Pitt, I wanted to jump as far into the deep end as I could with my given budget, understanding of how cars work (which admittedly was a lot more theoretical via education than hands on), and time willing to spend working on it vs driving it. The limitations there were intended to be tempered by buying what was [supposed to be] a turn key driver that didn't require much work.
Brett, she searched for months while I was away. eBay and other sites that specialize in old plates. I can ask her for more detail if that's too generic. And yes those are the plates that I registered the car with. It depends a little on the individual you get at the DMV who looks at them, but they need to be in really good condition for them to accept. No rust, dents, paint chips, etc.
So at this point, the car looks good, everything works. Drove it to Dallas for cars and coffee with my dad and a couple other car shows that weekend. One being at Firewheel Classics, a place that specializes in first gen Camaros. There I was able to pick up a the dash trim piece that goes around the A/C vents and stereo - the car didn't come with one. Since it was all black anyway it didn't look too bad, but it's definitely much better with the trim piece.
Everything works.. except for the stereo that randomly cuts in and out. I'm big into music, car audio, and home audio, so this had to get fixed. Of course the car itself isn't exactly quiet so this would be nowhere near the kind of build in my other car that was focused on pure sound quality. But I gotta be able to cruise down the highway cranking some AC/DC! And it's gotta have enough DSP that I can do some time alignment and at least a little bit of EQ to make it sound decent. But I didn't want to spend a significant amount of time or money, so it had to be nice and clean and simple. I had about half of this gear laying around from old builds, so it was a pretty cheap but very worthwhile upgrade.
The system consists of:
- Alpine CDA-9887 head unit (has time alignment, parametric EQ, and independent level control functions as well as 4v outputs)
- Cerwin Vega B1 "Bomber Series" 500W mono amplifier (super compact size, but admittedly 68% of the reason I chose it was for its name)
- Cerwin Vega B4 80Wx4 multichannel amplifier (same series as the sub amp)
- JL Audio C2-650x coax speakers in new front kick panels
- Infinity 6x9's in the rear deck (they were there, didn't change them)
- Alpine Type R 10" subwoofer in a sealed enclosure
- Assorted 4 and 8ga power wire and distribution blocks
- Ixos RCA cables
Not a lot of in-progress pics of this build. It was one of those projects where I just wanted to get it done and didn't stop a whole lot for pictures.
New (old) head unit in along with the new trim piece (that I had to modify a little below the radio so that it could open for CDs. Not the most classic look but I need those DSP functions.
Amplifiers and associated wiring mounted under the passenger seat
Zoomed out a little to show how small these things are. You'd never know they were there. Seat slides back and forth just like normal.
Yanked out the old amp, cleaned up the trunk and the wiring, and mounted the subwoofer. Just barely fit height-wise. It's attached to the floor and to the bracing behind the rear seat with some steel brackets so it doesn't liberate itself during hard acceleration.
And finally the kick panel speakers. The kick panels are just thin plastic so I routed out a 1/2" wood ring that sits on the inside of the mounting surface to give them more support and reduce resonance/vibrations, along with some sound deadening material.
Of note if you ever plan on adding kick panel speakers, the grill of the driver's side speaker may touch the parking brake at some point during its travel depending on how thick it is.
Couple hours with the laptop and measurement microphone and got it sounding pretty darn good for a simple, inexpensive system. Cool.
Easy for the bass to get drowned out while driving so there's a little knob for the sub amp in the center console in addition to the controls through the head unit. Pretty quick to adjust if necessary.