Jim's 69 Camaro Revival - Page 3 - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 19, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Re: Jim's 69 Camaro Revival

Tubs work continued and at that point I had to fix a part of the outer rocker. It was pretty rotten and got cut off during the demolition. I looked at buying a stamped piece and cutting what I needed but the price was extreme for what I needed so I just built my own based on the measurements from the other side. Came out nice. Don't mind the crappy welds. I had to grind and go over them again to make them right.....which they are now.

Wheel tub work continued after that and was completed with one hitch. When I used the DSE templates to mark the locations for the cuts, I didn't have the original tubs in place. So my cuts were excessive and left some large holes as seen here.
Not a real big deal. Grab some metal and make some patches.
It may be hard to tell but I built some wood press blocks and tried to match the stamping valleys in the trunk. Will probably never be noticed by anyone else but I'm glad I went through the exercise.

Pass. gaps getting fit and how I went about it.

1969 Camaro
Deconstruction on the way

1997 Camaro Z/28

427 Small Block
10.67 at 126MPH

Last edited by BassproCamaro97; Feb 2nd, 19 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 19, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Somewhere in between the tubs getting finished I decided the package tray was to crappy to patch together and lets be honest I'm replacing everything anyways why stop now.....

Also around this time I purchased some of the drive line components. I picked up an LQ9 out of a wrecked Escalade. This will make a perfect starting point for a nice forced induction motor.

Getting this thing out of the back of a Tahoe without a fork lift was interesting....
Triman8654 likes this.

1969 Camaro

1997 Camaro Z/28

427 Small Block
10.67 at 126MPH
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 19, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

From there I had minor coronary as I started fitting quarter panels. The tail panel looked like it was crooked by over half an inch!!!! Did my columns fail me? Well lets find out. I marked all the points I could think of on the car and started taking baseline measurements

After fitting measuring and checking everything with a 6 foot level. I determined that no....no the columns did not fail me. Everything was pretty tight. Initial mock up showed about an 8th of an inch of difference between the two quarters and this was in my opinion a crude measurement so I was happy.

Quarters going on initial mock up

and that is about all the updates I have.

Other points of interest are I ordered up the DSE quadralink on the black Friday sale and still have not received it. Supposedly the shocks are on back order and are holding up the shipment. Hopefully they get sent out before the end of the month because at this point I'm shut down on the car. I can't move forward on the rear half of the car with out this being completed. Since the floors need to be cut to fit the mounting points I'm not going to start patching up any of the small areas that need attending to until everything is ready. Mothballs it is

I picked up a used Tremec-T56 out of a 2002 Trans-am. That and the LQ9 are hibernating under my work bench awaiting the time when I can start focusing on mechanicals and not body work.

Hopefully I'll have more updates soon. Otherwise thanks for following along and any/all feedback is much appreciated. If you see any errors or dumb things please let me know. Also, I have a lot of pictures so if there are particular points of intrest please ask and I'll try to highlight them better.

Thanks,

~Jim~
Triman8654 likes this.

1969 Camaro

1997 Camaro Z/28

427 Small Block
10.67 at 126MPH

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old May 19th, 19, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Update Time: DSE shipped out the suspension sometime in late Feb 2019. I of course had started another small project in the interim while I was waiting but by the time March rolled around I was back onto the '69.

I started off on the spring pockets. Pretty straight forward except my floor pan in the rear had a slight bow up toward the roof which made leveling these guys out a real pain. Lots of hammer work. Eventually came out pretty good.

Next step was to get the shock cross brace in. DSE suggest you do this with one wheel tub out. I did it with both tubs in and I ended up regretting it. I highly suggest you take their advice. Makes the welding process much easier.

After a lot of measuring and some cutting I got to this point. If most of you car is original you should have an easier time measuring for this cut. The repop trunk left this a tricky.

Here's an idea of how many tiny adjustments I made to get this brace in. I was cutting an 1/8th or less off each time to get a snug fit.....and I still didn't get it. Follow their directions!

1969 Camaro

1997 Camaro Z/28

427 Small Block
10.67 at 126MPH

Last edited by BassproCamaro97; May 19th, 19 at 09:38 AM.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old May 19th, 19, 09:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Wow! I'm jealous... you are very brave and have some mad skills.

Good luck.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old May 19th, 19, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

After all the suspension mounting was mostly complete I decided it was time to unload the body Jig to a new home. A successful craigslist deal later and it was time to pull it out. My idea was to use 4x4's to raise the body high enough to slide it out sideways

I had to notch the beams for the pinch weld on the floor but otherwise, this went way better than I thought it would. Few days later the jig was headed to Wisconsin to be put to work once again.

At this point I'm working on figuring out what wheels and tires I want to put on the car. After that the next step is ordering up the front sub frame from Heidts ( End of June). I'm getting to the stage where money is more important than labor...bummer.

Hopefully by the next update the quarters, roof and all applicable bracing will be final welded in.

Thanks for stopping by.

~Jim~
Triman8654 likes this.

1969 Camaro

1997 Camaro Z/28

427 Small Block
10.67 at 126MPH
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old May 19th, 19, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
Wow! I'm jealous... you are very brave and have some mad skills.

Good luck.

Thanks Thor! Would you believe me if I said this was my 1st major resto project? Once I bought my Miller 211 things became so much easier. If you're determined you can do it and probably much better than you think!

~Jim~
really_n0b0dy likes this.

1969 Camaro

1997 Camaro Z/28

427 Small Block
10.67 at 126MPH
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Anyone out there have any advice for getting the trunk pan to tail panel right. So far I've cut off the bumper brackets and bent the trunk lip back but I'm noticing the bumper holes in the tail panel are much lower than the trunk pan.

The quarters and tail panel line up real nice with the rest of the car but it looks like the center bracket on the trunk is to high. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

~Jim~

1969 Camaro

1997 Camaro Z/28

427 Small Block
10.67 at 126MPH
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 03:32 AM
Team Member
Dale

Post up some pictures of the problem area.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

The best pick is the one with the screw driver. You can really see how far down they drop. The quarters can probably be adjusted up a hair but not that much. They'd never fit the back window structure.

I put the stock bumper on to check all the mount points and the center three holes on the trunk pan are not close. The bumper brackets I could probably make work with some work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

~Jim~

1969 Camaro

1997 Camaro Z/28

427 Small Block
10.67 at 126MPH
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 07:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

You might have removed the Jig a little early. When I fit mine up everything was still on the jig, and it took some cross measurements on everything in relation to the jig as the fixed point to get everything to play well together. I don't remember exactly where in my build thread but it's in the first 20 pages. I think Patrick in his build thread actually had to use ratchet straps to pull his down on the frame rails before welding everything in. How did your pan fit the rails in the back? With your '69 I would be concerned about the location of the fuel tank filler. You might have a problem of it not being in the correct location and the fuel tank not fitting.

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 350sshugger; Jun 12th, 19 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typo
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 09:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Hello Mr. Jim,

Your quarter panels look good from what I can see in the photos. They are fitting the rocker panels tightly. It looks like the door frame is fitting correctly next to the quarter panel.

I would install the trunk drop offs with just screws to the trunk pan. I would also install the tail panel inner valance to the trunk pan with screws. If the trunk pan and rockers are in the correct position, the bottom of the inner valance should line up with the bottom of the tail panel. The bottom of the drop offs should line up with the bottom of the quarter panels.

I wish you still had the body on the jig. From the top outside corner of the trunk pan bumper bracket (the bracket with the oval holes) to the center line of the jig's horizonal rear tube is supposed to be 35 inches. This diagonal measurement is the same for both brackets to the center line.

How are you supporting the body with it off of the jig? Maybe you are supporting the body at the rear frame part of the frame rails. If so, the weight of the body could be pushing the rear of the frame rails up causing the tail panel misalignment. This is a unibody car. With the quarter panels and other sheetmetal still loose or missing, the body is weak and could flex.

Patrick

Last edited by tp_smith; Jun 12th, 19 at 09:17 AM.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Matt: I ratcheted the frame rails down to the jig when I installed them and then sunk the trunk pan making sure everything was in contact with each other. The fuel tank filler is now my concern based on the location of that lisc support bracket on the trunk pan. The trunk pan needed a lot of sheet metal screws to lay down. There were some really bad gaps where it makes the sweep downward from the axle. I got everything tight before I burned it in though. I'll go through your thread and see if I can find any where were I screwed up.

Patrick:

The door frame and now loose skins line up great with the quarter. The style lines look better than I though they would for not having any fine adj on the doors.
I had all of those screwed together already and they line up within tolerance in my opinion. The drop off flanges match the quarter flanges and the valence and tail come together pretty nicely as well.

I know. I am wishing I hadn't pulled the jig right now but at the time everything looked good.

Excellent idea!! I have it supported with jack stands and wood block where the jig was. There are 2 jack stands on the rear of the car on the frame rails. This very well could be causing me an issue with pushing the back trunk up. I'm going to try pulling those out and keep the support on the front shell.

Thank you both for the advice it is much appreciated.

~Jim~

1969 Camaro

1997 Camaro Z/28

427 Small Block
10.67 at 126MPH
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Little update. Thank to my new internet hero Patrick I believe I found the issue with my trunk pan. After pulling the rear jack stands I noticed my trunk pan was very rigid. Enough so that I was not worried that it deflected at all when pulled from the jig.

After going through Patrick's thread I found a measurement that pretty much told me exactly what my issue was. The deck filler panel to the trunk floor is consistently of 1/4". After some tweaking and pulling I brought the tail panel up tighter to the quarters and determined that the trunk pan was probably installed a shade high. I'm going to chalk this up to user error and blown measurements between day 0 and today.

At this point my options are pull off the floor and rails, see if I can anchor the shell and pull the trunk down or contort the rear of the pan "close enough" and call it a day. This will most likely require a relief cut in the center of the trunk since I could see it want to bow as I was tweaking the lip. As Matt pointed out this could ultimately impact the gas tank and filler but since I'm more than likely going to a custom gas tank I don't think it will be a major hurdle to get over.

Once again Thanks Matt and Patrick for the awesome feedback and if anything I just typed sounds stupid please let me know.

Thanks,

~Jim~

1969 Camaro

1997 Camaro Z/28

427 Small Block
10.67 at 126MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode