69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here) - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 06:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Southeast Pa.
Posts: 1,590
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

Any surprises in the rest of that fleet?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
3d cad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 03:14 PM
Senior Tech
Brian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NE Ga
Posts: 808
Garage
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

KEEP IT STOCK!!!! Numbers matching Z!!
R/T and bsharp2 like this.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
BRICO69 is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 05:29 PM
Probationer
John
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
Posts: 9
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

I agree, keep it stock. Check the roof for rust right above where the chrome trim is located.
R/T likes this.
jcabuilder is offline  
 
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 05:36 PM
Probationer
John
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
Posts: 9
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

Don't know where you are located but if you are close to Northwest NJ I'd help you put it back together. If you haven't already purchase an Assembly Manual and the electrical drawing get them. Good luck with your project.
jcabuilder is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 08:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary
 
69Z28-RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL area
Posts: 1,503
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

I totally agree.. RESTORE the car to stock condition, and color...

RS/Z's are rare in the camaro world and valuable when restored. If you restomod the car, then you LOSE that value..

PS. There have been many yellows used on cars over the years, but 1969 Daytona Yellow is the BEST color yellow of all...
yellow69RS and bsharp2 like this.

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc
69Z28-RS is offline  
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 10
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d cad View Post
Any surprises in the rest of that fleet?
Sorry I was away for a bit during the Thanksgiving of in-laws haha. The white 69 El Camino was my first ever project at 16. It has a 350 bored to 355 with vortec heads around 460hp attached to a turbo 350, then was sent off the road by a drunk driver into a light pole and sat since 2002. The Yellow 70 El Camino SS has a 383 stroker with a non posi rear end, still running around 11:70s at 117 in the quarter mile back at Pamona Fairplex years ago. The Plain Jane 69 Camaro is all original, just a ton of bad body work on it, planning on selling it soon. Lastly the green 71 Monte Carlo is all original (original interior, paint, brakes, engine, etc) and has been in perfect condition since. Has 32k original miles and am doing a gas tank replacement as we speak. It was his pride and joy to drive around in. He was a great man.

Added some pics of the 71 Monte Carlo and the other cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mZvy2bqS.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	231127   Click image for larger version

Name:	9egJJR7Z.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	231129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pd-i-foM.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	231131  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bxmOKdP6.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	231133   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZYDmh9MG.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	231135  
Motoagogo is offline  
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 10
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICO69 View Post
KEEP IT STOCK!!!! Numbers matching Z!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcabuilder View Post
I agree, keep it stock. Check the roof for rust right above where the chrome trim is located.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcabuilder View Post
Don't know where you are located but if you are close to Northwest NJ I'd help you put it back together. If you haven't already purchase an Assembly Manual and the electrical drawing get them. Good luck with your project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28-RS View Post
I totally agree.. RESTORE the car to stock condition, and color...

RS/Z's are rare in the camaro world and valuable when restored. If you restomod the car, then you LOSE that value..

PS. There have been many yellows used on cars over the years, but 1969 Daytona Yellow is the BEST color yellow of all...
I totally hear you all and the wife and I have decided to take it back to stock. Daytona Yellow with black stripes BUT we are going the black houndstooth style interior.
I promise to have some photos of the subframe assembly soon since I am ordering the front suspension as we speak. Excited to turn a wrench again!

Oh also I am literally at the border of TN and GA, around the Chattanooga area. Wish I was closer for some help from others.
Motoagogo is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech
Brian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NE Ga
Posts: 808
Garage
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoagogo View Post
I totally hear you all and the wife and I have decided to take it back to stock. Daytona Yellow with black stripes BUT we are going the black houndstooth style interior.
I promise to have some photos of the subframe assembly soon since I am ordering the front suspension as we speak. Excited to turn a wrench again!

Oh also I am literally at the border of TN and GA, around the Chattanooga area. Wish I was closer for some help from others.
Good Call! Im near Atlanta so I'm a pretty good road trip from you.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
BRICO69 is offline  
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 12:49 AM
Senior Tech
Tim
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,611
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

Didn't see this mentioned in previous replies, but being a LA-built car, there could still be an original broadcast copy (sometimes referred to as a 'build sheet') on top of the gas tank, driver's side. Several owners here have dropped the tank and found the sheet still there and at least partly legible; some have managed to have the paper carefully removed and professionally preserved.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
ZLP955 is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 12:52 PM
Probationer
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 7
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

Glad to see you are restoring it! Hopefully someone chimes in about suspension upgrades. I know most people go with Detroit Speed, but I think you have to use their sub frame in order for it to work. I too am looking at options to upgrade my suspension. Good luck! You have a lot of work ahead of you!
kkent12 is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 10
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkent12 View Post
Glad to see you are restoring it! Hopefully someone chimes in about suspension upgrades. I know most people go with Detroit Speed, but I think you have to use their sub frame in order for it to work. I too am looking at options to upgrade my suspension. Good luck! You have a lot of work ahead of you!
So far I am looking for bolt on for the most part since I do not want to cut up the original subframe. So far I really like the look of the Road Assult kit https://www.speedtechperformance.com...d=23&mode=prod or for a cheaper option possibly something from Hotchkins, but I do hope others chime in. Just wish I had the original arms at least to start with, but since I am buying new I feel like it needs some updated gear.
Motoagogo is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 04:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,519
Garage
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

That Monte is beautiful!

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
3forme is online now  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech
Al
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,429
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

There's a guy in Canton Illinois on facebook market place that just listed control arms, etc.
for $250. Basically everything you need but springs. You can see the ad on a group called
First Gen Camaro Parts.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
allanjs is online now  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 10
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
There's a guy in Canton Illinois on facebook market place that just listed control arms, etc.
for $250. Basically everything you need but springs. You can see the ad on a group called
First Gen Camaro Parts.
But this goes back to the main question. Do we go back to stock arms and go upgraded springs and shocks? (I really do not want to modify the arms to use coilovers, heard that the bottom is not always strong enough after cutting and can break) or do we go full tubular for better driving quality? I drive a 2019 WRX STI as my daily driver and do not mind the rough stiff springs. So this is part of the decision that is making it hard to choose which I really want.
Motoagogo is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Al
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,429
Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoagogo View Post
But this goes back to the main question. Do we go back to stock arms and go upgraded springs and shocks? (I really do not want to modify the arms to use coilovers, heard that the bottom is not always strong enough after cutting and can break) or do we go full tubular for better driving quality? I drive a 2019 WRX STI as my daily driver and do not mind the rough stiff springs. So this is part of the decision that is making it hard to choose which I really want.
My personal opinion is stay close to stock because you have a valuable car. I would look into
Ridetech's Streetgrip system for improved handling. There have been some problems with
tubular arms and coilovers but I've had no personal experience with those setups. In the end
it's your choice. I will say to stay away from rack and pinion if you're considering it.
https://www.ridetech.com/application...etgrip-system/

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
allanjs is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome