Front Spoiler/Air Dam Outer Supports/Braces Breakaway Mounts. - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Lightbulb Front Spoiler/Air Dam Outer Supports/Braces Breakaway Mounts.

I know there are plenty of 1st generation enthusiasts that don't like to run the front spoiler or air dam outer supports/braces due to the potential damage that could be done to the lower section of the front fender(s) where they attach if there is ever an impact of some type such as bumping a curb. But there are also those that would like to run them for the original/factory installed look without running this risk. I think I may have come up with a solution.

Years ago I was very active in flying radio controlled model airplanes and volunteered as an instructor two evenings a week. The training planes that new modelers would learn to fly with usually had the wing held on by either #64 rubber bands or nylon screws/bolts. I witnessed the nylon screws/bolts act as a fuse over and over again in hard landings and even crashes where the nylon screws/bolts would shear off saving much damage to the rest of the model airplane. So I ordered some 1/4" x 20 nylon screws and replaced the steel bolts on both ends of my front spoiler/air dam outer braces, I kept the rest of the existing hardware (washers & nuts) as nothing is really gained by swapping them to nylon. I'm hoping I never find out how well they work as a fuse, but either way, thought I'd pass the idea along for any others that might be interested in doing the same.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 04:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Re: Front Spoiler/Air Dam Outer Supports/Braces Breakaway Mounts.

Pretty neat idea Scott. Are you running any of the braces? I set my brother in laws car up with only the center brace. I know that most won't go with it like that. But keeping the front end intact is more of a concern for me than it being correct with all the braces. Thanks for the post and keep us posted on hopefully not any bad news as to how it works out..

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 04:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I like that idea as well... does that nylon retain 'cast blast paint' very well?

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech
Phil

Have you done the wind speed / wind resistance, shear calculation? I'd be glad to "field test" this for you if the math is too difficult.

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Good idea. Did you swap the nylon at the fender extension end of the outer braces?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty68 View Post
Pretty neat idea Scott. Are you running any of the braces? I set my brother in laws car up with only the center brace. I know that most won't go with it like that. But keeping the front end intact is more of a concern for me than it being correct with all the braces. Thanks for the post and keep us posted on hopefully not any bad news as to how it works out..
For the last three seasons only the outer braces were there with metal hardware, I just added the center brace with metal hardware but changed the outer brace bolts to nylon screws at both ends of the supports/braces.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28-RS View Post
I like that idea as well... does that nylon retain 'cast blast paint' very well?
I didn't paint mine, but I'd think prepping them with some lacquer thinner they would hold paint fairly well. They are available in black nylon at better hobby shops that carry a good supply of R/C model airplane parts.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69TAPoser View Post
Have you done the wind speed / wind resistance, shear calculation? I'd be glad to "field test" this for you if the math is too difficult.

Phil
The wind/speed test will take place later this season, I could use a second vehicle riding alongside to watch if/at what speed the nylon bolts shear. You game Phil

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
Good idea. Did you swap the nylon at the fender extension end of the outer braces?
Yes, I changed the outer brace bolts to nylon screws at both ends of the supports/braces so four nylon screws total (twice as likely to shear if needed that way).

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 05:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH69Z28RS View Post
For the last three seasons only the outer braces were there with metal hardware, I just added the center brace with metal hardware but changed the outer brace bolts to nylon screws at both ends of the supports/braces.
I think with your idea and just have the center brace with metal hardware. At least "if" you hit a big possum or any other medium sized rodent your chances would be somewhat better without the side braces and your hardware it should work.

My Build:
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Phil

Quote:
The wind/speed test will take place later this season, I could use a second vehicle riding alongside to watch if/at what speed the nylon bolts shear. You game Phil
I will make sure my rear view mirror is installed by then.

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 05:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69taposer View Post
i will make sure my rear view mirror is installed by then.

Phil
:d

My Build:
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 06:41 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
four nylon screws total (twice as likely to shear if needed that way).
Only reason i asked is because I would've thought that the weaker nylon screw at one end only would be more likely to shear, only one weak point in the brace connections. Hmmm.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69TAPoser View Post
I will make sure my rear view mirror is installed by then.

Phil
Sounds as if you are making assumptions based on wishful thinking with no supporting facts having yet been offered as/into evidence?

With that in mind, install the rear view mirror(s) if you like, but make sure your windshield is nice and clean so you can see me to you through my rear view window

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 06:54 PM
Team Member
Jerry

Great Idea.

69 SS/RS
565 BBC
Tremic 6 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode