Selling on Ebay - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 16, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Selling on Ebay

Hey,

A buddy of mine has asked me to help him sell his dad's Bel Air on Ebay.

Are there any suggestions you guys have for selling a car on Ebay, like what payment type to accept or what can be done to avoid any scams.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 16, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage
Re: Selling on Ebay

Never had any scam issues in the past.

I use eBay as an advertising tool like the buy it now or a classified ad, never as an auction.

I usually put $500 deposit immediately by PayPal. Then bank check or money wire for the remainder.

Sold a few cars with eBay help but never an actual auction.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 16, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

There's quite a lot of FAQs and selling tips available on eBay, but personally I would avoid selling anything at all that belongs to someone else (no matter how well or long you know them) under your own account.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 16, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

We will be using his account.

I was told by a guy who sells cars on eBay that he only accepts bank transfers. Cash directly in his account.

He said money orders/bank drafts can be faked and paypal can be paid by fraud.

Thanks
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 16, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

I have a money order for $25,000 that I'll overnight to you for the car. You can send me back the difference by Western Union. I'll have my transport company pick up the car, or better yet, you can just give my transport company driver the check for the difference by Western Union money order when he picks the car up. He will be there to pick the car up tomorrow afternoon.

If you get any of that type of offer, run, do not walk, away from the person making you the offer.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 16, 07:07 AM
John

Garage

Format the description of the car so it's easy to read. I like bullet point style

I put my phone # in the listing. Every car I've sold it to a guy that called.

Take cash in person or wire. Or have the guy bring a cashiers check but go with the buyer to the bank that drafted the check and have the bank cash it and/or draft a new check.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 16, 01:20 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Paypal will get a percentage of the sale as well. I never had a problem with PayPal as far as fraud is concerned.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 16, 03:30 PM
John

Garage

Only take a $500 deposit via PayPal. Cost 3% to you $15

Balance via methods mentioned

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 29th, 16, 05:43 AM
Gilbert

Yes, just use it as advertisement!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 29th, 16, 07:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Bigger ticket items, I always list on CL first. Never know if there is someone local. Then, if I need to go to ebay, I always state in the ad "car is listed for sale locally, and I reserve the right to end this listing early if item sells locally."

Like John, put a phone number. If I get a text, all I EVER text back is "call me if interested". If they don't want to talk to you, they are scammers.

Lynn
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old May 29th, 16, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
if I need to go to ebay, I always state in the ad "car is listed for sale locally, and I reserve the right to end this listing early if item sells locally."
This type of statement is common to see in ebay listings, but it's actually not a valid (or allowable uder ebay's terms) reason for ending an ebay Motors listing early:
Ending your vehicle listing early on eBay Motors

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old May 29th, 16, 06:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

You may be correct, Tim, but the Ebay explanation is far from clear.

If I list without a reserve, I NEVER end it early, nor do I remove it. Without reserve should mean highest bidder gets it.

If I list with a reserve, and reserve hasn't been met, and I get a local buyer, I don't see a problem ending the auction. There is no current "winner". No one has met reserve, and therefore no one has a right to EXPECT they will be getting the item.

I agree, ending after reserve is met, or ending a "no reserve" auction early (normally because bidding hasn't hit the level the seller wants) is just wrong.

I have never ended a no reserve auction with bids, or any auction on which reserve was met.

If Ebay wants to ban me or discipline me, I am OK with that. I am still SHOCKED that there is no viable competing auction site to ebay. Ebay just got too greedy. I guess the mulit millions it was earning just weren't enough.

Lynn
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old May 29th, 16, 08:34 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Not saying I agree with ebay policy either (in fact I strongly disagree with a lot of their policies and rules....and use the site incereasingly less often as a result), just that there seems to be an expectation that you can (should!) only end an ebay Motors listing if there is a problem with the item (such as it developing a mechanical fault), there is an error in the listing, or you choose to negotiate directly with an ebay member or the current high bidder in the case of an auction-style listing.
I have had several listings cancelled in the past for apparently violating some obscure term and/or condition, and one for stating I had the vehicle offered for sale elsewhere.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old May 30th, 16, 05:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Personally I would try selling locally on ebay first as a classified ad. I had a lot of trouble on ebay with fraudulent buyers ruining my auctions when everyone was starting to bid towards the end while selling my motorcycle. There are options you can check off that stop newbies to ebay from bidding and also people with bad ratings from bidding on your item. I had to have a ebay rep help me with all that and it is still not scam proof but better than nothing. In the past I have sold 2 motorcycles and a truck on ebay using the auction but in reality, everything sold locally from someone seeing the ad on ebay and contacting me after the auction ended. Try running a classified ad 1st and might save you a ton of grief.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 17, 07:31 AM
Michael

Kind of an older post I know, but make sure you cover all your bases when doing anything on ebay. They're a pretty big target for scammers, even on the buying side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode