Wheel dollies? - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 14, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage
Wheel dollies?

Getting an estimate to add 8' on to the back side my 24' x 26' garage. The total floor space (minus block) would measure 23' wide x 33' deep. It would be a little tight to park my Camaro and daily driver front to back. Both cars together measure approx. 30.5'.

Looking at jacking wheel dollies with casters ($179ea.) This would allow me to rotate the Camaro sideways which would then give me plenty of room. Anyone ever use them or recommend a particular brand? Note: The Camaro is only driven on Cruise nights or to shows. Your thoughts good or bad are appreciated.

Last edited by 68Tiger; Apr 19th, 14 at 04:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 14, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Wheel dollies?

I have a similar situation and I park one car sideways in the back of my garage using wheel dollies. I would not recommend it as a method for a car you use even rarely as it is a pain to move without hitting anything, then jacking it up twice to remove the dollies. Really need two people to move the car. Not because it is hard to roll, but because it can be hard to stop it when rolling. As for the dollies, I bought a cheap set from Harbor Freight. I think I paid $65 dollars for a pair. They roll easy enough and get the job done.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 14, 09:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

Dom,

I do recommend Go Jacks. They roll smooth and easy. I have 4 cars in my garage and I have to use dollies to roll 2 of them around. I've tried the cheaper ones and I found that they do not roll around as good and require a lot of effort but as for the go jacks, they are much easier. Not forgetting to mention that the self jacking makes it much easier since you don't need floor jack. just put it under the wheels and jack it up. I think you will be happy as I am.

I do move it around myself without any problems.

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 14, 10:11 AM
Team Member
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverichard View Post
I have a similar situation and I park one car sideways in the back of my garage using wheel dollies. I would not recommend it as a method for a car you use even rarely as it is a pain to move without hitting anything, then jacking it up twice to remove the dollies. Really need two people to move the car. Not because it is hard to roll, but because it can be hard to stop it when rolling. As for the dollies, I bought a cheap set from Harbor Freight. I think I paid $65 dollars for a pair. They roll easy enough and get the job done.
x2. i have a full set that i use over the winter when doing projects on the car and to get it off the cement. they do their job for sure but pain to jack the car etc
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 14, 03:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sedric

Unless you want to buy these. They are expensive but if you have to go the route you are talking about, then they may be worth it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnr-5150595/overview/

Sedric
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 14, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelglo View Post
Dom,

I do recommend Go Jacks. They roll smooth and easy. I have 4 cars in my garage and I have to use dollies to roll 2 of them around. I've tried the cheaper ones and I found that they do not roll around as good and require a lot of effort but as for the go jacks, they are much easier. Not forgetting to mention that the self jacking makes it much easier since you don't need floor jack. just put it under the wheels and jack it up. I think you will be happy as I am.

I do move it around myself without any problems.
This is more what I was looking for. Easy to use and works relatively the way they are advertised. Anyone else have any history with this type dollie?

Thanks for the input guy's.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 14, 11:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

I can tell you that there is a difference in the amount of force that you need to push regular dollies and the go Jacks as I have both. I have posted 2 videos. with the other brand, you can see the guy leaning into the car more than the go jacks. I do know the castors make a difference and the cars weight but it seems that all the regular wheel dollies I have used seem to have the same castors except the go jacks which rolls a lot smoother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEWtL5fn7MM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKosKLtKA

angel

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 14, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage

No question about it the Go jacks are the way to go. Look much easier to maneuver the car around. Should be making a decision on the garage extension within the week. If the pricing comes back good then I will purchase 4 of them. Thanks for taking the time to post the videos and give first hand opinions.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 14, 05:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Been using Go Jacks for a while repoing cars. They work great, self load, and are quiet. You may not need quiet if it is your own car you are moving. But to me quiet , fast, and easy rolling is a must. I bought a pair of the Harbor Freight dollies for in the shop. I used them one time and never used them again. They are a real pain. Once you go Go Jack, you will never go back to regular dollies. They are not cheep, but what is that really does a good job?

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 14, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage
Re: Wheel dollies Right/left land difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Tiger View Post
Getting an estimate to add 8' on to the back side my 24' x 26' garage. The total floor space (minus block) would measure 23' wide x 33' deep.
I just signed the deal to add 8' on to my garage (see above) and will be purchasing the Go Jack car Dollies to spin my Camaro sideways. What's the difference between Left hand and Right hand Go Jack dollies? I think I can go with all Right hand dollies? The car will be 2-3 feet from the wall after spinning sideways. Saw them on Amazon 4 for $640.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 14, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage

Garage addition is complete and the GOJAK wheel dollies work great! Thanks for the advice on this.

Last edited by 68Tiger; Sep 28th, 14 at 04:50 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 14, 06:55 PM
John

Garage

I use the HF dollies for my project cars that get moved occasionally. Usually only have the 2 front or rear wheels on them.... Well always only 2 because I only have 2. For a finished car and regular use I'd bite the bullet and buy the go jacks.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 14, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Got the Harbor freight dollies and changed the wheels. . . .now they work great!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 14, 04:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I bought the cheap harbor freight wheel dollies first and then upgraded to the go jak dollies. They're not even close in terms of quality.

The jacking mechanism on the harbor freight is awful. Sometimes they scare the hell out of me when I lower the car. Just a matter of time until one slams my car when lowering it. I never use the harbor freight dollies any more.

I also agree with how much easier it is to move a car with the go jaks. They're a bit more money but so worth the extra coin.

Good luck with your garage.

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode