Build Projects follow along start to finish

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 16, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

Ray's 69 Camaro

Hello everyone.

I wanted to start a build thread. Mainly for advise and to start my progress on my car. I have owned the car for about a yr now. Reason why I am calling to project I paid to much is well because I did. I should of walked away but I did not. Car has a 6.0L LQ9 with a 4l60e. Crappy wiring and stock suspension. I have owned 4 Camaro's before. 3 3rd gen and one 4th gen. I always wanted a 69 since I was young. I am now 29. I have no welding experience but I am eager to learn. Just wish it wasn't this way. I pretty much stumbled into this tear town today. I went to pull out my back seats to find out my car smelled like mice. Well one thing lead to another and here I am. Entire interior out and discovered my worst fears. Not surprised though. Having flash backs from when I was debating to throw the car on the trailer or drive away. (13hr drive one way). I am honestly looking for advice, good or bad. I know I want to keep it drivable. I have read that many times from others, but the wiring and so much more needs to be addressed.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Trans tunnel
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by camarodude87; Dec 23rd, 16 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 16, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

re: Ray's 69 Camaro

Passenger side floor. Looks decent.

[IMG][/IMG]

My custom trans tunnel.

[IMG][/IMG]

Driver side floor pan (forward of seat)

[IMG][/IMG]
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 16, 03:03 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Ray, that's not too bad really. They sell tunnel patches. This one happens to be from Camaro Specialties in east Aurora NY.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	168778  

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 16, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Ray, that's not too bad really. They sell tunnel patches. This one happens to be from Camaro Specialties in east Aurora NY.
Im just worried now what might behind all that flat black paint. I have a dime size hole behind door on the rocker and both side of my outers have rust on the lip.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 16, 03:40 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodude87 View Post
Im just worried now what might behind all that flat black paint. I have a dime size hole behind door on the rocker and both side of my outers have rust on the lip.
I'm afraid that is another story. Take a refrigerator magnet and go over the entire car to see if it sticks. If it does not stick, that could be a problem area. I just went for a new floor, inner rockers and toe boards on my convertible.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 16, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

[IMG][/IMG]

Would you guys do half panels or just do patches in the problem areas?
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 03:52 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Ray I feel ya buddy, I did the EXACT same thing with mine ... drove 13 hours to Chicago and should have walked away but I didn't.
So far based on the pics the car doesn't look that bad, some guys here have found 2" of filler in their doors, so don't panic yet.

What I'd do with that car based off a limited budget and keep it a driver
#1. Replace the entire wiring harness with a AAW 69' Camaro Kit
#2. Go with a front/rear Hotchkis suspension kit with the 2/3" drop
#3. Decent set of disk brakes
#4. new carpet and a set of aftermarket seats

All this equates to a great fun/safe driver
If you need ANY advice we are all here to help you out, doesn't matter what it is

Cheers
Steve

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 04:59 AM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Hi Ray, what I'd do is work to establish what you have both mechanically and body wise first, and then a laundry list of what needs to be fixed in what order and possible cost.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 06:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Ray,
Looks pretty good to me, I like the all black look too. You could drive it for awhile and work on it a bit at a time. Floors look a bit crusty, but no gaping holes. If they are still relatively sound you could clean them up, neutralize the rust and use POR-15. I'd say you did good! My car had some similar junk patch panels held on with sheetmetal screws. It's fun to get some sheet metal panels and form them to fit and weld them in, you'll enjoy the work. Once the welds are ground off and its painted, looks brand new. Get yourself a welder and you can learn pretty quickly by watching some internet videos and practicing. The new Miller 215 has MIG,stick AND TIG. I've got a 211, but it doesn't have the TIG capability and I wish it did. Just don't buy a cheap flux core welder, you won't be happy with the results. Looks like a great starting point.
bweeden1 likes this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

Thanks everyone for the replies. I Might just patch up the areas and use POR 15 on the problem areas. I always think things are more worse then they are. Should I just do half pans? then do my tunnel whenever that day comes for a t56?
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 08:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Can't be that bad if you have an LS motor in it, outside looks decent . Can't say much for floors, I have never had to do this on my car.
I see there are Texas plates on the car. Is that where you are or the car came from?
Any Idea what the car was before ? Cowl tag? Rear end or suspension?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

POR 15 targets the novice and those uneducated about the restoration business. It has no place in a professional restoration shop or hobbyist's garage. Rust must be removed by media blasting, or phosphoric acid treatment and a thorough neutralizing wash. Both methods followed by epoxy primer. If for some reason neither is possible, use a treatment like One-Step or Permatex Rust Treatment as a last resort; numerous companies make similar products. I would not use POR on a restoration if it was free.

Installing a full floor pan is easier than doing half floors. Sounds like your car needs a complete inspection to determine the best course of action. The pictures do not show if the front floors will be like a screen door after rust removal. You can build a mechanically sound driver with a half way decent, solid body if that is your goal. That is what we did when we were 16. You do not have to do a rotisserie restoration on every car.

20 years ago I drove 13 hours to buy a car. The seller thought because I drove all that way I would not go home with an empty trailer. He was wrong.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

Everything from the door forward was replaced. The quarters skins were replaced but not the outer wheel wells. Yes I drove to San Antonio to get the car. For the outers I will probably have a local do it. It is a decent car. Wiring could be replaced. I do want a t56. It has a 10 bolt rear. The car was a inline 6 car. frost green. Nothing special. Base camaro. I added brake booster and it has disk/drum. Interior I would say is average. I added 4th gen seats but I think im going to go a different route once I figure out the floor. I seen people who do 1 piece floors have to totally disassembly the car to do so. Not sure if I want to take it out of commission right now.
bweeden1 likes this.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 10:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Again, Sounds like you got much to do. With that motor and trans, needing outer wheel wells, this sounds like a tub job. Need a stronger rear end for sure. Moser musclepack narrowed could do the job .

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

So for now, to keep it on the road for a little while I will go with Full length floor pans on both sides. I also want to get a trans tunnel. I know I will probably have to modify it to make room for the t56. I will see how bad the toe board is messed up on the driver side and post pics for better advice vs me just buying sheet metal I don't need. Thank you all . Have a Merry Christmas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode