'67 subframe tear down help - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kenny

'67 subframe tear down help

Hey guys, what's the best way to take the upper and lower control arms off without the coil spring flying off and hurting anyone or damaging anything. I know it needs work but I think I want to use my original instead of an aftermarket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	117.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	51073   Click image for larger version

Name:	118.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	51081   Click image for larger version

Name:	116.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	51089  

'67 RS Black on Red originally and again some day.
L48 350 from a '67 SS going in some day too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech

Re: '67 subframe tear down help

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE CAREFUL ! speaking from personal experience ..IT CAN HURT YOU !

I actually used a rod ...9 1/6 or 5/8 ( AS BIG AS WILL FIT IN THE SHOCK HOLE ) with a plate on each end - runs thru the SHOCK HOLE ON THE A ARMS.. I USED HEAVY GRADE 8 nuts on each end and once i poped the ball joint ,I REMOVED THE TOP A ARM FIRST by lifting it up and over the rod then i backed off the nut to release the preassure and slowly lower the lower a arm till there is no preassure. worked great ...
i use the same method when installing the new springs...

its in-expensive and u can get it at the hardware store.

If your not going to use the springs again ( which im guessing your not ) you can heat the springs with a torch to relax them first - takes some of the preassure off. ( if you have a torch ...

the make a spring colaps tool but , the one i had let loose and thats how i got hurt..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech
paul

I wrapped a cargo strap around the spring and tied it tight. then undid the bottom ball joint nut and split the hub away from the balljoint. then released the cargo strap.

all went ok. to replace I will make a spring compressor.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

I don't figure you will reuse the springs, I would just take a torch to them
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmanta View Post
I wrapped a cargo strap around the spring and tied it tight. then undid the bottom ball joint nut and split the hub away from the balljoint. then released the cargo strap.

all went ok. to replace I will make a spring compressor.
I seen it done with a chain as well...but as Hug points out, you got a lot of tension to work with, and if it gets away from ya!

Some places will rent a spring compressor. And as mentioned for the price why not just torch and replace?

capt
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Kenny, there are countless threads in the suspension forum how to do this using a quality spring compressor. Many, including myself know how to remove and install springs without them, and on uninstalled bare subframes. But you may choose to take the secure route.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 06:44 PM
Premium Member
Gordon

Basically take the shocks out and wind a reasonably thick chain thru the spring and "tie" it to the frame using nuts and bolts in the holes in the chain....leave just a little slack in the chain. Then you can do basically what you want, have someone sit on the upper A-arm when you pop it to keep weight on it and then he gets off and you're done. Then pop the lower ball joint to complete the job.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 15, 01:51 PM
charlie

Best advice I can give is using the cargo strap. Wrap it though the spring and when your ready to remove it let a little slack out of it. It will keep the spring from flying across your garage as well
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 15, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

I recently removed my springs on a bare subframe. I ran a cargo strap through the spring and around the frame just in case it springs. I got a spring compressor from Autozone from their loan a tool program. Compress the spring and pop the ball joint. Use a cargo strap or a chain for safety though.

Brian

'67 SS/RS 350, Muncie M20, Black with black interior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 15, 03:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

I took mine out and put back in new springs with a bare sub frame just like you. It was a pain. But luckily I have a big piece of rod recessed in the floor for pulling dozer tracks on and off . I used that to hold the frame down while I took the ball joint loose. I used a jack under the lower a arm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode