My 69 Z/28 functional restoration - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
My 69 Z/28 functional restoration

This car was my fathers, he found it in Redding Ca. it had been stored in a container since 1988. When I got the car from my Dad it did not run or drive, I headed up to his house from Sonoma County with a trailer and drug the Z home. I dug in right away with the clean up!

how she looked the day she came to town, I'm still working on getting the blue plates re registered but Ca likes to make it difficult.

I don't have to many plans for this other than to retain as much originality as possible and to make it a reliable and functional driver. I plan to never paint the car, originally it was Rallye Green which can be seen in many places still, then at one point it was a metallic blue before it was painted its last and final color the grey that you see. I like the patina that has happened naturally and I don't mind the grey color, sure I wish it was the original green but I plan to drive this car and a $15,000 paint job will stop me from doing just that.

The interior was not to bad, drivers seat was ripped, foam was destroyed so i made the decision to re cover the seats, the bottom rear is black so I'm not sure that its original, the top portion a fold down is original but i decided to re cover that as well but i kept the original carpet on the back side.

the console was missing the center shift plate assembly so I did a light restoration on it, I plan to paint it green in the future as well.

bitcoin louvre blinds.

I replaced the carpet too that rats had eaten, in hindsight I will likely replace it again with green carpet rather than black. New floor mats followed along with the divider and package tray behind the fold down rear seat. The door panels and kicks were all original, some arse cut giant holes in the doors for speakers at some point down the line.
360chris likes this.

Last edited by Jbruce; Jan 1st, 19 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Re: My 69 Z/28 functional restoration

saving for later

Last edited by Jbruce; Jan 1st, 19 at 05:50 PM.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

this too

Last edited by Jbruce; Jan 1st, 19 at 05:53 PM.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

one more might as well

ill explain this later...

360chris likes this.

Last edited by Jbruce; Jan 1st, 19 at 05:55 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 05:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I'm liking your car and what you're doing with it.
Jbruce likes this.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
I'm liking your car and what you're doing with it.
Thanks man!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 08:05 PM
RDW
Senior Tech
Bob

Garage

Nice car

67 Camaro coupe 327 automatic
78 RS Camaro 350 automatic (sold)
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 06:58 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbruce View Post
I'm still working on getting the blue plates re registered but Ca likes to make it difficult.
The blue plates don't qualify in the YOM (year of manufacture) program so you will not be able to get them put back into service since the car has had other plates. YOM for the '69 is the black plate and although many '69 Camaros were sold new well into 1970 and were first issued blue plates the DMV can't let you use them unless the car never had other plates issued to it.

It took years and 2 governor's before the black plate bill was signed into law adding them to the YOM program.

Very cool car, I like your approach to it as well! If you are looking for Camaro folks to hang out with, check out the link in my sig. A great bunch!

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 08:53 AM
Senior Tech
Travis

Very cool car and I like your idea...keep it functional and drive it!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
Nice car
thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
The blue plates don't qualify in the YOM (year of manufacture) program so you will not be able to get them put back into service since the car has had other plates. YOM for the '69 is the black plate and although many '69 Camaros were sold new well into 1970 and were first issued blue plates the DMV can't let you use them unless the car never had other plates issued to it.

It took years and 2 governor's before the black plate bill was signed into law adding them to the YOM program.

Very cool car, I like your approach to it as well! If you are looking for Camaro folks to hang out with, check out the link in my sig. A great bunch!
damn I had no idea! When I researched it I came up with 1969 being the first year of blue plates so I was sure they were original, that makes sense why they never reply. Does that mean I can find one of those guys at the swap meets with the boxes of plates and get a set of those registered? If my car was painted I wouldn't mind the new plates but they just stand out so much against all the scratches and rust lol.
thanks for the invite I will check out the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisch View Post
Very cool car and I like your idea...keep it functional and drive it!
thanks! I think "practical restoration" probably would have been better verbiage but you get the idea.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 10:27 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:

damn I had no idea! When I researched it I came up with 1969 being the first year of blue plates so I was sure they were original, that makes sense why they never reply. Does that mean I can find one of those guys at the swap meets with the boxes of plates and get a set of those registered? If my car was painted I wouldn't mind the new plates but they just stand out so much against all the scratches and rust lol.
thanks for the invite I will check out the link
Yes, there are lots of black plates out there. Your blue plates look to be issued late 1976, early 1977 based on number letter sequence. In late 1977 starting with the "wla" series the font narrowed. Looks like your car came from out of state.

...Dennis

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

thanks for the invite I will check out the link
Yes, there are lots of black plates out there. Your blue plates look to be issued late 1976, early 1977 based on number letter sequence. In late 1977 starting with the "wla" series the font narrowed. Looks like your car came from out of state.
I’m not sure of the history, I know it was made here at Van Nuys and had been in Redding since 1988 but who knows where it was in between!
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 11:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

Is there a site where I can look up when my plates were issued? I have the original black/gold CA plates on my 68 and would be interested in learning the approximate date they were assigned to the vehicle.

1968 RS/SS 350 4sp Convertible
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 12:39 PM
Apprentice
Jim

jbruce,
cool car....

YGPM

Jim C.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 12:48 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodown View Post
Is there a site where I can look up when my plates were issued? I have the original black/gold CA plates on my 68 and would be interested in learning the approximate date they were assigned to the vehicle.
Wiki has a good article on Calif plates: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl..._of_California

If you scroll to the black and blue plates you can see there are starting and ending years but no real day and date issued info. We do know that there were new black plates issued to every car in Calif in 1963 and all other plates were recalled. That means a lot of plates were used up right at the start.

For black plates we compiled this list years ago giving plate and date examples:

Quote:
Here's what Gary provided with what I got from the last big thread on this... https://www.camaros.net/forums/showt...t=black+plates Only a couple out of place following plate alpha sequence...

Jan 1 1963 (all CA plates recalled and replaced with what are referred to as "Black Plates". Batches of plates went out by county or other geographic. Used up through "I" during the re-issue...)

BND 123
BND 124 issued new in '63

Note: by 1967 there should be some sequence although it might take knowing what geographic in order to start seeing a pattern.

1967 Cars

TUR = 10B 1966
ECS = 12A 1966 *** this should have been a plate off of a 1963 or older car ***
UBS = 12A 1966
UFH = 05D 1967
UNF723 june 67

1968 Cars

VND268 july 1968 build sold sept.
VND 987 1968
WJD 077 1968
XBN 100 june 68
XDB - june 68 build, sold ???

1969 Cars
XXD = 09D
YHA = 07A *** too late compared to other YH plate dates ***
YHN = 12C
YHS = 01D
YHZ = 02D
YJX = 02C
YMJ775 1969
YPP - sold in march
YSK - sold in april
YXD = 12C *** early car for plate ***
YXV - feb 69 build
YXV - sold around july (not same car as above)
YUC 1969
ZAR - sold in late 68 *** out of sequence, too early for sale date in '68 ***
ZUP 029 sept 69
Hope this helps...
really_n0b0dy likes this.

...Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode