Operation 666 - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 18, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Operation 666

So I felt it would be better for me to document my life in hell and take you all with me so I have some one to talk to =)
It starts In the late 90's I buy a whit w orange stripes Camaro with a clapped up ls6 454 w oval port heads and a HUGE solid roller cam, TH400 rev manual valve body shifted by some crazy stick cobbled to the floor with NO detents or rev lockout. All built by a meth attic as I soon discovered having the engine out 2 times in the first month. Not even making it home 60 miles as the alternator craped the bed. About a year of fussing with it as my daily and finally melting a piston racing a new camaro one night on a date. (Yea I wont ever lift) I called it quits. I built a friend a 66
fastback mustang And he gave me this roller 69 that had ac he was going to jump the shark and run a 502 after seeing what a bbc can do. Also had a 72 blazer on 36's w 454 on squeeze that made his eyes very large. I ordered a Wayne Due C4 front clip. Lateral Dynamics 3 link rear of which I convinced them to keep their 9" as I fabbed up my own Dana 60 (the only one on planet earth)
Built a 496 BBC merlin alum heads huge solid roller jessel belt drive setup for a HUGE shot. Plan was a gforce T56. Bozeforged Speedsters 18x12 rear 18x10 front. Found this car needed roof left and right qrtrs right inner qrter rocker and outer, I was center punched. ok sell white car buy truckload of new metal. 2004 Im terminated at 4 years 9 months at SBC Pac Bell one month old baby 1 month old 1500 cc silverado. Sweet eh? FFW today. drop 2nd camaro and buy This one last fall. I knew it needed rockers. But wait we all know this story right?
Wont let me upload. Meh Ill work on it

Last edited by Madspeed; Apr 12th, 18 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 18, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Re: Operation 666

Team Camaro Tech - Madspeed's Album: Camaro
Cant upload pics for some reason. Have to have paid membership for size?

There you go

Last edited by DOUG G; Apr 15th, 18 at 06:57 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 18, 05:56 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madspeed View Post
Team Camaro Tech - Madspeed's Album: Camaro
Cant upload pics for some reason. Have to have paid membership for size?
Yep. Welcome to Team Camaro....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 18, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Yep. Welcome to Team Camaro....

Don
If my pics stay here and I dont have to host them and loose them like Crapbucket then I might have to hook a come along to my wallet take a pry bar to it and pry it open. =)

EDIT: Well sheet on it. Ponied up. TC for Life Knee Grows =)

Help me w Colors 1st I wanted black 2nd I wanted newer chev lime green w silver Grand sport stripes. Now Im on black with black cherry ghost stripes and some devil faces in same on fenders 4" at emblem spots and a pitchfork same Ghost work somewhere. Im not religious and its a punch in the nose at the pia's around me =)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

This build will be boring. I dont have the patience to document like most of you fine fellas. This is just more of proof it was done and a place you can root for another lunatic. Here is where Im at Cleaning and fitting the right Qtr. I feel like mine fits well. Is there anything I must do to the qtr or rocker before Its permanent?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	212297   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	212305   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	212313  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	212321  

Yes I know I cant spell or punctuate for crap, Please cut a 3rd grade dropout some slack
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 18, 08:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Def wont be a boring build. You made me laugh multiple times I will be following

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 18, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I have some concerns. Every one has had to pull the qtrs in to the deck filler? Mine was a bitch. 2 I feel that the qtr is to low looking at the sail to roof fitment and window ledge to drip rail? The door and rocker fitments are dead nutz. Im panel bonded in wheel lip, sail to roof skeli, deck filler to qtr, qtr to rocker. I can still get it apart with induction heater if need be. Lastly the inner and outer qtr fit was pretty much dead nutz too. AMD qtrs and filler. Any one trim the excess off the window lips on the qtrs? looks like almost 1/2" to much overhang (no pic).
Whatcha tink? Burn it in?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Deck filler to qtr right.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	212785   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	212793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qtr window.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	212801  

Name:	Sail to roof.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	212809   Click image for larger version

Name:	inner to outer qtr.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	212817   Click image for larger version

Name:	inner to outter fit.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	212825  

Name:	upper.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	212833   Click image for larger version

Name:	rocker right.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	212841   Click image for larger version

Name:	qtr right.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	212849  

Yes I know I cant spell or punctuate for crap, Please cut a 3rd grade dropout some slack

Last edited by Madspeed; Apr 23rd, 18 at 08:03 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 18, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Where it was in november17 1st pic to Janury 18 I started molesting it
Yea the shifter handle is going into the circular file. Ill order one that doesnt bend up. what you want knikkahs its for a 5ive 0h mouseting
EDIT:
OOps I see I double posted some pix. Sorry bout that. Was hoping for input on the issues at hand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camaro.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	212897   Click image for larger version

Name:	OH Yeaaaahhhh!.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	212905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lateral Dynamics 3 link.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	212913  

Name:	6Spd.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	212921   Click image for larger version

Name:	10inch wide fronts.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	212929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front wheel.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	212937  

Name:	Tub.jpg
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	212945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear tinwork.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	212953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cab tin work.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	212961  

Last edited by Madspeed; Apr 24th, 18 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added info
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 18, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Ho Hum dee dee doooo Cruising along
The rockers had CHL on the stickers. The right was correct. The left however was 1/4" short at the front and will need to be adressed. Lets see how far I get tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	L Inner.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	216402   Click image for larger version

Name:	L Rocker front.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	216410   Click image for larger version

Name:	L inner rocker qtr and rocker.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	216418  

Name:	L Qtr fitting.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	216425   Click image for larger version

Name:	L Qtr and tail 1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	216433   Click image for larger version

Name:	inner to outer qtr.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	216434  

Name:	deck lid to qtr.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	216441   Click image for larger version

Name:	deck qtr gap.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	216442  

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 18, 07:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Each of the other build threads that I have read had unique problems with the quarter panels fitting. The problems you are experiencing might be different from other people.

Don't get in a hurry to weld the quarter panels. Once they are welded, then trying to fix them gets very difficult.

1. Does the outer wheel house lip fit inside the quarter panel tightly?

2. The quarter panel should wrap around the tail panel tightly. No gaps.

3. Does the body lines on the tail panel line up with the quarter panel?

4. Does the trunk drop off fit like it should next to the quarter panel?

5. Test fit the doors to see if the gap between the quarter panel and rocker is correct.

6. Other people have reported the sail panel does not fit the roof correctly.

7. Some people mentioned the gap where the quarter window goes is too wide.

8. My door jamb vents and rubber weather stripping did not fit.

9. Weld the trunk gutters pieces that are under the quarter panels. These strips of metal hold the trunk weather stripping.

10. If there are other jobs that are in the center of the car, finish them now. It is easier to get to them with the quarter panels off.

11. How are the gaps around the deck lid?

12. Other people have reported the passenger side rocker was too long. I do not remember a report of the driver side being too long. Make sure nothing has moved after the car was cut apart. Make diagonal measurements to see if everything is square. If you push the rocker forward to fit the quarter panel, then the fender gap to the door will be too wide.

You car is looking good! Keep up the good work.

Patrick
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 18, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_smith View Post
Each of the other build threads that I have read had unique problems with the quarter panels fitting. The problems you are experiencing might be different from other people.

Don't get in a hurry to weld the quarter panels. Once they are welded, then trying to fix them gets very difficult.

1. Does the outer wheel house lip fit inside the quarter panel tightly? yes I fit the qtr with the wheel housing floating and the clamped it, removed qtr and burned it it

2. The quarter panel should wrap around the tail panel tightly. No gaps. yes but its to wide and trunk lid has 1/2" gap on both sides. it is not welded yet

3. Does the body lines on the tail panel line up with the quarter panel? Yes

4. Does the trunk drop off fit like it should next to the quarter panel? Im not sure I know what you mean trunk lid and qtr end in the same spot and a ruler on the trunk would lay flat from sail to trunk edge across trunk lid and qtr.

5. Test fit the doors to see if the gap between the quarter panel and rocker is correct. This part was a pia driver door is pushed as far bac as it wil go and about a 3/8" gap vertically and 3/32 along rocker and level with qtr window, Rocker ends flush at qtr and 1/4" short at the front and rocker is 1/4" shorter than the other car that I have unmolested. pass side pushed as far fwd and 1/4" gap vertically rocker is 3/32 at the front and 1/4" at the rear. rocker ends flush at qtr and front door edge

6. Other people have reported the sail panel does not fit the roof correctly.eh Driver side qtr window rail was about where oe was, pass side was 1/4" lower.

7. Some people mentioned the gap where the quarter window goes is too wide.got a measurement?

8. My door jamb vents and rubber weather stripping did not fit. needed work So far the driver qtr window chanel was stamped to far inboard. I cut off excess from outter and welded it to inboard. .IDK bout the vent fit yet.

9. Weld the trunk gutters pieces that are under the quarter panels. These strips of metal hold the trunk weather stripping.

10. If there are other jobs that are in the center of the car, finish them now. It is easier to get to them with the quarter panels off. I think im done in there

11. How are the gaps around the deck lid?**** Sides are half inch but I havent replaced tail panel nor burned that part in yet. I might section just the lower tail panel because its rusted down low.

12. Other people have reported the passenger side rocker was too long. I do not remember a report of the driver side being too long. Make sure nothing has moved after the car was cut apart. Make diagonal measurements to see if everything is square. If you push the rocker forward to fit the quarter panel, then the fender gap to the door will be too wide.not mine The rocker on the passenger side measured exactly the same as a factory one the driver side was 1/4" short. I figured it would be easier to fix at the front than the back so I burned it in and will cut the front and section in a piece

You car is looking good! Keep up the good work.
GOOD stuff thank you

Danka

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 18, 07:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Sounds like you got it under control.

2. Everybody has the problem with the quarter panel to deck lid gap being too wide. You will have to weld some metal to the edge of the quarter panel to close the gap.

4. The trunk drop off is under the car. It is the extension that is welded to the trunk pan and also welded to the bottom of the quarter panel. Here is a link to the part that I am talking about. It is post #92.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/133-bu...-photos-7.html

7. Mine was ok. I remember Matt, 350sshugger, documented how he fixed this area. His build thread is "69 rustbucket rebirth".

Patrick
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 18, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

tp. Thanks for keeping an eye on me. I really need the watchdog as I just dont see it all like others do. I guess you could say im scatter brained=) Aha trunk drop offs Yes I have not cou out the old and worked the new. they were in tact for the most part and I thought they would help line up qters. I wll be doing them soon though. That Link im so happy to have. I will use it when I go for that area for sure. those kinds of things will help me because there is SOOOOO much info here I get overwhelmed as to who did what were and when. Brothers I say! Your all Brothers. Bless you one and all =)
Ken F

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 18, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Stil a lot of work on left side and right side at front corner is a joke. The right qtrs seem to not have a very good trunk line nor correct depth of steps dropping down into the seal area.
Looks like Im gonna be pulling the trunk floor frame rails and gas tank brackets too.
Whos making the best trunk floors?
Whos got the best frame rails? FFS im going broke.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	L-H Trunk gap.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	217161   Click image for larger version

Name:	R-H trunk gap in progress.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	217169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail pan removed.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	217177  

Last edited by Madspeed; Jun 9th, 18 at 10:20 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 18, 10:59 PM
Team Member
Don

Looks good but why is the spoiler so short? Is that a 68 spoiler?

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode