blowout welding - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 13, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

blowout welding

Why am I blowing a bigger hole than I'm trying to fill when I'm welding. I haven't started welding any pieces on yet but I'm plug welding some holes where I drilled out spot welds. Its not doing it every time but more than not. I'm using a Lincoln 140 mig welder and my settings are on A the lowest setting and my wire speed is at 3 to 4. I've tried adjusting every way I can but I get the same results. I might add I'm new to welding but I have been practicing. Oh and I am using Argon/CO2 and its set at about 22 l/min.
WTH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 13, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: blowout welding

Kenny, You're probably not moving the stinger fast enough. Start in the center of the hole and move outward in a circular manner. All surfaces need to be ground or sanded clean prior to welding. Also use the smallest diameter wire available for your welder. Clamp pieces tightly together. No substitute for practice/experience. Here's a You Tube video that might be helpful.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 13, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

Thanks Al that will help when I start welding panels on, I'm filling in holes now where there is nothing behind what I'm welding, just the hole. Do my settings look ok.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 13, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Kenny, You need to backup the hole with a piece of copper. Do a Google search for welding spoon.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 13, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

Thanks again Al , I looked on weldingtipsandtricks.com and it was very helpful and I think I may have had my gas set a little high so I turned it down a little and tried welding on a piece of scrap metal and I had a much better weld. One more question if you don't mind, what's the best way to grind my welds down and prep for prime. Oh yeah and I thumbed thru your build thread and your work looks great and you've come a long way on your car. Can't wait to get mine going in that direction
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 13, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Al

The best method for grinding I have used came from Scott (Sauron67MM). Use a wide cutoff wheel on a cutoff air tool to grind the weld down close to the finished surface. Then use a Roloc style grinding disc (varying grits) on a right angle air tool to finish blending the weld. Take a look through this thread to get an idea of what a finished weld can (should) look like. Scott has posted many tips on welding and other topics.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=212160

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 13, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Kenny, Here is a link to a thread at Garage Journal describing the grinding method (with good pics) I was referring to. Look for the posts by MP&C. Robert is very good at working sheet metal and emphasizes the need for tight gaps on butt welds when possible. Info I'm sure you will find helpful as you progress with your build.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=53534

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 13, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

Wow, he's good
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 13, 10:49 PM
Josh

Whats your wire size? If your using .035 or .030... Thats your problem. Use .023 for thin gauge such as 16, 18, 20 etc. Also you can fill it without a copper thing or whatever whats his face said. It just takes practice, just tack it until its filled. Tack the hole like your looking at a clock on the wall.

First tack it at 9 o clock let cool then tack at 3 o clock let cool tack at 12 o clock let cool tack at 6 o clock let cool etc etc etc see the pattern your tacking. Your spreading the heat in different sections so that just one spot doesn't get so hot you burn a hole in it.

Hope this helps Cheers

Just a Fabricator
OFF GRID ENGINEERING, LLC

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 13, 02:43 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Sheetmetal welding usually requires multiple trigger pulls also. Little 2-3 second pulls works better than trying to fill it all at once....depending on size hole.

Also look up rosette weld (just another slug/plug/spot weld name)

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 13, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

Thanks guys, I think one of my problems was the welder I was using. I bought a Lincoln 140 from Lowes which only has A,B,C and D heat settings and I couldn't fine tune it for lighter gauge metal. Well after a few weeks of burning holes in metal practicing welding I finally went to my local AIRGAS welding supply for help and info. The guy there told me I needed one with infinite settings so I could control the heat better and my welds would improve. Anyway I returned the 140 to Lowes and bought the 140C from AIRGAS which was $100 more and I'm getting much better results now.

Josh, thanks for the info., I'll try that technique when I get a chance to get back out to the garage. I checked out your Fabrication work on your FB page and I'll say that's some of the best looking welding I've ever seen. You do some excellent work for such young man and with skills like that you have a bright future ahead of you. Keep up the good work.

Doug, thanks for your help too, I've never heard it called a rosette weld but I googled it and found some helpful tips. I am going to get out to the garage this weekend sometime and practice my welding. Thanks again guys.

'67 RS Black on Red originally and again some day.
L48 350 from a '67 SS going in some day too

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Congratulations. It looks like you've resolved your problem. For others with the same problem that cant get a different welder, I agree with Al above, back up the hole with a piece of copper.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 13, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
James

also realize that as the distance between your wire and work piece increases the amperage goes up in order to jump the gap and will cause blow outs.

James
"Collectin' Camaro's since only Rednecks Drove them"

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 13, 04:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

Suggestion guys that worked for me take a piece of 3/4 in copper pipe cut a slit in it length wise then hammer the cut pice flat. Free welding spoon!!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 13, 07:15 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I saw that your gas setting was at 22lph, and you said that you turned it down. I run mine between 8-12 depending on what i am working on and never have a problem with splatter. Also, if you are having trouble with a hole blowing out, instead of trying to fill the hole initially, weld a circle around the hole on the outside where the metal has not been drilled or thinned. This way, you will have a thicker piece of metal to fill against, and you are going to grind it off anyhow. It is what i do when i have to weld up metal that has been rusted and thinned.

1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 3.70
1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 4.10
1967 RS Camaro Convertible 327 4 speed 3.73
1969 SS Camaro 6.0 LS Twin Turbo 5 Speed 3.50
2013 ZL1 Camaro roto-fab airbox pulley swap Rest In Pieces March 27 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode