Broken Bolt Removal Tip - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 12, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bob

Broken Bolt Removal Tip

I had three exhaust manifold bolts snapped flush with the heads on the LS I picked up. I tried Easyouts, which didn't work. Someone had suggested welding a nut to the end of the boolt, but I couldn't get a good weld down in the hole after several tries, so the nuts didn't hold.

Instead, I welded a washer to the end of the bolt, and then welded a bolt to the washer. The broken bolts turned out effortlessly. This was made easier since the heads are aluminum, which prevented the washer from bonding to the head, but a thin layer of grease on the bottom of the washer could probably solve that concern on a cast iron head.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pics, but I think you get the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 12, 05:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: Broken Bolt Removal Tip

The combination of localized heat on the fastener and the increased perch of a nut really makes removing broken-off or frozen fasteners much easier

If you trying to get a bolt out without welding, the use of a "Left-handed" drill bit will yield great results.
I bet 90% of the time the piece starts to back out on the drill bit before it ever hits the bottom for me

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 12, 06:54 PM
John

Garage
Re: Broken Bolt Removal Tip

So no new heads for you.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 12, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
So no new heads for you.
Nope- was a bit saddened about that myself, but in the end, I'll still get the hp I'm looking for even without them, and will have about $1,500 to spend on the rest of the project.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 12, 07:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Talking Re: Broken Bolt Removal Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Nope ...
... and will have about $1,500 to spend on the rest of the project.
You'll burn through that in a heartbeat with just mounts, exhaust and driveline mods

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 12, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
You'll burn through that in a heartbeat with just mounts, exhaust and driveline mods
Already accounted for that....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 12, 07:12 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Nope- was a bit saddened about that myself, but in the end, I'll still get the hp I'm looking for even without them, and will have about $1,500 to spend on the rest of the project.
I got a guy that will do a great mild port and polish for a very good price.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 13, 06:49 PM
Tech Team
Pat

Nice tip! I've been welding nuts on forever. I've usually pulled it off with a small stick welder instead of the wire welder. This tip should make it even easier.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 13, 04:35 AM
igra

sorry for my english a bolt means a hexagonal nut right,if so i saw a mechanic when a bolt was broken from both ends he hmm used a scratcher make its shape identical to a nut then very carefully opened it.hope it adds a new idea in your heads.

thanks for reading

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 13, 08:18 AM
Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrapablov View Post
sorry for my english a bolt means a hexagonal nut right,if so i saw a mechanic when a bolt was broken from both ends he hmm used a scratcher make its shape identical to a nut then very carefully opened it.hope it adds a new idea in your heads.

thanks for reading
Filing the bolt end into a hex head could work. If you can get to it. You can also cut across with a hacksaw to make a slot for a screwdriver. Both methods require a bolt to be sticking up from the metal. Not very likely for most bolts.

Still, one more way to get a broken bolt out.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 13, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I just went through this yesterday on my 1998 Dakota p/u. Two ex bolts were broken, about 1/8" in the hole and really tough to access with a mig welder. I contemplated trying it anyway, but was afraid I'd just weld the stud to the cast iron head. Long story short, KROIL,left handed drill bits and easy-outs didn't work. Ended up drilling them completely, and retapped the holes to 3/8-16 and used grade 8 studs. They were originally wimpy 8mmx1.5.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 13, 10:14 AM
Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I just went through this yesterday on my 1998 Dakota p/u. Two ex bolts were broken, about 1/8" in the hole and really tough to access with a mig welder. I contemplated trying it anyway, but was afraid I'd just weld the stud to the cast iron head. Long story short, KROIL,left handed drill bits and easy-outs didn't work. Ended up drilling them completely, and retapped the holes to 3/8-16 and used grade 8 studs. They were originally wimpy 8mmx1.5.
Yeah, times like that a 1/16 stick welder is handy. The flux helps keep you from welding to the sides as you get yourself started. As long as the bigger studs fit through the head you're probably better off now.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 13, 10:25 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDTN View Post
Yeah, times like that a 1/16 stick welder is handy. The flux helps keep you from welding to the sides as you get yourself started. As long as the bigger studs fit through the head you're probably better off now.
I did have to enlarge the holes in the ex manifold, but cast iron drills like butter.

If I was smart, I'da drilled the others and done the same, but I'm not smart. The 3/8 studs are much bigger than the 8mm bolts I replaced.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 13, 10:28 AM
Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I did have to enlarge the holes in the ex manifold, but cast iron drills like butter.

If I was smart, I'da drilled the others and done the same, but I'm not smart. The 3/8 studs are much bigger than the 8mm bolts I replaced.
LOL! Somewhere in the middle of my reply I started thinking you had replaced a head bolt not an exhaust manifold bolt. D'Oh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode