repl. seat cover wrinkles - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 12, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
jim

repl. seat cover wrinkles

installed a set of PMI factory replacment seat covers. Back seats great. Back of front seats great. Bottom of front seats have a couple of wrinkles at th front where the pleats and the contours on each side meet. Took them to an upholstry shop, same results. PMI says I need new foam, shop says I don't. Foam appears to be in good shape. And of course they won't sell you just the bottom pad, which means I will have to remove and reinstall backs. Then I will really be ill if I spend another $300 for pads and they are still wrinkled. Any sugestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 12, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: repl. seat cover wrinkles

If u where to compare the sjhape of the old foam with new foam, im sure u will see a big difference.
I still have my orginal factory upholstry..after nearly 300K miles...but 10yrs aor so ago (pre internet) the orginal upholistry wa a bit misshapen...I dismantled ..had a freind who had an upholstry business.. non automotive, he advised me/supplied a grade of foam which I cut to a shape like the orginal but bit more volume in it, stuck it in and presto..nice shape again ...but real crap comfort....69 camaro designers screwed up real bad on the front seats.
So I then removed the covers again, re cut and added/removed bit extra here and there in the base....again no loose covers and a little more ciomfortable.. but still sucked for a daily driver/road trip.
I then replaced ans stored the orginal with 1988 subaru seats leone/omega on the orgibnal camaro runners...These are damn near identical in diamensions ...lean all the way back and give far more generous entry into the rear seat.

Quote:
Any sugestions?
I would get scrapes of suitable foam and cut to spot glue over the orginal pads to make up the difference between your compressed oes and what they should be like.....with a little creative thought to making more comfortable.....

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 12, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Not that it matters much, but do you mean TMI or PUI ??

Would think your upholstery shop would know, or maybe they don't want to take the time, but wrinkles can be improved and sometimes eliminated with the use of a steamer and some massaging to work the wrinkles out. If you don't have a steamer, you can lay a damp towel down and use an iron, then while it's warm, remove the towel and massage. NOTE; extreme care must be used to make sure the iron doesn't make direct contact with the vinyl as it surely will melt the surface. Just be sure to keep the iron on the damp towel.

Or use a steamer.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 12, 04:16 AM
Guess

If it's that tough to get the wrinkles out, and even an upholstery shop says they can't smooth them out... then it has to be the way the material was sewn to the seams and pleats. They'll probably always be a little wrinkled.

If you don't want to spend that much for new buns, just go to the sewing shop where grandma buys her yarn and fabrics and pick up a couple different types of batting material for making quilts and pillows. They'll also have denser foam type materials. Remove the upholstery, add foam and batting to the different areas, and put the upholstery back on.
It'll fill out the low spots and soft spots in the buns.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 12, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
jim

Took a little of your advice. Put in a layer of quilt batting, restretched, and set out in sun this morning. Just got through massageing and working them. They look much better. A local guy also said he thinks once they are in car and in the summer heat they will smooth on out. Thanks for all the advice.
Also for the record they are PUI brand. Parts Unlimited Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode