Car transportation? - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 16, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mitchel

Garage
Car transportation?

So I need to get a cars shipped 1200 miles to my garage. Now I can rent a truck and trailer and go get it that's no problem but where should I rent it from? Or is it cheaper to have the car shipped to me with an auto carrier and how much would that be? The car is in Topeka Kansas and I'm in Atlanta Georgia. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 16, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mitchel

Garage
I'm an idiot it's 864 miles not 1200.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 16, 06:54 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

Re: Car transportation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legeance View Post
I'm an idiot it's 864 miles not 1200.

As I like to say, go with your strength!

67 RS/SS Conv, 4Sp, Tach and gauges

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 16, 07:14 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Maybe ask member Enclosed Muscle Transport what he would charge you.
Team Camaro Tech - View Profile: Enclosed Muscle Transport

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 16, 09:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

I had to ship my old truck to a Mecum auction. Both Mecum and Barrett Jackson push their vendor, Reliable (very high quotes). I called "Ship a car direct" and they lined me up. All they do is get you in contact with a local shipper, but they have good contacts. The guy I got had a single car interior hauler, about $800 for 400 miles, saved $400 off the Reliable quote.
Don't ship the week before or after a major auction, your quote will be high.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 16, 03:26 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You can do it in two days rental term if everything is lined up but figure three. Cheapest rental you could get would still be at least $200 for three days with no insurance. They've got full size trucks at the ATL airport rentals. Uhaul car hauler would be another $200 for three days or borrow one free. Round trip 1900 miles at 12mpg, 160 gallons of gas at $2.25 average is $360. I'm glad I've got my own stuff.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 16, 03:37 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Time and money if you have both....drive out, stop at U-Haul for a pre ordered trailer (be sure to pre order ), pick up trailer, then car, and drive home.

Otherwise, use a service like above, Jim (EMT) seems like a decent guy, but he's only 1 guy and may not be in that area, unfortunately.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 16, 06:21 AM
Team Member
Jim

Lightbulb Re: Car transportation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Maybe ask member Enclosed Muscle Transport what he would charge you.
Team Camaro Tech - View Profile: Enclosed Muscle Transport

Brian

Thanks Brian !

There is little demand to haul into Texas.

That means a lot of unloaded miles to drive there empty.

Folks that actually drive (not lying brokers) do not drive
empty for free.

It is best when moving a car to:

Drive it or trailer it yourself

Hire someone who will haul direct from pick up to drop off
if you can't do it yourself - talk to them before you hire them.

Jim

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 16, 08:08 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
You can do it in two days rental term if everything is lined up but figure three. Cheapest rental you could get would still be at least $200 for three days with no insurance. They've got full size trucks at the ATL airport rentals. Uhaul car hauler would be another $200 for three days or borrow one free. Round trip 1900 miles at 12mpg, 160 gallons of gas at $2.25 average is $360. I'm glad I've got my own stuff.
U-Haul will not let you tow a car trailer with the Rental Pick-up trucks they have. They will only let you tow a car trailer with a moving truck which is crazy expensive.

If you want to go get the car the best way is to drive you own truck to the car's location and rent a U-haul car trailer 1 way. They charge about $180 1 way and give you 3 days. Even so 1900 mile round trip is a long haul. Adding fuel and at least a night or two hotel charges gets costly IF everything goes right. It's definitely more cost effective to have it picked up by an auto transport company.

If you can go open carrier the price and availability of companies will be much better. Also if time of pick up is not urgent you'll get better pricing.

Should only cost $600-$800
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
U-Haul will not let you tow a car trailer with the Rental Pick-up trucks they have. They will only let you tow a car trailer with a moving truck which is crazy expensive.

If you want to go get the car the best way is to drive you own truck to the car's location and rent a U-haul car trailer 1 way. They charge about $180 1 way and give you 3 days. Even so 1900 mile round trip is a long haul. Adding fuel and at least a night or two hotel charges gets costly IF everything goes right. It's definitely more cost effective to have it picked up by an auto transport company.

If you can go open carrier the price and availability of companies will be much better. Also if time of pick up is not urgent you'll get better pricing.

Should only cost $600-$800
I said truck rental at ATL airport which is National, Hertz. et al.

Several years ago I had a 4Runner from there myself for a job site and it had factory tow package. Bought a motorcycle off ebay and used it to drive nonstop to PA from ATL with my trailer and get it, then drove straight back home. 24 hours. Saved the wear and tear on my own truck. The 4Runner still had temp plates on it. Also have some nice video of offroading it.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 03:26 PM
John

Garage

Yes maybe get a rental from the car rental companies and then pick up a Uhaul car trailer.

Just make sure the vehicle you rent will be approved by Uhaul for a car trailer. You not tow a car trailer with a 4Runner or SUV

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 16, 03:34 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

TRUCK rental at the airport is usually quad cab Rams or other full size. You can also rent full size SUV's which will pass the tow quiz at uhaul. I just had the 4Runner for a job site so took advantage of it. Used to have a National Emerald Exec account for work that lets you just pick a car off the Emerald aisle (full size or better at mid size rate) and had a guy at the ATL airport who I could give $20 to and he'd let me go grab an SUV instead of whatever cars they had on the aisle. BTW, cost to pick up a uhaul auto transport (not a dinky dolly) in KS and return in GA is $300 base (without taxes and fees). It's $150 or so base for three days to pick up and return at the same place but you eat some of the cost savings in gas. Regardless, I just posted all that stuff for an idea of cost involved to compare to having it delivered.

Here's that rental getting tested off road. You can see the temp tag still on it.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

Last edited by Steiner; Apr 27th, 16 at 03:45 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 16, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Awesome use of a rental vehicle.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 16, 12:35 PM
Joe

Reliable just dropped off my Camaro this morning, it was aprox 1750 mile trip from my painter to my home.
I'd recommend them to anyone, car arrived exactly as it left PA and was $1644 total cost with $100 added for non driving condition.
They picked it up Wednesday and got here Sunday AM, I figured it would have cost me $1100+ in gas, food and a 2 nights in a motel..not to mention wear n tear on my truck/ trailer and me
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 16, 05:32 AM
Team Member
Roger

You can try Jim at Truely Vintage

34 feet enclosed trailer space available
8000 pound capacity
8 foot rear door clearance

I think he was at Barrett Jackson, but may be heading your way

Jim
(260) 804-6695
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode