69 Coupe ground up project - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

69 Coupe ground up project

Just started a full restoration of a 69 coupe I've had since high school. This car was the only thing my wife and I owned when I transferred to San Diego to the USS Tripoli - everything we had fit in the trunk. The car has seen countless trips across the west from San Diego to Colorado and San Diego up to Napa CA. Fond memories of driving through Vegas at night with the heater on just to try to keep it cool enough and not overheat.It took me awhile before I figured out that the various trips took the same amount of time running 65mph or 100+mph. I guess at 100mph+ we got to see more small towns for fuel.

The car was just Dustless blasted and is going into the body shop on the 23rd of this month. Going back to Lemans blue. Car was very solid but a blown tire and a previous accident hidden in body work mean new rear quarters which I've ordered AMD metal for.
Question...For trim, interior ect who does everyone prefer - Ricks, Classic Industries, Year One ect? I've ordered a few things from Ricks but I'm really wanting to order the entire exterior trim including glass as well as the entire interior from a single place since its going to be around $10k for these items. Cost is always a concern but I'd rather support the true enthusiast owned businesses instead of the large corp stores.
As far as drivetrain I'm going with a 406 small block built by Tri-Star out of Wisconsin and a Tremec 5spd from SST. Was initially going to go LS but it seems everybody is going that route and I like to be different. I think a 550hp small block in factory dress with 307 badges and a fully functional cowl hood and plumbing might be sorta cool. The goal is a street-able driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 17, 04:56 AM
Kevin

Re: 69 Coupe ground up project

Welcome Travis! Sounds like a great project! I would do your homework on repro interior parts . There is a large gap in fitment and quality between the makers of each part. You have to know what maker you are getting from each catalog. And there is the issue of a later part run being better than the early ones, but the catalog place only has the early ones. Keep reading and asking questions about specific parts!

I used Legendary Interiors for the standard seat covers and liked them much better than PUI. Rest of my interior is original GM.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 17, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Engine ordered today and should ship next week. I decided to go with a 427 SBC from tri-star engines. Dart SHP block, heads and intake, forged rotating assembly and a Quick Fuel 750 on top. It made 535hp and 590tq on the dyno.
Now I need to figure out the tire/wheel combination I want to run and start working on rear and trans gearing/ratio. Speed limit is 80mph here in WY and I don't want to be too wound up running 75-80 but I don't want to kill the hole shot either.

Tri-Star 428 Small Block

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 17, 08:03 AM
John

Garage

Go with a TKO600 .64 OD and 3.73s. With cruise all day long at 75-80 under 2500 rpm
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 17, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Sounds like a fun project, Travis. Welcome to the site!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 17, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Pounce on the sales! Even if some stuff is out of sequence, it can be a good feeling to score 30% off of inner fenders, glass or a dash pad! Of course, usually the things you want are not included in the sale...

I think many of the parts come out of the same faucet -

68 Camaro Convertible Turbo Thrift 250 Powerglide
63 Pontiac Catalina 389 Roto Hydromatic
84 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 17, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I would be carefull about purchasing too much all at once. I bought many of parts that were defective or non functioning, if you purchase these items too early then it becomes difficult to exchange them. My general rule of thumb is to only purchase what I will be installing or mocking up within a 6 month time period.

1969 Camaro ProTouring build
350 Tuned port, 700R4
Moser 12 bolt
mini-tubbed - resto in progress; painted fall of 2018

1969 Camaro X-55
350 4 speed, black with white hockey stripe
White interior
Completed resto in 2018
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 17, 01:20 PM
Team Member
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosconst View Post
I would be carefull about purchasing too much all at once. I bought many of parts that were defective or non functioning, if you purchase these items too early then it becomes difficult to exchange them. My general rule of thumb is to only purchase what I will be installing or mocking up within a 6 month time period.
Agree with Jim..
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 17, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Good point Jim but I have to write the last check before the first check clears and the wife figures out what I'm doing

Bodyshop in Loveland that was going to do the body & paint work is switching gears and but I think I found a guy in the Brighton area to handle the sheet metal work in the January timeframe. He does work for Camaros Plus in Denver from time to time and says he is real familiar with the first Gens. I'll do the body and paint myself. As much as I wanted to farm the work out to the pros I can do it I just end up spending more time cutting and buffing then most - laying clear kicks my a$$ every time.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 17, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Some pics of the project so far. Going in for rear qtrs and tail panel in mid Jan and then back to me for body work and paint. Car was originally Lemans Blue and going back to that color.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 17, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech
Wiley E. Coyote

540 lbs of torque, 3.73 and OD youre gona LOVE it!
Torque is king on the street

Post pics!!
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 18, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Some pics finally.

Teardown

Problem area

Floor pans look great

Dustless blasting

Rear quarter damage is a tire that let loose at 6500rpm.

Goes in for both rear quarters and tail panel later this month.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 18, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

In etch primer..

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 18, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Old motor and th350

sub frame removed, cleaned and painted and all new moog components put in. Also installed a disk brake conversion from CPP. Think I'm going to put different wheel bearings in from a reputable source.

New motor and TKO600 5 spd in from SST on recommendation from Vega69. Great kit and easy conversion. Bell housing runout with the dart block was .003 so no need for offset pins.

Front sheet metal back on and panels aligned as close as I can get. not perfect but way better then factory gaps. Still going to do some welding to make better.

Triman8654 likes this.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 18, 04:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Man! you are FAST!! Little over a month and you are ready for paint. I've been working on my car for two years. I wish I had your energy (and checkbook-haha). Great work. I ordered my TKO-600 also. What rear gears did you go with?

Brett.......

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode