RS hood lock - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

RS hood lock

I wanted to make a hood lock to help protect my under hood stuff from theft when the car is unattended. I was installing one of those cable locks when I realized, all someone has to do is reach up from underneath with some cable cutters and cut the cable then pull the the pin out of the bracket, so that was out.

This is what I came up with:

I had two of these muffler hanging straps where the big hole is close to the diameter of the RS hood release handle:

I cut and drilled like so:

Then I welded the tabs in front and behind the brace that the release handle goes through and drilled through the brace:

I used a padlock like this:

Here it is looking from outside the grill:

You have to reach under the bumper to lock and unlock and even if someone kicks in the grill they will still have a hell of a time cutting this off.

All three holes have to be in alignment or the padlock will rock forward when the handle is pulled and the hood will pop but still not open. I have mine dialed in so the hood catch doesn't even pop. Now I feel less worried when the car is unattended.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: RS hood lock

Wow - that is a good idea! Well done ... I should do something similar to my 69.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 13, 09:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I've a better idea. Don't leave your car out of your sight.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 13, 06:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
I've a better idea. Don't leave your car out of your sight.

Sometimes that's hard to do. If I had to watch my car every second of the day I wouldn't enjoy life with my family or my friends. Most of the time if I take my car out, I'm never very far from it and I'm not with the family or friends to distract me.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes
Console w/tach and gauges.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 13, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

The lock is almost never on the car. I made it for an occasion say for example taking a road trip and spending a night in a hotel. Sure you can park right in front of your room but, what about when I fall asleep, it only takes about a minute thirty to remove the entire cowl plenum set up. With the lock I wouldn't worry about that plus, with the battery disconnect the car can't be hotwired. I think that little lock, being where it's positioned can stop all but a rollback.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 13, 11:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Great idea! I have one of those cables but I like this better - especially since I just got a Miller 211.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 13, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Tig welding would be nice for the tabs as I had to smooth down some of the welds (mig) to give more room for the padlock.

Here is another slick option but, didn't want to spend the coin:
http://screaminperformance.com/parts/67_69_camaro.htm
Again, the cable can be cut and then be pulled to release hood.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 13, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

I did the cable type lock on mine. My way of looking at it is nothing will stop a true professional car thief but a deterrent such as any type of hood lock, battery disconnect, etc. simply keeps honest people honest.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode