concrete blocks - Team Camaro Tech
Tips & Tricks Member submited how-to's

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

concrete blocks

well it looks like our dear moderator was not happy with some of the replies he got so he deleted the post. IF HE DIDN'T well some one did I can't find it
AS USUALLY
it may be time to pick another moderator that don't get his feelers hurt when some one disagrees WITH HIM
still waiting for the test results that I asked him to preform
I am sure this will go POOf as soon as he sees it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 11:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: concrete blocks

Kevin, I didn't see it so I can't say but if it has anything to do with supporting your vehicle, I would not do it. Those are cast blocks and have seen many crumble , at the wrong time. 2 worth here.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Kevin, I didn't see it so I can't say but if it has anything to do with supporting your vehicle, I would not do it. Those are cast blocks and have seen many crumble , at the wrong time. 2 worth here.
no disrespect, but I will ask you to preform the test that I asked in the post that was deleted
place a 8" block cells up under a hydraulic press with a 1/4" plate on top and tell me what pressure it starts to break
please post the #s on the site

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 12:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

You mean your post in the thread about cinder blocks? It's still there, I just read it.

Is this it? "quote:Yes as one component of an assembly that has steel rebar reinforcement and solid grouted cells per the engineered design.

HA HA I have help build 100s of foundations without rebar or grout in the cells and the houses are still standing
put a 8" block (cells up) under a hydraulic press with a 1/4 steel plate over it. then YOU TELL US what amount of pressure it took to fracture the block
shouldn't be a problem. as many car as you build one would assume you have a press or access to one
I KNOW WHAT IT TAKES!!"

Relax man.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I was an Industrial Engineer in school but all of my friends were dirt engineers so I took a lot of Civil Engineering courses as electives just to be sociable including a few strength of material courses involving concrete. The values observed in destructive testing varied wildly depending upon the material, how they were mixed and cured.

Add to this I had a friend who worked at a local concrete block plant. His job was to pick up the wet cement block and to take it off the forming machine and stack it neatly on a pallet. Not all of them made it as they would fall apart. Too many of them fall apart and he would kill the production run and have their engineer look into the mixer to see why. There are variables in any production process.

If you want to risk your life; it's yours to risk. I will stick with a steel seven ton jack stand I bought at NAPA for $15 to 18 each a few decades ago and still have five left (ran over one with a tow truck). I also have four two and a half ton jack stands as I like to support the suspension as well as the car body if my clumsy self is under the car.

By the way for some reason he was Mr. Florida three years running and I once saw him lean over the fender of a Mustang and lift out a 260 SBF V8 by hand and set it on the ground. Something about a good diet and exercise.

Big Dave
zdld17 likes this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 01:08 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: concrete blocks

Not sure what this is all about but if you are speaking of this thread "Safe Inexpensive Car Lift" https://www.camaros.net/forums/74-too...ml#post3959954
No one deleted it. Kevin - Maybe your forum settings are set to only display yesterdays threads? Roll down to the bottom of the Tools & Shops forum listing and check the "From The" pull-down. I prefer using the "beginning" setting so I can see every posting in a particular forum since last day, last two days are too short a period of time when patrolling all the forums over the course of a couple days. Most topics take a few days in between to have new replies.

In any event I would merge this response thread to the original but afraid someone might say I was trying to hide this thread.
Everybody take a step back and take a deep breath.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangeMD View Post
You mean your post in the thread about cinder blocks? It's still there, I just read it.

Is this it? "quote:Yes as one component of an assembly that has steel rebar reinforcement and solid grouted cells per the engineered design.

HA HA I have help build 100s of foundations without rebar or grout in the cells and the houses are still standing
put a 8" block (cells up) under a hydraulic press with a 1/4 steel plate over it. then YOU TELL US what amount of pressure it took to fracture the block
shouldn't be a problem. as many car as you build one would assume you have a press or access to one
I KNOW WHAT IT TAKES!!"

Relax man.
I am relaxed you will see when I am not
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

it is awesome that some will find fault with using blocks, but will not provide their findings by the test I asked to preform
just saying
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

quote:I once saw him lean over the fender of a Mustang and lift out a 260 SBF V8 by hand and set it on the ground
SO in a few years he will be walking bent over with a cane and needing help going up and down stairs
that is what a chain fall, come a long, or engine hoist is for .
I have always heard that God makes the handicapped special in some other way when they are lacking in another
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
quote:I once saw him lean over the fender of a Mustang and lift out a 260 SBF V8 by hand and set it on the ground
SO in a few years he will be walking bent over with a cane and needing help going up and down stairs
that is what a chain fall, come a long, or engine hoist is for .
I have always heard that God makes the handicapped special in some other way when they are lacking in another
Actually he did die a crippled old man but that was from power lifting free weights in a gym, not car motors. Four hundred and sixty pounds wasn't enough of a challenge as he was snatching and jerking twelve hundred pounds when he crushed his lower spine.

Big Dave
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 06:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Wow, I just wanted to provide some helpful suggestions for those of us that need to get the car higher than jack stands safely. I guess in the future I'll need to consider more carefully my decision to initiate a posting. I still am comfortable with the engineering calculation that IMHO provides a massive factor of safety in this case. Everyone needs to be comfortable with their method of raising a car to work under it. If anyone thinks that (properly oriented) cement blocks are a bad idea please don't use them and disregard the suggestion as BS.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 06:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Is this a joke? Are we really arguing about this on Team Camaro?
robbys67rs likes this.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 06:37 PM
Team Member
Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 07:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

You call it arguing. We call it entertainment.
Moonpie likes this.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 07:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Yea, it has become pretty entertaining. Like to read the different opinions on an otherwise mundane topic from an ancient posting. Got to love this site.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode