Restoring the Rusty Old Bird - '68 Firebird - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 18, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
John

Restoring the Rusty Old Bird - '68 Firebird

I decided to go ahead and start a build thread for the 'bird. I've spent a lot of time on here researching and learning what others have been doing and the information sharing has been great! I bought the Rusty Old Bird from a Craigslist ad and when I went to go see her she was filled with junk (parts that went with the car) and she was tucked in the back of the guy's shop. I went over the car as best I could looking for rust. The previous owner had put on a new hood, package tray, trunk floor, trunk lid, deck filler and front valance. He said he had it in a couple of shops over the 2 years that he owned it and it just needed a little more "love" to be a great project car. The only obvious issue with the car was that the floor pans were patched poorly so I knew I'd need to install a whole floor pan. The doors seemed solid all the way around, the roof looked good, the A pillars looked good, etc. She had a good title but no engine or transmission. After some haggling we settled on $2,800 and I picked the car up the next day.

Since getting the car home, I've learned that either the previous owner, or the shops he took it to, (probably both) felt that laying fiberglass and resin on top of rusty metal, then covering that with Bondo was the best repair option. I've never been around cars that were repaired that way so it wasn't something I knew to look for. So, at this point, I know she needs a new roof, most likely both doors, and at least one and probably both rear quarters. I'm expecting much of the same in the front fenders and tail panel.

This is what she looked like when I brought her home:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode