Pro touring 67 RS - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 18, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

Pro touring 67 RS

When I moved my family to Ohio for work, I wound up with some extra garage space and got the idea that I could fill it up with a project car that I could work on with my son Jake. Jake was 14 at the time we started and it was a good opportunity for him to learn some man-skills. I had worked on cars here and there for small stuff like brakes and general maintenance, but how hard could a total restoration really be, right? I mentioned the idea to my wife and she was on board, though neither of us had a clue of the time commitment. Before I could tell her what car I had in mind, she said “a 60’s Camaro?”, so I was off on a search for one. I looked locally for a few weeks and finally came across this one in Green Springs, OH about an hour and half from my house. The owner is a great guy and said he bought it as a project for him and his son to work on, but it ended up being just him doing all the work and he was ready to let it go. He wanted to sell it as just a roller, but once I heard it fire up with the 396 big block, there wasn’t going to be deal without the engine. He was setting it up to be a pro-street type of car with big power and high gear ratio. Either he or the owner before him had done a bunch of body work to it – new quarters, floor pans, door skins, and he had a front end and trunk lid from a donor car (none of which had ever been fit up – rookie mistake #1 for me). The front clip was separate from the car and stored in a barn, so I guess you could call this a partial “barn-find’. Like I said, the previous owner was fantastic to deal with, provided all the receipts so I could identify the parts really well, and has provided lots of important info long after the sale. He wants to come by and see the car when it’s done and I plan to hold him to it.
Note: I have learned a lot from this forum and it helped me out of a lot of jams, so I feel obligated to post some of my experience in hopes that it helps the next guy along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297 (1).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	209218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312 (1).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	209226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313 (1).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	209234  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 18, 08:45 PM
John

Garage
Re: Pro touring 67 RS

Welcome aboard.

Looks like a great FS project so long as the S does his part. Lol

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 18, 08:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Hi Les. If you were looking for a shade of yellow that reaches out and grabs your eyeballs you got it. Welcome.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 18, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

So we got it home and started mocking it up. The previous owner provided two hoods – one flat one from the donor car and a fiberglass 2” cowl hood that was chopped up for a blower. Once we decided to go with a new 2” cowl hood, these two became garage art. Some tape and a few cans of Rustoleum and…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2397.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	209346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2398.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	209354  

Last edited by Hostile-67; Mar 23rd, 18 at 07:14 AM.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

The big block wasn’t anywhere close to fitting under a 2” cowl hood with the existing intake. It came with a Holley 750 Double Pumper carburetor (square flange) and an Edelbrock Victor Jr 454 intake which has a dominator carburetor flange and those two don’t directly mate up, so it also had an adaptor spacer. It would have needed a 6” cowl to fit all that, so we decided the best option was to replace the intake with an Edelbrock RPM Performer, so the carburetor mates right up and we don’t need the spacer and it all tucks in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0423 (1).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	209362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424 (1).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	209370  
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

I don’t really like puzzles, but this was a huge one at times. Another rookie mistake for us was the fact that we bought a mostly disassembled car and wound up with boxes of parts that we hadn’t taken off and never saw installed. Combine that with never having disassembled a car from this era (or any for that matter) and it was a big challenge just understanding what the parts were. Best tip I got was to get a Classic Industries Camaro parts catalog and just try to match the pictures to the part and I spent many hours doing that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0352 (1).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	209378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0384 (1).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	209386  
bsharp2 and really_n0b0dy like this.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

Jake and I struggled to decide how far down to take the car before building it back up. Originally we planned to leave the engine in place and work the body around it, but finally decided that the subframe needed too much work to let it go forward as it was. Also, the firewall was painted yellow and it was going to be tough covering all that with the engine in place, so we started the disassembly:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0438 (1).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	209394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472 (1).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	209402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474 (1).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	209410  

post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

Cleaning up the front suspension. VHT Roll Bar and Chassis Paint – satin black. Eastwood Internal Frame Coating for the inside of the frame. Make sure you have plenty of room to use it outside because it makes a mess.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0492 (2).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	209418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0493 (1).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	209426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515 (1).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	209434  

post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

The underside of the body was freshly sprayed with undercoating when we got the car and it looked good. The previous owner said he used Flexseal for it. Confused as to why that would be used I repeated “Flexseal?”, and he said “yeah, you know with the commercials with that fat guy”. We still laugh about the “fat guy” commercial every time we see one on TV. Anyway, I was a skeptic and was intent on stripping it off and respraying it, but I was quickly won over by how hard it was to get it off. I could barely get it to come off after hitting it hard with a flapper disc on the grinder. I decided it was good and just touched up some of the missed spots after we removed all hard lines and mounting tabs. I assume Flexseal is a similar product as any of the other rubberized underbody sprays you can buy, but it’s twice the price. I ended up lightly spraying over it with Rustoleum undercoating, just to knock the gleam off because Flexseal is shiney like a gloss black.
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

We changed out the front springs and shocks with QA1 coil overs. It is still difficult to get the spring compressed without the engine in place, so we had to get creative with the weight set. That’s the most use those weights have ever seen!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0533 (1).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	209442  
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

This is how you get through football season with a hot rod project going on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0541 (1).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	209450  
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

The Jeep Grand Cherokee quick ratio steering gearbox swap (same turning radius as stock with higher effort/road feel and 12.7:1 ratio) has been well-documented across many forums and we did that here. Some people swear you have to get one from a junkyard, but I took my chances on one from Advance Auto. Stripped the paint, polished the aluminum cover, and added some chrome bolts to make it look a little nicer. You see a rag joint in the photo, but I changed the steering column and added a u-joint coupler later on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0555 (2).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	209458  
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

There is very little of anything left original on the car and it didn’t start life as any special model, so we didn’t pay much attention to making things look or feel original. We are just going for a clean-looking, custom hot rod.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0556 (1).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	209466  
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

We got the subframe back together and now it’s heading off to the body shop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0567 (1).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	209474  
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 18, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Les

We searched around and visited 8 or 10 shops before deciding on one in Akron. The owner seemed honest and quoted me a price that was similar to what I had been hearing everywhere else, but their finished products looked a lot better. It turned out to be a wild ride.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0571 (2).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	209482  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode