Team Camaro Tech banner

My 68 build thread

8K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Skates236 
#1 ·
So here is the link to my original build thread: https://www.camaros.net/forums/133-build-projects/372641-my-68-build-thread.html, after the "Great Hack" I was unable to get into my original account even after resetting my password multiple times. I'm going to attempt to keep this thread going (will see more activity after my deployment). until them I'm just buying and itemizing parts to buy so they will be there when I get home. If I can remember everything correctly, the ID said that It was I believe a March build from Norwalk, OH.(Probably fix this when I find correct info) before I left I was taking apart the rear end to replace the Ring and Pinion: https://www.camaros.net/forums/27-transmission-driveline/384570-possible-stuck-pinion-gear.html (good news!) I ended up getting it out and was cleaning everything up and getting things ready to go back together, but then I left. Lucky for me I was a to find a digital AIM, and had all my boxes marked back home so I knew what I had, since them I have been Wish listing parts on multiple sites in preparation to order. I'll also try to up load Pictures soon, not sure if the link in my previous thread still works so I'll likely post a new one. :grin2:

So my plan is to keep the car looking "Original" but upgrading things that are needed such as Steering and Brakes. Front end currently has 2" drop springs and plan on adding the hideaway headlights, that I have in a box. For the engine I don't plan on doing anything crazy probably just build a 350. Also sitting on the floor of my garage is a TH-400 that I plan to install. Most of the parts I don't currently need, such as door cards and interior pieces are in storage unit, and like most everyone else all the trim pieces are in the trunk.:laugh: I did end up cleaning and polishing four hub cap centers and they have been placed in plastic bags for safe keeping.

Feel Free to ask any question!

See less See more
#2 ·
been browsing parts and looking through the AIM, trying to get the parts I need.

here is a link https://tinyurl.com/y5grlalh to my build album on Facebook, hopefully its viewable, if not please let me know so I can adjust the settings.

well back to looking and adding parts to wish lists!

#3 ·
#4 ·
Does anyone else keep a complied list of parts to buy?

I have all mine in a spread sheet by which place I'm buying from and also for stuff I know that's in boxes in the garage.

this has been an interesting journey so far, its interesting when you just sit back and thinking about what you've done with your car and the vision you can see of it in the future. there are times, when, even though I have no interior other than the driver and passenger seats inside that I'll sit there and just think about things? does anyone else do this? for most of us, we probably aren't the original owners....(if you are congrats you're among a select few).. I just wonder if the car could talk, what would it have to say? what has it seen? what adventures has it been on? well I may never know the past of the car or how it came from Ohio to California, but I can prepare for the future to make the car have new adventures to go on and new places to see little by little it will be finished.

So from me to you I *raise a glass* here's to all our projects and future adventures!

#10 ·
Does anyone else keep a complied list of parts to buy?

I have all mine in a spread sheet by which place I'm buying from and also for stuff I know that's in boxes in the garage.

this has been an interesting journey so far, its interesting when you just sit back and thinking about what you've done with your car and the vision you can see of it in the future. there are times, when, even though I have no interior other than the driver and passenger seats inside that I'll sit there and just think about things? does anyone else do this? for most of us, we probably aren't the original owners....(if you are congrats you're among a select few).. I just wonder if the car could talk, what would it have to say? what has it seen? what adventures has it been on? well I may never know the past of the car or how it came from Ohio to California, but I can prepare for the future to make the car have new adventures to go on and new places to see little by little it will be finished.

So from me to you I raise a glass here's to all our projects and future adventures!

You mean something like this? At the bottom of my spreadsheet there is a total for all the parts bought. I need to erase that cell.

#5 ·
after the last few weeks of going through the AIM page by page here is a list of probably 98% of the parts I need to buy, this is not including the engine or Exhaust components. I'm sure there's some other parts that I will need along the line, but I'll pick those up as I get to them.

Attachments

#6 ·
First 5 items from the Above list ordered, another order to clear out the Classic Industries list will be placed soon. The above list has been modified a bit since it was posted, few things deleted due to being ordered with other items.

first order is scheduled to arrive on the 4th of January. :D

#7 ·
Hey Everyone!

So good news! im finally hope from Deployment! its time to get to work on this project!

Today I was able to inventory everything that I had in my garage, I still have one order of part that's at my parents house I'll have to pick that up at some point. I also consolidated everything into boxes, IE front end parts, Brakes, etc. also between everything I've been cleaning the garage at the same time.

Attachments

#8 ·
So I'm starting to get everything ready to continue work on the rear end and laying out pieces, I have the left and right axel bumpers but I am unsure of what bolts were used to put them on, I spent the last couple hours trying to do my homework on it before posting this. Any help would be great.

#13 ·
Was working on tear down of the rear axel today, everything is taken apart, but it seems that the bolts that are holding the drum backing plate on are siezed and I cant get them undone, I'll keep trying to heat and soak them to break them loose but ultimetly i'll probably just have to end up cutting off the head of the bolts in order to get them out.

Unless anyone else has any suggestion?

thank you.

#15 ·
Progress!!!

After fighting with the driver side backing plate bolts for the last few days, I was finally able to get the backing plate off.

After I was done with the driver side, I flipped the axel around to give me room to work, if it holds the same pattern i'll have it off in 2-3 days! here's what the passenger side looks like:

#16 ·
More Progress today!

Was able to get the Passenger side drum backing plate off, but I think I broke a socket wrench in the process, RIP
wrench :(

Looked over the axel and everything look good, nothing looks broken, no burs an no chips. Sometime here shortly, I have to go over to my parents house and pick up one of the parts orders that I had sent there, which includes disk brake conversion kit, after that gets picked up I can start the rear end rebuild.

Has anyone installed their own Ring and Pinion? I've been reading up on it and seems pretty straight forward. but does anyone have any hints or tips? have a torque spec for the ring to carrier bolts?

#19 ·
More progress today
Started the brake conversion on the passenger side, actually wasn't that bad, I did have to take things apart and then put back together to move forward, but it went fairly smooth and rather quickly, the driver side assembly has the control arm attached and is prepped and ready to go for install

#20 ·
So time for catch up, Life's been a bit crazy.... we all know how that goes....

Anyway, I've been looking around for a shop that could help me rebuild the rear end since I don't have any experience with it, even watching a bunch of videos on YouTube. I decided that I wanted it done right, so I finally found a shop that would do it for me here in town. between all the craziness in life, I've been collecting all the parts and making a pile for them to go to the shop. Once that is completed and built, I can finish the brake conversion on the rear and get all the rest of the tubing in place.

#22 ·
Jelle,

The entire set came in 7 boxes, its a full break conversion kit I ordered though Classic Industries, that shipped though Classic Performance Products (CPP) Below are the links for it. I'm trying to keep everything original looking as possible, but upgrading the safety parts (IE steering box, Breaks etc.) the rest of the rear conversion is still in a box since the rear-end is torn apart and heading out for rebuild soon.

Links:
Link for Brake Kit: 1968-1974 All Makes All Models Parts | BK2027D | 1968-69 Camaro / Firebird, 68-74 Nova 4 Wheel Disc Brake Conversion Drilled Rotors/Stainless Hoses | Classic Industries
Product # BK2027D

#23 · (Edited)
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

So as you can see everything is loaded up and ready to be dropped off at the shop.... well that's the good news.....

Bad news...

I drop it off at the shop and the guy looks everything over and say I may have ordered all the wrong parts everything I ordered was 8.2" for a 10 bolt rear end, he saying that everything is possibly 8.5" and that he'll call and let me know.
so be sides that whole ordeal... I also need new axels 🤦‍♂️ which doesn't surprise me because they are the ones that came with the car when I bought it. So now i play the waiting game to see if I'm ordering a truck load of new parts and what the next step it.

UPDATE: (10/21/2020)
I just went by the shop earlier today and talked with the guys, ALL parts fit into the Rear and nothing has to be reordered! Should have the rear end by the end of the day! Moral of the story is always do your homework before dropping off part! :D even when the shop tells you, that you might be wrong.

#24 ·

Rear End Rebuild Complete! (I'll add more photos later)

Just picked everything up from the shop, still need to unload the car... but after I do continue the work on the Brake Conversion and finish getting all the brake lines run front to back, One big piece check off the list..... Next major Piece will be an Engine build at some point but til then I have enough to keep me Busy

#25 ·
Over the past few days, I've been putting the rear end back together. I got the C Clips in and locked down. After that I started on the rest of the brake conversion for the rear end. Everything looks good so far, i did have a but of trouble with one of the calipers but was able to fix it. Next project will be adding brake lines and accessories and then installing under the car.

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)

Hey everyone,

Its been a few months but I'm back to working on the car again and I've run into a few problems while installing the brake lines, I've been trying to mock them up to see how everything will go (as shown above) but it seems like things aren't fitting right, I've gone over the vague directions (from CPP) a few times, I've got the brackets going Forward on the Left and Rear on the right. The problem I'm having is the placements of the hose connectors and the running of the lines themselves I'm not sure if they got bent at some point, have the wrong ones or any other varieties of the such. hope that the picture is helpful for some guidance.

Update:
Here is some help from the Brake and Steering section Mock up rear Disk Brake Problem | Team Camaro Tech (camaros.net)

#29 ·
Hey everyone,

it's been a while since i posted an update, as everyone else life has been crazy recently, hope that everyone has had a great holiday season, and all is well.

well, I've been in process of putting the rear back in to the car, awaiting screws for the lower shock mount hopeful they will in later this week. here are a few pictures of the process, also i am in the process of moving to Colorado so if anyone is near the NW Denver area let me know, I look forward to meeting everyone and attending shows.

Also trying to figure out why I have such a large gap between the Fender and tire, not sure if something is not sitting right or its just small tires.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Locking hubs Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Hood Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Helmet Hood

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.