Theft safe guarding question - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 12, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Theft safe guarding question

I have what I would call an upper end driver. I was curious how others protect their cars from theft when away from home.

battery disconnects
fuel shutoff
alarms
steering wheel locks
etc.....

What do you think is the most effective mechanism?

Thanks

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 12, 12:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: theft safe gaurding question

Locked garage and a large dog on the front porch.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 12, 12:42 PM
Guess

Re: theft safe guarding question

I sleep in mine.

Other than an ignition cut-off, it's in the garage when I'm not driving it. Never in the driveway, ever.
As far as at work, I just park out of the mainstream view, and kill the ignition.
If someone wants the car, they're going to get it no matter where you park or what you do to deter them.

Install a tracking device in it so at least you'll know where the thieves took it.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 12, 01:28 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Re: Theft safe guarding question

I drive mine all around town on a regular basis and often to work. I have a kill switch on the electric fuel pump and put a lock on the hood. When I park anywhere I activate both. If it's an all day affair like work I park in front of the building and disconnect the battery cable along with fuel pump and hood lock. A pro will steal it he he really wants to, these measures simply slow him down. No different than locking up a bicycle.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 12, 02:09 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I typically do a couple over night trips a year and always cover the car at night with it parked nose in with the wheels turned full lock in one direction. This way if they try to lift the rear and tow it off the car will sorta fight back unless they take the time to get past the steering lock. I also disable the ignition and use a club onthe over night trips.

A lot of the drives I go on are to what you might call tourist type attractions but I usually go along with others in their classics too and that in itself adds a bit of security, think safety in numbers.

In the end these old cars are our babys but they are still cars and just using good common sense goes a long way. It also helps to have good insurance...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 12, 03:56 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Integrated hood-lock and ignition kill switch and battery disconnect.
lojack for "classic" cars that has its own power supply
and just in case a cell phone under the spare with tracking enabled that charges from a cheap solar pad laying in the vert well.
I like to cover all the angles.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 12, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

$45k insurance coverage and knowing I'll get to make the UPS guy sick of me again is all I need.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 12, 05:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

If you are traveling and stay in a motel get a room on the ground floor with the car close by.

Years ago I used to travel with some racers, usually from 5-10, and would stay at motels from time to time. Usually one person would stay up to keep an eye on the cars and rigs, we would take shifts. Someone almost always had to work on a car late at night anyway. Sometimes we would hire a local security firm to put a guard by the cars...with 5-10 people paying it was really cheap.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech

Some missed...having the MIL nearby...but, seriously an up to date anti theft device with a back up cut off makes sense.

HWJ's suggestion lets you see where the car went/is...but, if they want it, they'll get it.

Check the archives for a lot more info on this issue as there's scads of it in the vault, eh?

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 06:41 AM
Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcanuck68 View Post
Check the archives for a lot more info on this issue as there's scads of it in the vault, eh?
capt
I was going to suggest that but it gets old after a few years.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 06:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

fuel shut off and remove the distributor rotor.
battery also get taken out and put on trickle charger in another garage.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 07:39 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_randyb View Post
I have what I would call an upper end driver. I was curious how others protect their cars from theft when away from home.
Randy - Can you elaborate a little? By the replies it seems some read "away from home" as going somewhere and leaving the Camaro home and others read it as taking the Camaro out and parking it in public away from home...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I'm noticing a trend that car thieves increasingly tow away classic cars to circumvent hidden kill switches etc. A hidden GPS tracker is safest bet. I have also seen people use those "boots" that parking police put on wheels to prevent theft.

67 RS Convertible, 355ci, 650cfm, 5-speed, 12-bolt, 3.90 gears. 12.7 @ 110 mph

Last edited by Marktat; Aug 9th, 12 at 08:57 AM.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Randy - Can you elaborate a little? By the replies it seems some read "away from home" as going somewhere and leaving the Camaro home and others read it as taking the Camaro out and parking it in public away from home...
Sure Dennis, I meant both situations. I've only owned my car for a couple months and have worked hard in reliability. I now drive to work on a regular basis and I am concerned about theft there. It's in a large parking lot on a university campus. Thought that was safe but just this morning a woman was assaulted and her car stolen - yikes!

I eventually want to do overnight runs as well so the range of advice is all good!

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I know it must be a well worn subject and I appologize for not looking through the archive first.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Using a flat bed, your car can be gone in a minute or less with most of the deterents mentioned. Turned front wheels get jacked up using special jacks that most ramp truck drivers have. It adds about 10 seconds to the whole process if you're in a hurry. If it's a vehicle I want back no matter what condition it's in like my Camaro? a GPS device and/or Lojack.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D (8/22/1969) M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode