69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here) - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

My father sadly passed away recently and I became the new owner of his 69 Z28/RS Camaro that was taken apart in 84, parked it in a barn, and never touched again. I plan on doing a full restoration on the car and am happy to say I still have the original body parts (hood, grille, fenders, etc), sub frame, wheels, engine, trans, and rear end. I am in the process of deciding what suspension to put on the car for a nice pro touring look. If anyone has any suggestions or tips on the restoration please let me know! I grew up doing body work and fabrication so that part will be easy, all the rest will be a bit new to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190405_122528.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	231037  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech
Richard

Re: 69 Z28/RS Restoration Project (First Post Here)

Welcome aboard, Motoagogo!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 05:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Sorry for your loss. I will say your Dad had excellent taste. Best of luck with the restoration

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 07:33 PM
Kevin

Welcome! Sorry to here about your Dad, but we are glad you plan to get his project underway!

From the looks of the firewall pics, it is indeed a RS Camaro with a Muncie 4 speed and (console gauges?). Pro touring is a great look, but for a rare Z/28 with matching engine and trans (not that many left!) I would only do mods which can be easily returned to original. The value in Z/28s is in the original condition.

Good luck and ask away!

ps, I learned this the hard way, DO NOT throw anything away, you never know when your project goes a different direction, or something that you thought was scrap, can be restored/rebuilt better then new (and the repro part doesn't fit at all!)

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 07:37 PM
RDW
Senior Tech
Bob

Garage

Welcome, sorry for your loss

67 Camaro coupe 327 automatic
78 RS Camaro 350 automatic (sold)
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Welcome! Sorry to here about your Dad, but we are glad you plan to get his project underway!

From the looks of the firewall pics, it is indeed a RS Camaro with a Muncie 4 speed and (console gauges?). Pro touring is a great look, but for a rare Z/28 with matching engine and trans (not that many left!) I would only do mods which can be easily returned to original. The value in Z/28s is in the original condition.

Good luck and ask away!

ps, I learned this the hard way, DO NOT throw anything away, you never know when your project goes a different direction, or something that you thought was scrap, can be restored/rebuilt better then new (and the repro part doesn't fit at all!)
I have to ask how did you know that the car was a RS and 4speed? Not asking in a hateful way at all just so hard being a LOS code to see what is actually in the car.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Sorry I did not have enough space to show more pics. Bought the update because this site is amazing. Also meant to add that the car is originally a 76/76 car, Daytona Yellow as you can see on the firewall. Still might go flat black in the end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8A7xaRHv.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	602.1 KB
ID:	231053   Click image for larger version

Name:	bHG5X5Ro.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	584.2 KB
ID:	231055   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190911_181229.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	669.6 KB
ID:	231057  

wireboy355 likes this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 01:56 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoagogo View Post
I have to ask how did you know that the car was a RS and 4speed? Not asking in a hateful way at all just so hard being a LOS code to see what is actually in the car.
Welcome aboard !
Kevin's probably right now so I'll fill in for the moment. On the right side (looking at your photo) of the master cylinder is a rubber grommet with 2 holes in it. Those are for vacuum lines for the hideaway headlights (RS).

And it has a "Muncie Hole" for the speedo cable on Muncie transmissions. Here's a photo of a 67 showing the holes.

http://camaros.org/images/pages/opti...all_speedo.jpg

In 69, a Muncie 3spd was also used on the SS models. I'm not sure if they had a "Muncie hole" as well ? I think they did. But all Z/28's were Muncie 4spd.

Daytona Yellow is a very desirable color. Which interior (code) does it have ?

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 07:20 AM
Kevin

Yes, was sleeping Garth is correct! RS vacuum lines and Muncie hole. Actually the hole in the firewall near that clip (SAVE THE CLIPS!) is for the speedo cable. It was routed that way since the Muncie 4-speed speedo was on the pass side and cable had to route over the trans.

The other hole I see look like the oil line for console gauges. What is missing is the hole above the fusebox where the cowl hood wiring routing. So it was probably a flat hood Z.

I have a Van Nuys 69 SS and researched firewall holes a lot to figure mine out

Kevin

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
Daytona Yellow is a very desirable color. Which interior (code) does it have ?
Seems the interior was a 711 code with the 76/76 color code. Here is a pic of the plate up close, hope that helps us know for sure its a Z28/RS. He was never the type to have a clone but claim it as real, so I hope I get get some solid info on it. Again thank you all for the help so far! Shopping for front suspension stuff right now since they are on sale, but really not sure what route I want to go. I have no front suspension parts or brakes at all for the car, so its time to either go crazy or mild.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	qNkf4VY2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	505.8 KB
ID:	231077  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

711= Black standard interior. Goes good with the yellow (or any other color for that matter) !

As you probably know, there isn't any RS or Z/28 distinguishing codes on a 69 LOS cowl tag. But you mentioned the drivetrain. A numbers matching DZ engine is about as solid proof as there is. The transmission and rear end may offer solid evidence as well. Here's a guide on checking drivetrain codes....1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding Keep in mind, re-stamps are not uncommon, so someone with experience should validate the authenticity. There's several of us around here that can help with that if you can provide some photos....

Cowl tag looks totally original and untouched, btw.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
(There's several of us around here that can help with that if you can provide some photos....)
Sadly this is the only pic I have of the rear end until I get it into a garage to tear it down more. Also threw in a pic of the only rust on the body that I have found, a pic of the interior through the firewall and lastly a bonus pic of all the cars I brought home. (69 plain Jane and Z28/RS Camaro, 69 and 70 El Camino SS, and a 71 Monte Carlo)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190913_092733.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	231087   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190912_184748.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	591.0 KB
ID:	231091   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190910_174750.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	559.7 KB
ID:	231093  

Name:	IMG_20190920_145105.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	828.0 KB
ID:	231095  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 02:15 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Well, the 12 bolt (axle) is a good sign. No doubt you're gonna find more rust...
wireboy355 likes this.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 06:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Nice pics. I see a fire extinguisher mount on the pass kick panel, what could be a super shifter hack on the trans tunnel, slapper bars, and a replacement diff cover. If only she could talk.
wireboy355 likes this.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 06:19 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Well, the 12 bolt (axle) is a good sign. No doubt you're gonna find more rust...
Looks like 4 leaf springs to me, another good sign!

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode