Rally Wheel Cap Install/Remove - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 12, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garth

Rally Wheel Cap Install/Remove

Not enough action down here and was getting tired of seeing "Poor Mans Plating" , so I figured I'd come up with somethin' else to take it's place.

Surely many folks are aware of this, but there's probably a few who aren't. I found it quite easy to install or remove a rally cap from an original GM wheel if you pay attention to where the nubbins on the wheel are located. Easier means less paint damage and rally cap distortion from prying.

On the left is Wheels Vintique, to the right is an FW coded GM wheel. Note on the GM wheel, the nubbins are not equally spaced. If when installing, you position the cap into the 2 nubbins by the valve stem, it's very easy to POP the third one home on the opposite side of the valve stem. Same when removing, pops free with little effort if you pry directly across from the valve stem, opposite side. I presume other GM rallys are the same ? The WV aftermarket wheel isn't designed the same and not as easy to remember where the nubbins are located.

Anyone have any tips to reduce/ eliminate scratches and chips when removing the caps ? What tool do you use, etc.....

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Feb 11th, 12 at 10:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 12, 04:55 AM
Kevin

Re: Rally Wheel Cap Install/Remove

Good write up! I use this method to install, but never thought to check the alignment with the valvle stem! I just pull them off without a tool and can just bang them in with my hand.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 12, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garth

Thanks, yeah, I use the bang-on method with the palm of my hand but didn't realize you can just pull them off with your bare hand !?! Do you get your fingertips under the edge or grab TopHat and pull ?

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 12, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech
rob

i have gm originals and the caps just pull off by hand no problem too
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 12, 02:58 PM
Kevin

Yes, I can just grab them and pull from the edge. They are GM originals on original rims.

Kevin

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 12, 02:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Brings back memories - a friend of mine had an early 70's Nova with the derby caps on rally wheels. Back in the 80's when it was a daily driver, he had a lot of problems with people stealing his caps. It got bad enough that he was seriously thinking about gluing razor blades to the back side of the lips on the caps to give a would-be thief a little surprise. I advised against doing this, unless he wanted his windows busted out or dents kicked in the car.

I had a set of Corvette rallies and tires stolen off my car in a busy college parking lot in broad daylight one time. Came out from class to find the car up on blocks. I couldn't believe it! I thought one of my buddies was playing a joke on me at first. With the popularity of the aftermarket wheels, you don't much have to worry about theft of factory wheels anymore.

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 12, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garth

Wow Tom, ROUGH neighborhood huh !?! Think you're right about NOT doing the razor blade trick !

Yeah, I wouldn't be too concerned about Rally Wheel theft , but the caps, nice ones, can be a worry. About $600 worth, bought new from GM !...and so easy & quik ! What do you guys think of the cable locks available, as a theft deterent ? Obviously not entirely thief proof, but do they fit ok ? PITA to use ?

Man Kevin, pulling them caps off by hand are a bit more than my fingers wanted. I'll be using a tool , probably the claw end of a "Wonderbar" but will need to lay a piece of leather or something on the wheel to prevent paint damage.

Anyone else have tips or techniques to share ??

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Feb 14th, 12 at 12:39 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 12, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I always used the lug wrench to pry off. Maybe use a shop rag over the wrench tip to protect the paint.

As I think about this event, in my younger years as taught by the station mechanic, jab the tool into place, pop off the hub cap/wheel cover and watch it hit the floor, do a spin on its edge, and step on it to keep it in place. It seemed to be the thing to do. It's a hub cap. Then when came time to install said hub cap/wheel cover, place your kneecap on the edge, smack the opposite side with your palm, as others mentioned, and/or use a rubber hammer. If it dented, oh well.

Now with exposed lugnuts/bolts, it's not as much an issue any more. No more of seeing your wheel cover go spinning off into the ditch ahead of you as you just went over the railroad tracks or jolted your butt over the potholes.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 12, 03:36 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
Man Kevin, pulling them caps off by hand are a bit more than my fingers wanted. I'll be using a tool , probably the claw end of a "Wonderbar" but will need to lay a piece of leather or something on the wheel to prevent paint damage.
Sorry! I guess 40+ year old caps lose some of their fight! Mine do not hurt to remove

Kevin

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 12, 07:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Sorry! I guess 40+ year old caps lose some of their fight! Mine do not hurt to remove
Maybe you are just a BAMF Kevin..
I use a tool to remove and palm of hand to put back. Never though about the "nubbins" placement. Not even sure if I have GM rims.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 12, 08:11 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpantera View Post
Maybe you are just a BAMF Kevin..
I use a tool to remove and palm of hand to put back. Never though about the "nubbins" placement. Not even sure if I have GM rims.
I have never been called a BAMF before, ha! My 160 pounds of out-of-shape old guy is definetly NOT a BAMF!

Kevin

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Garth

Took a bit to figure out BAMF !, but was thinkin' ANIMAL all along. BTW Kevin, I'm running some old?, refurbished (by me) ebay specials....had some NOS that came with the car, years ago and let them go....could'nt resist at those ridiculous prices.

Guess Everett has it right ; GM intended for folks to use the supplied tire iron to pop off the cap (not gonna do it) as surely little ol' gramma (not being a BAMF !) could change a tire too....

btw Everett, that hubcap etiquette you describe must be set in stone since the beginning of time, as that's the exact same routine I was taught also !

Still open to suggestions, tips & techniques......and what about those LOCKS to help keep Rally Caps out of thieves hands ? Anybody use them ??

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I remember the lanyards tying the wheel cover to the lugnut.
Seen a cover come off and here goes the w/cover slapping about the qtr panel........

I believe if you check the flat end of the lug wrench, one side of the flat has a little ridge on it to grasp the hub cap/wheel cover preventing the wrench from slipping out from the interface. Try a dog dish, any brand, on a steel wheel, same brand, and use the supplied lug wrench, works great.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 04:13 AM
Kevin

I noticed that ridge on the iron too. On full covers, the rubber tire provides a good fulcrum, but on the poverty and rally caps, it would appear the fulcrum (tire) is too far from the cap. What do you have to do? twist? I would think a twist would damage something. my swap meet poverty caps have a lot of rim dings, I would supposed from the twisting action.

I too thought about the locks if a cap fell off while driving. Is it better to lose your cap than to have it flopping around damaging things and have to replace it anyway beacuse it got banged up to sh*t.

I do not have locks on mine
Bigfish45 likes this.

Kevin

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 12, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

do the finger pull and palm tap install here as well..

love them all corvettes,camaros,chevelles!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode