Build Projects follow along start to finish

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
68 RS "refurbishing' project

I thought I'd finally start a build thread for my car since I'm finally getting started on it and I'd like to document the process.

It's a 68 327/210hp Rallye Green RS with a white vinyl top and standard black interior. I don't do body work or paint so I was happy to find this one because those items are good enough for my standards. The weakest point from the appearance standpoint is the engine bay. Some work has been done but it really needs to be cleaned up and things repaired to meet my goals.

As far as my goals, I want the car to be as close to an original 68 as I can get. It didn't come with the options I would have liked (gauges, power disc brakes, etc.) so for my purposes I want to add 68 options as accurately as I can to end up with the 68 I want. Since "numbers matching" matter to me I don't want to stray from the cowl tag. I really want a black vinyl top and deluxe houndstooth interior but I'd rather have the car match the cowl tag so that will have to wait for another project car.

As far as the engine is concerned, I'm not interested in power or handling so the original 327/210hp PG drivetrain is fine with me since the car will mostly be a garage queen. I'll get a stock rebuild done on the engine and focus on refurbishing the engine bay, brakes, suspension, etc.

zdld17 and Triman8654 like this.

'68 RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Re: 68 RS "refurbishing' project

Sweet car. Your goals seem similar to what I've tried to do, I'm gonna follow your thread.

Follow my build project here...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 06:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Jim, car still looks good and presentable. From the photos , you have front disc, don't loose them.
Long ago, We had aftermarket people present to us a vinyl top color paint process. Just thinking if the process was still around and reliable that you could change the white top to black as you are thinking , garage queen?

As for wheels, I think it needs rally wheels and you probably already have a set of , would't worry about date coding them.

Adding some hockey stripes should be no problem also, if that's part of the long term plan.

Changing the seats can't be a hard job, you can do it in your garage with a set of hog ring pliers and new seat buns.

Engine compartment is no biggie, as you are not asking for gleaming bling. I always like stock the best.

But if locating another project is your goal, go for it. Life is sometimes too short to be picky.

Enjoy.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
But if locating another project is your goal, go for it. Life is sometimes too short to be picky.

Enjoy.
Hi Don: The problem is that while another car is goal, finding it has not turned out to be easy. I've been looking for a very particular 68 RS and have never come across it. It was probably out there somewhere but I didn't see it for sale. Making a clone of what I want was my goal for the previous project car I sold last year but after getting this one I've realized that I want one with a matching cowl tag. I still hope I'll find it but in the mean time I've got this one to play with
bsharp2 likes this.

'68 RS
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 06:46 PM
John

Garage

Jim,

I don't think the deluxe interior and maybe adding a set of gauges would be sacrilegious to the TT. Even doing the black top would be OK. Know that the car would look so much better and if it ever came to it could easily be changed back to match the TT.
VitaminC likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 06:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I understand . I was trying to put your interior together with the houndstooth cloth seats, which I think is part of a deluxe package and your present door panels, telling me standard or deluxe?. The pleated seats look like my woven deluxe and my door panels are not but the lines match up so its done.

But never less, the search goes on. Your search for a bright green car may be like searching for my frost green. Just not everyone's cup of tea , so to say, and a Z car at that. But I do see more of your color than mine.

Main point is, make your car the way you want it and I think wife will agree. Part hers anyway.
VitaminC likes this.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 05:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

If you are interested, I have a set of original factory console gauges and speedo with MPH limiter and a tictock tach 5k redline. Was gonna put it up for sale, just haven't gotten around to it just yet.
VitaminC likes this.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
If you are interested, I have a set of original factory console gauges and speedo with MPH limiter and a tictock tach 5k redline. Was gonna put it up for sale, just haven't gotten around to it just yet.
Wow, I would have but I bought everything from Classic about 2 months ago

'68 RS
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 09:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Jim,

I don't think the deluxe interior and maybe adding a set of gauges would be sacrilegious to the TT. Even doing the black top would be OK. Know that the car would look so much better and if it ever came to it could easily be changed back to match the TT.
Jim, Remember these S&W gauges? A simple two or three panel set might look good on bottom of dash , if you are still considering.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...nalog%20Gauges
VitaminC likes this.

Don
TC # 349

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Jim, Remember these S&W gauges? A simple two or three panel set might look good on bottom of dash , if you are still considering.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...nalog%20Gauges
I had gauges like that on my 1st Camaro but I'm going for the stock look this time. Even though I'm not sure I'm going to be able to see them with my old eyes!

'68 RS
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 11:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminC View Post
Wow, I would have but I bought everything from Classic about 2 months ago
No worries - just tryin' to help a fellow member out
VitaminC likes this.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

I'm still in the middle of the interior refurbishment. I wasn't expected as much work as I've run into to add the oil gauge line for console gauges. After drilling the hole through the dimple in the engine bay, I couldn't find it in the interior. At least I only had to remove the ignition coil to be able to drill the hole. After much research, hunting, and having my wife push a coat hanger through the engine bay, I find that the hole comes out BEHING the defroster ducting. My first mistake was expecting it to be easier than it turned out. Just to be able to get to the things I need I've removed all most everything in the dash. After removing the 2 bolts holding the ducting in place I still couldn't move it from the outlet of the heater box. As careful as I was, I still cracked the ducting I guess the good news is that I will have to remove the ducting anyway when I add vintage A/C. And while I was removing things I found that one of the control rods on the heater controls is broken. I will have to hunt for a new mechanism now. Needs new chrome piece anyway I had already discovered that the glove box had been cut out to hold an 8 track player. Too bad it wasn't still with the car; that would have been really retro. The radio opening in the dash had totally been hacked to put in a radio so I have to see what I'm going to have to repair to be able to install the Retro Sound Model II I bought.

While I've got it all apart, if anybody needs any pictures from behind the dash, let me know.

'68 RS
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 04:48 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

You can replace that lever in the control frame, there's a kit for it. I did it on mine, it's not difficult at all.
VitaminC likes this.

Follow my build project here...

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharp2 View Post
You can replace that lever in the control frame, there's a kit for it. I did it on mine, it's not difficult at all.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that!

'68 RS
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 06:51 PM
RDW
Senior Tech
Bob

Garage

I just did it as well very easy
VitaminC and bsharp2 like this.

67 Camaro coupe 327 automatic
78 RS Camaro 350 automatic (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode