Build Projects follow along start to finish

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 18, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Angry How much is too much? Rebuilding a 67

Hi -

I've posted a few times here about my woes (the usual old car issues) with a 67 Camaro I bought a couple years ago. Long story made short; I spent $23K on an SS clone with a 'built 454'. When I got it home I realized it had some issues and spent the next year diagnosing it (in and out of shops, etc.). In the process I spent about $10K on misc fixes - new front suspension, replacement of cooling fans, etc. and eventually the teardown of the motor as it still wasn't cooling. So I'm into it $33K at that point.

Once we've gone through the motor, we realize that it's not really fixable - block is old and worn out, there's scoring on the cylinders, crank needs to be refinished, etc. I decide rather than trying to rebuild a bunch of worn out parts, it'd be best to just replace the motor with something new/reliable. I ordered a 489BBC. Total price another $8K. Now it's $41K all-in.

Ultimately, I bring it to a shop to install the motor. They come back with a list of things that need to be addressed to make it run (well):
- Motor installation with new motor mounts - $2K
- New fuel cell, electric pump and boost regulator, new lines - $3K
- New distributor - $500
- New High(er) flow fans and controller - $900
- New brake lines and changing pedal ratio - $950
- New wiring kit & re-wire - $3K

At this point I should make it clear that I'm no millionaire. Just a regular Joe. And every time I look at the car (scratch that - every time I think about the car), the bill gets longer. I know that's the way it is with these things - so it's mostly me moaning - but at this point we're talking about another $11K to get it running on top of the new motor I just bought.

A total of $52K.

Is it 'too much'? Should I just park the shell in the garage and call it a day? Or should I have it done, sell it, and cut my potential future losses?

Thanks for the feedback (and letting me vent!)

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 18, 04:54 PM
Team Member
Don

Re: How much is too much? Rebuilding a 67

Find another shop. Some of that stuff doesn’t pass the smell test. Looks like they are milking you imho....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 18, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Thanks Don. Unfortunately, this is the third shop I've used.
The first one was not great and ultimately ended up closing down.
The second one took forever, never hit any of their commitments and ended up charging me thousands of dollars for virtually nothing before I pulled the car.
This is the third, and 'best reviewed' of the group. I also like the team I met that's working on it.
Of course, the results will tell the story, but at this point, in the DFW area I haven't found any better options.

Mike

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 18, 05:26 PM
Team Member
Don

Hindsight is 20-20 but you would have been far ahead buying a $50k car versus the path you are on. There is another new member from Dallas who seems intent on taking that same path...

Don

1959 El Camino project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 18, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech
Kip

I know a guy in SE Kansas (5 hours from Dallas) that could knock that stuff out the park for you. I would trust him with my car .... and I dont trust anyone with my car. Personal friend that has been building resto-mods and hotrods for decades. He has a small hotrod shop in his retirement. Im betting he could fix you up for way less, and do a better job. PM me if you want his info...

Kip

1967 SSRS
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 18, 06:22 PM
John

Garage

X10. The prices for the work are way high. I put entire new EFI fuel systems in my Protour cars for $650 in parts. EFI tank, pump, filter, regulator, braided fuel lines, fittings and wiring. 1/2 a day in my garage by myself easy. Give them 8 hours at $100 per hour and it’s still 1/2 what they quoted.

A full wiring kit is $600 and be done easy in a lazy weekend

And I’m not a “professional” mechanic
kv67ssrs and H20cooled like this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 18, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Thanks guys!

Sure, Kip, will shoot you a note.

Mike
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 18, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech
mike

If you plan on selling the car then you spent too much(simple math) but if you plan on enjoying the car the no you did not waste money.
If you bought a 50k car(not a classic) chances are it would be worth much less then your Camaro which has been increasing in value.
I do agree with everyone, prices from your mechanic seem high. I swapped out my bb with my wife in the driveway, one day and had to borrow an engine crane.
Not sure what you do for a living but if you make more then 2k a day then give the other guy the work.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 18, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I'd have a look at the 454 you're pulling out in addition to what the others have said. "Old and worn out" isn't always the case when it comes to engines. Usually they can easily be rebuilt. You may not want to seeing how you already ordered the 489, but a complete 454 has pretty decent value if it's rebuildable. Did they tell you what the bore measured? Standard, .020", .030", .040" or .060" over? Do you know what heads are on it etc.? You might want to post some pics of the casting numbers and dates and see what value it might have. It could potentially take some sting out of your build.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 18, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Hi Hawk - it was 0.060 over. I think it wasn't cooling properly as a result (especially in our great texas weather). I can go snag some pics of the parts once I'm back at the shop next and will post them. I'd be interested in selling some of the old parts as I know they're not all bad. I believe the crank was already refinished, for example, so can be used in a new build. Thanks.

Mike
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 18, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

There is no guarantee buying 50k car would be any better than what you have now. I do question the prices being given. There is nothing on that list that you can't do, $900 for brake work, 3k for wiring? I would install your engine for $ 100 if your were near.
Start doing the work yourself, you will figure out what you need and what you don't.
ctcz28 and robsutt like this.

67 RS/SS 350, M21, 3:70 POSI, Hooker side mount headers, blue dot tail lights. owner since 1974.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 18, 04:50 PM
Team Member
Don

I guarantee you I could buy a better car for $50k than he will have when he is finished spending $52k, especially since he paid good money for a car with a bad engine and then invested a butt load of money into worthless and overpriced repairs...

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 18, 04:47 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

That is a problem with collector cars/bikes/boats/etc...too many out there dress up a pig, slap on some lipstick, and then sell for top $$$$ just for the guy who buys it to find all these issues, throw more $$$$ at it, and then another issue pops up, so more $$$$ is thrown at it for a fix.

Problem is also, lots of guys/gals own these classics and pay for someone else to do the work...it can get REAL expensive quick.
Not bashing you.

Its just what you want...are you worried about being upside down on the car or just want a classic no matter the costs. I know I have wayyyy more in my car than I could sell it for...but its mine and matters only to me whats in it

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 18, 06:02 AM
John

Garage

It's interesting to me that so many people buy Classics and can not find a good shop to work on them. I'm asked all the time at car shows if I know anybody and if I will work on their cars for them.

I was at BJ and Mecum last fall and talked to a few new 1st time buyers. They told me there were things they would need/want to do to the cars but did not work on them themselves. On top of that they knew very little mechanically about the cars they had purchased.

To run a successful shop you need to charge $85-$100 per hour shop rate by the time you pay overhead and mechanics.

So if you can't or don't want to do the work yourself it will cost you a ton of $ to have work done. If there is troubleshooting involved it can take hours and hours to figure some things out.

So when you take your car to a shop you have two choices. #1 sign a work order estimate and pay the hourly rate. Basically you are writing a blank check because you have no way to track hours or #2 (if the shop will agree) pay buy the job. This way you know where you stand however the shop will probably quote higher to cover themselves.

Either way get a very detailed work order as to what parts and labor are included. Best is to write up your own scope of work to be attached to the work order. You want to avoid the "hey we ran into some unexpected issues" phone call. You also want a commitment in writing as to when the work will be finished.

The hourly shop rate can be deceiving relative to the cost of the job. There are shops that quote $45 an hour but if they take twice as long to complete a task you end up paying more.

Many of us, myself included, here look a quoted costs here and say I could/would do it for a couple hundred bucks. Easy to say as we are not paying to rent shop space, utilities, insurance and mechanics.

For example I can completely re-wire a 1st Gen in a weekend and I like doing it. I've done many of them. A few people I've met at cars shows and cruises have asked me to re-wire there cars. I charge them $1000 plus the cost of the harness which is about $600. A good local shop here in Vegas charges $2500 - $3000. If I owned a shop that's about what I'd have to charge to stay in business.

The best we can offer is opinions of labor hours to complete a task.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 18, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech
Ken

The sad fact is. Many who buy a classic car ( especially a "hot" rod) have no business owning them if they can't do most of the work themselves. Unless they have very deep pockets they ultimately can not afford the car and if they don't have the skills to build or work on the many are clueless about quality work, and the price of such work. Then other issue is their lack of skills do not allow them to see shoddy or overpriced work done by others untill its to late....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode