Build Projects follow along start to finish

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eldon

1968 Canadian Camaro Project

A little about me:
I'm a 42 year old accountant that grew up in BFE Texas and moved to Canada 20 years ago. From the time I was 16 I wanted to build a classic car. Now I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.

About my 1968 Camaro Project:
I bought it in August and thought it was in pretty good shape. It ran and drove.The previous owner took out the interior. The floors boards and rockers needed repair, but the quarter panels were perfect. The trunk floor seemed solid (coated in POR15). I wasn't able to get under the car, but it seemed pretty good. Got it home and up on blocks. Dropped the gas tank to clean it out and found the tank support brackets were rusted out. Then I noticed the frame rails were rusty. So I decided I better tear this pig down and rebuild it. I have spent the last 6 months (evenings and weekends) taking it apart and formulating a plan of attack. I also started a youtube channel to document my progress.

Two things I've never done, work on a car and edit videos. It's a fun learning experience on both fronts. I'll add pictures as soon as I figure out how. It keeps telling me my attachment is too large. (Not the first time I've heard that) Any suggestions on how to make my pictures smaller would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
68camaroz28 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 10:29 AM
John

Garage
Re: 1968 Canadian Camaro Project

Great start to a good project.

I personally would never crawl under the car as itís supported in the video.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 11:24 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
I would install a 1 piece floor. Much cleaner install than patch work.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eldon

Thumbs up Re: 1968 Canadian Camaro Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Great start to a good project.

I personally would never crawl under the car as itís supported in the video.
Thanks, I am really enjoying it. It keeps my wheels turning.

The cribbing performed amazing.16" 2x4s screwed together with 2x2 screwed in for chocks made a pretty solid base. I rocked that thing and shoved on it and the car never moved an inch. I was surprised at how sturdy it was. Saftey first.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 19, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eldon

Yeah, I'm looking at

Replacement parts: floor pan, trunk floor, frame rails,mini tubs, inner tp and outer tp, outer rockers and shoulder panels.
Rust Repair parts:lower cowl, front of dash, driver side front door jamb, passenger side roof, passenger side door and where ever else it may be lurking.

It'll be a long road. It's gotta be done and I'm going to give it my best. I have already got the front subframe assembly DEtatched with the engine, transmission, suspension and steering still Attached. The rear suspension and axle have been removed as well as the windshield and side glass. I'm currently working on removing the back window. It's a good challenge. I have ordered jig plans from FirstGenJigs, hopefully here by Easter. Before I start building a jig I want to remove the doors and find a place to store the drive train. May need a sea can in the back yard. Wife would kill me. I'm thinking lean-to shed and fire up the engine to heat the garage.... Thoughts?
bsharp2 likes this.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 03:02 AM
John

Garage

Seems like a good plan.

Donít know about running the engine to heat the garage. I would be concerned about carbon monoxide.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 04:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Usually, people move TO Texas. Good luck on your project. Is that a Canadian Camaro? If so, you should be able to obtain documentation on it.

Brett.....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 07:21 AM
Tech Team

Cool project. I admire your willingness to dive in without having worked on cars much.

I look forward to your future videos. As a fellow Texan, I had to laugh when I heard you say no bueno. Bet that gets laughs up there. Take care with those blocks. My concern would be them slipping on the floor. Perhaps consider getting a lift for this project. Good luck.
bsharp2 likes this.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Subscribed to your YouTube channel since I love watching others wrench besides myself and because I used to own a 1968 Z/28 which I sold in 1974. A friend of mine owns it today.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Well it looks like you got yourself a big project there. If it was me, I would considering getting yourself a rotisserie and have the car blasted down to bare metal to see what else could be lurking. This will also help you when replacing floor pans or the cowl panel as you will know exactly where all the holes are and find sound metal.

We will all be watching! Good luck.
bsharp2 likes this.

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Iíve subscribed to the you tube channel too in order to follow along, I just completed my 68 last year and it was my first complete disassembly restoration. I used a rotisserie on mine and it was a lifesaver especially with having to do the floors. Iíll be checking in and if I can offer any helpful input based on my experience Iíll certainly do so. Best of luck and get yourself a factory assembly manual if you donít already have one, it is a great resource (as is this site and the great folks on it)

Follow my build project here...

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Seems like a good plan.

Don’t know about running the engine to heat the garage. I would be concerned about carbon monoxide.
I was going to pipe the coolant into the garage and run it through a radiator with a fan, but that's too much work. It would be funny though.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Usually, people move TO Texas. Good luck on your project. Is that a Canadian Camaro? If so, you should be able to obtain documentation on it.

Brett.....
Hey Brett, I have a tendency to do things backwards. I love it here. I just wish the winters were a little shorter and warmer. I'm not sure about the history on the car. I should call the guy I bought it from and get some more details. I believe he was the second owner. Thanks for the luck.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamocitySS View Post
Cool project. I admire your willingness to dive in without having worked on cars much.

I look forward to your future videos. As a fellow Texan, I had to laugh when I heard you say no bueno. Bet that gets laughs up there. Take care with those blocks. My concern would be them slipping on the floor. Perhaps consider getting a lift for this project. Good luck.
Thanks, I'm not afraid to screw it up. I'll just do my best.

I'm making videos everytime I'm in the garage now. If I can improve my editing skills they should get better. I'd love to get a lift, but I lack corporate funding at the moment, and my garage ceiling is only 8'6". LOL
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
Subscribed to your YouTube channel since I love watching others wrench besides myself and because I used to own a 1968 Z/28 which I sold in 1974. A friend of mine owns it today.

Hey Mark, thanks for subscribing. Hopefully I get some good wrench time this weekend. It's freaking cold out there. That is a sweeeet Z! I'm glad it went to a good home. Are you currently working on anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode