First time for "USED" oil "Wear Test" data - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 12, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

First time for "USED" oil "Wear Test" data

This is the first time I've "Wear Tested" used oil, to see how it performs compared to the new oil I've always tested up to now.

“NEW”5W20 Castrol Edge with Titanium, API SN = 99,983 psi “load carrying capacity/film strength”
zinc = 1042 ppm
phos = 857 ppm
moly = 100 ppm
titanium = 49 ppm
Total anti-wear = 2048 ppm

“USED”5W20 Castrol Edge with Titanium, API SNwith 5,000 miles on it = 107,391 psi “load carrying capacity/film strength”
Used oil lab test quantities:
zinc = 791 ppm (down 251 ppm or down 24%)
phos =643 ppm (down 214 ppm or down 25%)
moly = 67 ppm (down 33 ppm or down 33%)
titanium = 36 ppm (down 13 ppm or down 27%)
Total anti-wear = 1537 ppm (down 511 ppm or down 25%)

The 107,391 psi wear protection capability of the used oil above, is a 7% “higher” wear protection capability with this batch of “used” oil, compared to the original “new” test oil batch. Repeat testing of both the used batch of oil and the original new batch of oil, resulted in consistent and repeatable results for each batch. So, all the wear protection capability numbers shown above are absolutely correct, and simply are what they are.

This is of course only a single used oil data point. So, it is too early to know for sure if this particular used oil showed a little higher level of wear protection, compared to new oil, because of differences in separate batches of oil produced at different times, or if used oil might tend to show somewhat improved values. More upcoming used oil testing will shed more light on that. But, either way, it is comforting to see that as oil goes at least 5,000 miles, it does NOT lose its wear protection capability, even though the zinc and the other anti-wear component levels have dropped significantly.

And as you can clearly see in particular, the 24% zinc depletion noted above, did NOT result in any loss of wear protection at all. Previous testing of new oils with various levels of zinc, have shown the same exact results time and time again, where zinc levels alone had no affect at all on the wear protection capability of any motor oil. Higher zinc levels DO NOT and CANNOT provide more wear protection. Higher levels of zinc can only provide LONGER wear protection, because extra zinc will simply take longer to become depleted. The base oil and its additive package “as a whole”, are what determine an oil’s wear protection capability, NOT how much zinc is present.

The next “used oil” to be tested, will be the number 1 ranked 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra, API SM. I’m running that oil in a 435 HP LS2 engine right now, and should have some data on how it performs after 5,000 miles, in a couple of months.

540 RAT
Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 12, 04:38 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: First time for "USED" oil "Wear Test" data

If you are not going to answer members questions about the info you post you will be banned from posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post
Thanks for the information. I have read your other threads. There I also asked questions like...

What is your background, degree, work experience, etc. ?

Never saw any answers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Hey Big B, you won't get any. This guy is all over the internet as pointed out to me by another TC member. I too thought this info was great. The guy never responds to anything leaving one to believe this may be all BS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post
I am starting to think so. Without some answers, I have doubts that it is all valid. Let's hope we hear some answers.
I don't want to take this route but I've asked you previously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
If you don't come back and address the questions members have about your posts I will start deleting them! You PM'd me and I told you why I keep moving your posts to the tips and tricks forum and you don't seem to want to participate here! What's up with that? Maybe you should pop in and address some question the guys are raising in here...

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210532
This is your last warning! If you are not attentive to the questions raised by your posts, you won't be allowed to post!

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode