spark plug removal - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 15, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

spark plug removal

68 Camaro, 383 raised port pro comp angle plug heads 1 3/4" hooker super comps
does anyone have any tricks on how to remove and install the plugs for #3 and #5 cylinder
every thing I have is either to long to short or to big in diameter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 15, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Re: spark plug removal

I usually use a closed ended wrench.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 15, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

with the angle of the plug and the steering box there is no way to use a box or open wrench.
I can get a thin wall socket with a short universal on the plug , but I can only move it about 3 turns . then I can't get my combination of the plug . so then I have to tighten back about two turns to get everything off. then it is a hex headed plug socket and move it maybe 1/8' at a time
it takes me 1.5 hours to remove #3 and #5 plug. the same or a little more time for replacement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 15, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Break it loose the way you have been doing, and then slip a section of tight-fitting vacuum tubing on the end of the plug and turn it out.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 15, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ430DropTop67RS View Post
Break it loose the way you have been doing, and then slip a section of tight-fitting vacuum tubing on the end of the plug and turn it out.
X2 I use 3/8 fuel hose. Makes a great universal for spark plugs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 15, 06:49 PM
John

Garage

Another thought is to use shorty spark plugs

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 15, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
with the angle of the plug and the steering box there is no way to use a box or open wrench.
I can get a thin wall socket with a short universal on the plug , but I can only move it about 3 turns . then I can't get my combination of the plug . so then I have to tighten back about two turns to get everything off. then it is a hex headed plug socket and move it maybe 1/8' at a time
it takes me 1.5 hours to remove #3 and #5 plug. the same or a little more time for replacement
Yep used to have that issue.
Buy a chinese elcheapo set of sockets and ring spanners.u can mod the plug socket to drop over the plug... to break loose...use a bent modded ring spanner....
Once the torque is broken the plug winds out with fingers nps.

u may also find access is easier with the wheel turned or even off the car...

And next time do not put cold spark plugs into a warm engine... cold plugs cold engine.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

thanks for the replies
I have tried all the above . I guess I was hoping to hear of something I hadn't tried
if photobucket was working properly I would post a picture of the altered tools and different lengths of hose I have
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes, had the same problem years ago.
Get a hex head plug socket and shorten the height - yes, insulator will stick out of the sq drive. Use wrench to loosen/tighten.
As said by Steps, once loose, fingers, or as others suggest, and I have one in my tool box, a length of fuel line and vacuum hose for slipping over the insulator and screw/unscrew the plug.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 05:13 AM
John

Garage

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....roup_ID=674849

This works for lots of hard to get to plugs

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 06:44 AM
Team Member
Darin

That doesn't sound like too much fun.
I have the same headers for my sbc, and haven't purchased the heads yet, I'll make sure to get straight plugs heads, but I'm sure it will still be a PITA.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Yes, had the same problem years ago.
Get a hex head plug socket and shorten the height - yes, insulator will stick out of the sq drive. Use wrench to loosen/tighten.
That's what I have also. Works great on hard to get to plugs.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D (8/22/1969) M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

I went and bought a cheap 3/8" drive 5/8" plug socket a 7/32" 1/4" drive socket and several 1/4" extensions
my plan is to weld the 7/32 to the 3/8 which should give me room to use the 1/4 ratchet
I hope
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

just to let you know the setup in the above post worked great. I did forget to take the rubber out of the plug socket before welding, but that actually made it easier to get the socket on
one other thing I did was to take a cutoff wheel to the male end of the extension behind the square and it gives you a wobble affect
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If u dial in a engine well, and considering the quality of modern spark plugs... its not often one needs to change them anyway.
Camaro service due yesterday.. change oil, grease, radiator drain and flush, top up washer bottle, check timing curves, VA curves/ diaphram vac specs etc... And fortunately my wife has an incredible 'ear' for engines... describes what hears in a manner one can "ID" the issue.. she picked up a slight miss between 1200 and 1600 rpms taking off from an intersection taking the car to her work couple days ago.
So time to change spark plugs... take them out.. look good, very good actually...very little wear on some to hardly any on others...
Check the car log... damn 10 1/2 yrs since they where put in !!!!
NGK BP6S (slightly colder plug for the high octane fuel)
Keep in mind this is a daily driven car for the last 35 yrs...

Dial your engine in has huge benefits besides performance economy... but reliability, maintenance, and convenience.

And yes she was right on about the miss.. the data logger O2 richen up 4 points

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode