

post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 16, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Is it possible you can take a photo and mark up where you need the measurements? Would make it easier for me to make certain I'm giving you the right ones.
Ill get some pictures tomorrow, its toooooo cold tonight
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 16, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Ill get some pictures tomorrow, its toooooo cold tonight

No doubt, it's about 13 degrees here.

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 16, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Unfortunately due to the modifications we made years ago, the sub frame cant be removed. the only stock reference points I have left are the door hinge mounts, fender mount holes, and rear bumper mounts. I want to keep the frame rails, roll cage, and narrowed 9" (sentimental value). I am trying to complete the car with the Vision dad and I had 30 years ago,

The subframe can be removed. All you need are the subframe/unibody dimensions to construct and repair the car. Using these will enable you to do any work required to refurbish the shell. If you worked in collision you would need them to yank the car. I don't have the images in Pbucket, but they have been posted on this site countless times. I always have 1-3 first gens in my shop, some with excellent original nearly rot free bodies, including my own with original panels. If you need some dimensions let me know.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode