Enclosed Car Trailer Tips/Suggestions - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 13, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage
Enclosed Car Trailer Tips/Suggestions

Wanted to add a wench to our enclosed car trailer so I asked a great friend who happens to own a 4wheel-drive store/service center what I might want to consider during installation. He immediately suggested a receiver! Umm, never thought of that but it gives one the ability to quickly remove so here is what I'm doing with our Warn 4700.
Purchased a cheap receiver at Harbor Freight on sale for $9.95.
Utilized a scrap piece of 2X2" tubing to attach the base plate of the wench.
Now I can quickly remove and put in the receiver on the back of our pick up truck, or a receiver on our tractor. Might never but it gives flexibility and takes only seconds to remove.
Here is the receiver I utilized with a plate to be welded to. Actually have two plates, one to weld the receiver to and one that will go to the bottom and act as a sandwich. I also have a quick disconnect coming for the positive/ground lines.

Receiver welded on plate which in turn will be attached to the trailer floor.

The wench attached to the piece of 2X2 tubing which I drilled to accommodate the pin.

Next up some floor markings to assist me with loading. The floor was just plywood and never finished so I sanded out some of the ugly areas and decided to stain. I determined what the normal width was between center of tire to center of tire and laid out on the trailer floor two 3" stripes to mirror that width. Since I was staining it was easy to just purchase a pint can of slate (black) stain for under $4.. I had a can of pecan color stain with polyurethane and used that to cover the entire floor including going over the slate stain. At the frontal area I'm adding a mirror enabling easy line up to the slate stained lines. And it looks nice IMO.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 13, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Enclosed Car Trailer Tips/Suggestions

Very nice and good idea on the floor stain and guidelines.
My suggestion on the winch receiver, bolt it about a floor crossmember rather than rely on the 'wood' floor for a pulling point.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 11:27 PM
Team Member
Jim

Lightbulb You need (4) bolts thru floor

You need a " winch plate " on the bottom of the floor

Looks like that is in your design ....

It is a piece of metal thru which (4) bolts pass thru
from your top plate and sandwich the wood floor in between.

Jim

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 13, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage
Re: You need (4) bolts thru floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enclosed Muscle Transport View Post
You need a " winch plate " on the bottom of the floor

Looks like that is in your design ....

It is a piece of metal thru which (4) bolts pass thru
from your top plate and sandwich the wood floor in between.

Jim
Jim, thanks for noting that important feature and that is exactly what I'm doing from a friends explanation. I had mentioned in the orig post "actually have two plates, one to weld the receiver to and one that will go to the bottom and act as a sandwich." The above pictured primered plate is my bottom plate which is exactly the same as the top plate the receiver is welded to in the picture and will have 4 bolts. Should have explained that better in the beginning.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
Our 68Z Restoration
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 15, 07:04 PM
Cravz69

I literally just did this to my enclosed trailer a few weeks ago. I had a 1/8" inch steel plate made and tack welded it between the frame rails at the nose of the trailer and sandwiched it like the previous post suggested.
Use grade 8 bolts and you should be fine since you're pulling on a 90 degree angle and not straight up. I have a 5,000 lb Harbor Freight special, hoping that suffices since it's a rolling weight. I bought the wireless remote too, seems worth it for $30.00 or so. Hope this helps!
Also, love your floor! How much sanding (palm sander?) did it take? It the surface slick?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 15, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
I literally just did this to my enclosed trailer a few weeks ago. I had a 1/8" inch steel plate made and tack welded it between the frame rails at the nose of the trailer and sandwiched it like the previous post suggested.
Use grade 8 bolts and you should be fine since you're pulling on a 90 degree angle and not straight up. I have a 5,000 lb Harbor Freight special, hoping that suffices since it's a rolling weight. I bought the wireless remote too, seems worth it for $30.00 or so. Hope this helps!
Also, love your floor! How much sanding (palm sander?) did it take? It the surface slick?
No, surface is not slick! Add a mirror to assist driving car on trailer ramp and u are good to go. Stripes work just great!

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
Our 68Z Restoration
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 15, 03:58 PM
Cravz69

Awesome, thank you!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 15, 05:09 PM
John

Garage

I have the receiver/winch set up on my open car trailer.

I also welded a receiver to the back horizontal of my 4 post lift so I can easily pull a non running car up the lift ramps with the winch. Much easier then pushing. In fact I can do it single handedly.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 15, 06:38 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Please show me how that is mounted to the floor!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwo View Post
Please show me how that is mounted to the floor!
In post #1 you can see the receiver welded to a rectangular plate. To the front of the trailer it is mounted to the floor with a plate mounted underneath (sandwich style). With the receiver mount the winch or part of the receiver it fits into is off the floor approximately 1" which would put undue strain when winching a car up the ramp. That was quickly remedied by placing a 1X2" piece of wood underneath the receiver in essence to fill the gap between receiver and floor which makes the mounting forward of the plate solid.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
Our 68Z Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode