High Performance Radiator Cooling Tips - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 11, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

High Performance Radiator Cooling Tips

If you have a custom built, turbo-charged, super-charged, or other high output engine in your car, you probably need better cooling. You might even consider a new high performance radiator. If you've put in a new radiator and you're worried it's not quite enough, here are a few radiator cooling tips to get a little more efficient out of your radiator cooling system:

Don't use a 50/50 anti-freeze mix. Water is more efficient at transferring heat than anti-freeze. If you live in a climate where 50/50 is not strictly required (i.e. it never goes below -34 degrees), then you can probably get away with a 70/30 or less (but always leave at least a little anti-freeze in the system for corrosion and build-up protection).

Use bigger hoses. Fatter hoses let your coolant move more quickly through the system. With less resistance, the water pump doesn't have to work as hard, so you may get a little more coolant throughput or a little less draw of power from the engine (both good things).

Get a new pump. This is especially true for older cars. Old pumps are just not very efficient by today's standards. Today, you can get high output pumps that move more coolant with less power, leaving your engine cooler and with more power available to spin those wheels.

Never use a reducer. Reducers are a big myth. Let your thermostat determine when and when not to move coolant. And when you are moving coolant, you want to move as much as you can, especially in high horsepower environments.

Raise the pressure. Higher pressure means a higher boiling point. A higher boiling point means more efficient cooling. A new radiator cap is usually all that is required for this (but make sure you don't overpressurize - you'll balloon your new radiator cores and wreck the whole system).

Add more surface area. If none of the other radiator cooling tips can get your engine cooled enough, you probably have to add a bigger new radiator. No matter what a radiator is made from - copper, brass, aluminum, steel, lead - the more surface area, the better. Of course, each type of material has its own advantages and disadvantages and you will have to figure out what suits your requirements best.

http://www.radiator.com/article-high-performance.html

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 11, 11:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: High Performance Radiator Cooling Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
... a few radiator cooling tips to get a little more efficient out of your radiator cooling system: ...

Use bigger hoses. Fatter hoses let your coolant move more quickly through the system. With less resistance, the water pump doesn't have to work as hard, so you may get a little more coolant throughput or a little less draw of power from the engine (both good things).

Add more surface area. If none of the other radiator cooling tips can get your engine cooled enough, you probably have to add a bigger new radiator. ...

http://www.radiator.com/article-high-performance.html
Good post

And ...

Don't forget;

* to use an Internal Spring in the pump inlet hose (or specifically reinforced hose) to prevent high negative suction pressure from collapsing the hose and restricting the flow at speed.

* to identify when/where your system is not providing sufficient cooling during operation;
- low speed overheat will 'usually' be attributed to air flow over the radiator being not sufficient to allow for good heat transfer from the system.
- high speed overheat (or overheat under most off-idle conditions) will usually point to the system being undersized (rad./pump/hose[s] & etc.) for the application or the system has a restriction (like a colapsing pump intake hose ) that is preventing proper circulation of water/coolant through the system to disipate the heat.

All this will assure you can operate your vehicle no matter what type of driving you do and what the outside conditions are

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 11, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: High Performance Radiator Cooling Tips

The anti dreeze yeah agree on the anti freeze but still use the anti corrosion component of the ant freeze.
And the difference between a black surface and chrome or polished semi polished surface ablity to transfer heat is dramatic.....paint cooling surfaces mat black

A huge majority of engine cooling is by the oil system....thru tappet covers and sump etc, even the block its self.... large cooling areas here finned sumps and tappet covers and again make the use of matt black, particularly effective in these areas
old saying "Chrome for show , Black for Track" rings very true.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 11, 03:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Another tip often over looked - use a good fan shroud. Without a fan shroud the fan isn't going to do a good job of pulling cool air through your radiator when you are at low speed or sitting still.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 11, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good post, indeed.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 11, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with Evans Coolant. Read a very interesting story on its attributes back some months ago but realize it does have a cost factor. Also read an excellent answer in HotRod or one of the mags on overheating and the answer on checking the pulley diameters to make sure your turning your water pump enough but darn if I can remember the recommended ratios. I saved that article and placed it somewhere..... Anybody else read that?
Good info in this thread

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 11, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Typically, water pump pulley is overdriven by 30%.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 11, 04:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Great post indeed. I'll soon be facing buying a new Rad. for my RS build and these tips will help.

I'm considering a 4 core aluminum for my ZZ427, I hope that is adequate?

69 ZZ427 RS resto-mod in progress.
Build Pics --->

69 X77 Z28 406 TH400.
69 Pre X RS Z28 in boxes.
67 Chevelle 496 TH400.
64 Nova 396 TH350.
Gold Member #1164
Jim
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 11, 05:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Great stuff!
4 cores are going the way of the dinosaur. Thickness is the key. A two core, same thickness as a 4, will have less restriction to flow.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 11, 03:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

a big one that was overlooked
ONLY USE DISTILLED WATER!!!!!
I use evans coolant personally which is far supierior that coolant/ water mix.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 11, 09:31 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Yeah or Filtered deionized , but that only applies and depends on the quailty of your local water supply...be very careful with bore water.
Water with ground salts and dirt degrades the anti corrosion chemicals in the anti freeze very quickly.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 13, 04:30 PM
Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
a big one that was overlooked
I use evans coolant personally which is far supierior that coolant/ water mix.
Wow, nice tip, never considered this,
will note down this tip,
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 17th, 13, 07:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I did that with distilled water and antifreeze. But I have read that with distilled it pulls the ions out of the antifreeze decreasing its effectiveness and without antifreeze will pull the ions out of the base metals of block, intake, etc. and cause corrosion. I'm not a metalurgist but I understand the concept.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 17th, 13, 08:45 PM
Team Member
Ty

One of the most informative posts I have read. Lot of science behind the cooling system.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 04:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

If you use distilled water make sure you use a anti-corrision additive. I ran just distilled water in a aluminum radiator and in about 4 years had a few holes in it. The vendor said it was from electrolise, but I took my ohm read and it read 0 ohms from the ground. So I don't believe that was the reason.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode