Mike & Michaelís 69 X11 RS - Team Camaro Tech
Build Projects follow along start to finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Mike & Michaelís 69 X11 RS

Hi All, I'm a new member and finally starting this project after sitting on it for a long time. The car was originally a Daytona Yellow X-11, SS/RS, 711 interior, black vinyl top 350 4spd car which I think we will return it to. It had been raced on and off since 1971 and owned by 5 or 6 guys in the Akron Ohio area and was originally campaigned as the Automatic Rat. I bought this car around 04 or 05 when my son was a baby planning to do a project with him when he got a little older and before the prices got way out of hand. Well heís now 17 and a junior in high school and finally asked- Dad when can we start on that Camaro? He wants to drive it to prom and graduation in June 2021. This is a lofty goal and we are late to the game but I have been gathering stuff for this car for a long time and the engine and trans are done. So Iím tearing into it now. This car has been a drag car its whole life so Iím hoping I do not have to get into a lot of rust repair in the rockers, floor, roof, and other areas. I do need to replace most of the rear half of the car as it is hacked up pretty good and I bought a fairly rust free but beat up shell on ebay a long time ago that I have for parts and have since removed the frame rails and rear valance and may use other pieces as well. I have never taken on a project of this magnitude so I have a lot of questions that I will need help with. So up to now Iíve built a jig and carefully removed a set of frame rails and rear valance from my donor clip. Now the work begins. Will post images as soon as i figure out the best way....

Last edited by Schmidtty; Feb 11th, 20 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 02:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Mike & Michaelís 69 X11 RS

best things in life right there
best of luck and welcome to TC !!!

1969 Camaro 350 EFI 200r4 342 Posi
1991 GMC Syclone #1557
2003 Sierra Stepside RCSB Belltech dropped

MY BUILD THREAD:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

Sounds like some bonding time to me. There are a lot of build threads to look at on this sit where people have done work like you are getting in to. Check them out, lots of good tips and learnings from others.....and don't forget to ask questions and post pics of your build with your son.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 01:57 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Welcome, Mike. Sounds like a great project, and the father-son time will be priceless.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 04:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidtty View Post
. Will post images as soon as i figure out the best way....

Looking forward to your build thread and pictures. You either have to be a paid member or use offsite photo hosting.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
Looking forward to your build thread and pictures. You either have to be a paid member or use offsite photo hosting.
Thanks, I just paid for a year membership. Hopefully I can get going.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Okay so here's a current picture of the car which I plan to blow apart this weekend and put on the jig which I built using plans found on this site. Thanks. I had a fairly rust free rear clip that I had bought on ebay years ago that I removed the frame rails and rear valence from. My plan was I was going to build the rear sub assembly (trunk pan, frame rails, valance panel) first and try to graft it to the original floor pan in the car once on the jig and wheel tubs and trunk pan removed. One of my first questions is can or should this be done or would it be better to fit it all in the car with the wheel housings and floor pan in place? The reason I ask is I cannot find a point of reference to start from. The rails are 42-5/8 apart (not 42-7/8 as specified) as welded by GM. Also are those supposed to be centered equally and clamped in place with this type of jig they're kind of floating right now? And I bought this one piece floor (AMD in 2014) and it fits bad. The shock mount braces are about 3/8" away from the kickups on the frame rails at the floor/trunk seam and then get closer as it goes back. There is a bow or belly in the center rear flange where it would meet the tail panel I thought it was supposed to be pretty straight (maybe that's only 67-8). The fit to the valance is poor and when you center the Gm valance on the pan side to side it does not fit the contour in the center for the fuel filler neck and the tank braces appear mounted too far forward and don't meet in the rear where they would attach. I cannot return this pan and really cannot afford to throw it away. How many guys cut these things apart and custom fit every bit of it? I have to admit I have read a lot of build threads on here and told myself "I can do that", now i'm felling pretty intimidated. Appreciate any input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car.png
Views:	66
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	232679   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame rails.png
Views:	55
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	232681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0801.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	232683  

67 Chevy II Sedan 9.71 @ 134.00
69 Camaro SS/RS Project Car
2003 Suburban Daily Driver
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Here's a picture of the fit of the valence to the trunk pan when the 2 are centered side to side. There's about 1" difference between the length of the flange on the trunkpan and the length of the valence. I assume they are supposed to be equal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0800.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	232685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0799.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	232687  

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 04:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Okay so here's a current picture of the car which I plan to blow apart this weekend and put on the jig which I built using plans found on this site. Thanks. I had a fairly rust free rear clip that I had bought on ebay years ago that I removed the frame rails and rear valence from. My plan was I was going to build the rear sub assembly (trunk pan, frame rails, valance panel) first and try to graft it to the original floor pan in the car once on the jig and wheel tubs and trunk pan removed. One of my first questions is can or should this be done or would it be better to fit it all in the car with the wheel housings and floor pan in place? The reason I ask is I cannot find a point of reference to start from. The rails are 42-5/8 apart (not 42-7/8 as specified) as welded by GM. Also are those supposed to be centered equally and clamped in place with this type of jig they're kind of floating right now? And I bought this one piece floor (AMD in 2014) and it fits bad. The shock mount braces are about 3/8" away from the kickups on the frame rails at the floor/trunk seam and then get closer as it goes back. There is a bow or belly in the center rear flange where it would meet the tail panel I thought it was supposed to be pretty straight (maybe that's only 67-8). The fit to the valance is poor and when you center the Gm valance on the pan side to side it does not fit the contour in the center for the fuel filler neck and the tank braces appear mounted too far forward and don't meet in the rear where they would attach. I cannot return this pan and really cannot afford to throw it away. How many guys cut these things apart and custom fit every bit of it? I have to admit I have read a lot of build threads on here and told myself "I can do that", now i'm felling pretty intimidated. Appreciate any input!
Quote:
Here's a picture of the fit of the valence to the trunk pan when the 2 are centered side to side. There's about 1" difference between the length of the flange on the trunkpan and the length of the valence. I assume they are supposed to be equal.
Hi Mike, don't get intimidated. From what I see of the parts you scavenged you did a great job and have the skills do get this done. Having to trim and cut, reform, and weld on the aftermarket metal is normal and will have to be done every time. They never just fall on. It's common for the trunk floor not to have the same shape as the rails, have to be moved forward or back and then ratchet strapped down into final position. I think tpsmith's build (69 Firebird convertible) shows this problem. If I were you, I would fit the scavenged pieces to the car first since having the rails in the right place is the most important. The problem with fitting the trunk floor like you have really limits your reference points like you said. You'll have to think through the order of operations in order to get the new trunk pan in the car since it has to go in through the bottom.

Try not to get overwhelmed by the size of the project but break it up into small tasks that you can complete. That way you are always achieving goals and that keeps the motivation to keep making progress.

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Matt, Thanks for the encouragement. I think you're right I'm going to change my approach and fit the rails into the car after I get everything in it apart and get the wheel houses located.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Here's a small update. Over the weekend we removed the front sheetmetal, subframe, and rear suspension and put the car up on the jig. Everything is old drag race technology but this car must have been a really cool car back in its day. Having a roll bar and full framerails in it made it pretty easy to pickup as its pretty stiff. However the car wont sit all the way down on the jig because of some slider shackles in the rear frame rail. One good thing is there is about 6" of the original frame rail still in the trunk which will help locate/support the rear of the car once I get the aftermarket stuff removed. We started cutting the old tubs and trunk floor out. Everything was stick welded and brazed and is built like a tank. The rockers are pretty hacked up on the end so I will have to replace the outers and inner braces at minimum wont know about the inners until I see whats inside. I was going to try to save the original rust free floor and patch a piece in the rear but I will probably have to destroy it to remove these frame rails and subframe connectors so a 1 piece floor is now on my list. The snow ball seems to grow every time I go to the garage but I expected that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheel tubs.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	232877   Click image for larger version

Name:	body on jig.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	232879   Click image for larger version

Name:	old framerails.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	232881  

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

After viewing the numerous build threads in here it appears that most guys prefer to rebuild the cars piece by piece. Has anybody used a completed one piece floor assembly like the Real Deal steel? See link below. Just weighing my options.

https://realdealsteel.com/i-20145110...th-braces.html

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Quote:
After viewing the numerous build threads in here it appears that most guys prefer to rebuild the cars piece by piece. Has anybody used a completed one piece floor assembly like the Real Deal steel? See link below. Just weighing my options.

https://realdealsteel.com/i-20145110...th-braces.html
I haven't used a full floor like that but have an auto body background. The only thing about that full floor that would concern me is that it is a reproduction and no repro is perfect. Also you are working on a 50+ year old car and working with that large of a piece will be even tougher to get it to fit correctly. I'm sure there are many other opinions on here but I see potential for headaches.

My 69 Build thread :

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 06:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

My car was really bad and I considered something similar at first. My problem was I had no physical capability to handle such a large piece in my shop. The logistics of picking up the car and dropping it on top while simultaneously making it fit right weren't possible for me. I notice the whole piece is pretty expensive too. I think buying the trunk floor, floor, valence and rails is going to only be about $800-900 in comparison IIRC.

My Build Thread

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Thanks Greg and Matt, You both have valid points and I only need to buy a $300.00 floor pan I already have all the other parts.

I have jig question if somebody might know and could help me. Does anyone know what the vertical dimension would be for the floor pan where the rear subframe cage nut is supposed to be from the datum? Also a centerline dimension from either the 33 1/2 or 44 9/16 pin centerline? I'm kind of wishing I could've or would've bought and built the FGJ plans but I think they're gone. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode