4Likes
  • 1 Post By 68rs406
  • 3 Post By slazisme

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

no kink tubing bending

If you are going to bend fuel or brake line tubing and do not want to kink it, fill and pack the line with table salt. Many hipsters will tell you to use sand, DON'T! When sand gets wet it turns to mud, mud sticks to stuff like bends in tubing. When salt picks up moisture it dissolves and is carried away when the line is flushed, mud. just sticks to the inside of the tubing.

67 RS/SS 350, M21, 3:70 POSI, Hooker side mount headers, blue dot tail lights. owner since 1974.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 07:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Re: no kink tubing bending

Now you tell me. I dented a piece of fuel line a few weeks ago and had to start over.

Seriously, thanks for the tip.

Patrick
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 04:36 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

If you are bending much tubing buy a good quality tubing bender, the kind with two handles like the one below. Not a cheap parts store or harbor freight one, try grainger or someplace that sells pro tools. Itís well worth the money. I bought one of those and a MAC double flare tool when I re plumbed my front brakes.

53Crestline likes this.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 05:39 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I had to make a rear axle brake line, it turned out a little long, easy fix was to put a spiral in it by wrapping around a pipe Looked like it was supposed to be there.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 08:32 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

If you're not looking for the original look another option that guys use nowadays are the NiCopp lines that are easy to bend and don't have rust issues.
https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performa...11534/10002/-1
130fe, kv67ssrs and 57vette like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 18, 04:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Nicopp lines are great. A little more money, but easy to work with. Seems like the trucks of the 90' s and early to mix 2000's have no treatment at all on the lines. They rust pretty bad. The Nicopp lines bend by hand easy, and are easy to double flair. Been using it for years without any failures. You can get it at most auto parts stores.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 18, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Tom Anderson

Garage

I am going to be needing to replace my lines and I would like to do custom routing can anyone recommend a good quality flair tool
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 18, 07:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Tom go to the best auto parts store in your area and ask for a "double flaring tool". The store should have a good bending tool also. I recommend staying local because if there is a problem you have someone to talk to.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 18, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_tom View Post
I am going to be needing to replace my lines and I would like to do custom routing can anyone recommend a good quality flair tool
This is more important than the tubing bender even, trust me, donít make the mistake of buying anything but the best double flare tool you can find. Anything but quality like Snap-on or Mac will leave you frustrated and with leaky tubes.
I donít know why other lower end manufacturers canít get it right, but they canít, the tube will single flare but the fixture wonít hold the tube in place to double flare, and it is a massive pain in the ***. Ask me how I know, lol. Iíll bet there are guys on here that will tell the same story.

I bought a Mac double flare tool, I think it was $80 or something, a good bender like the picture I posted above and did all my lines up front. It took time and patience but in the end it looks awesome. Without a good flare tool itís not happening.

I donít want to scare you from doing it yourself, nothing is better than that, but donít make the mistake of a cheap flare tool. For less than $200 youíll have quality tools you can use again and again.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Bending a custom fuel or brake line requires special high dollar tools to do a good job. NO IT DOES NOT!

The first thing you have to do is straighten the coil of tubing. Some people buy this little tool that has five rollers. The tube is inserted in the rollers an out comes a straight tube. Well there is another way. I happened to have a section of ĺĒ plastic conduit about 10 feet long. It is a little hard to see, but the conduit is gray in color. Just carefully insert the tubing in the conduit and out comes a semi-straight tube. The second photo show the tubing removed from the conduit. You have to use plastic conduit or maybe schedule 40 PVC will work. Metal conduit will scratch the outside of the tubing and make it look ugly.
[IMG]fuel line 1 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]fuel line 2 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

If you need the tubing straighter, drill a hole in a piece of wood the same size as the outside diameter of the tubing. Insert the tubing in the hole and out comes a straight tube.
[IMG]fuel line 3 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]fuel line 4 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

I own a tubing bender. My tool was made by Imperial (Eastwood sells them). It makes great bends with no kinks. It does not flatten the tube. It will bend tubing from ľĒ up to 3/8Ē. I wish it would bend ĹĒ. It is a great tool, but I really have to think about where I am going to make a bend. I have to measure and calculate and think about the direction the tube is going to be bent. I comes with some instructions that I need to laminate because if I lose them, the tool would be useless. I cannot use this tool to make a bend under the car. The tubing must be out in the open. The second tool in the photo will make fine adjustment to the tubing. It can only be used on brake lines. Fuel lines are too big.
[IMG]fuel line 5 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheap coat hangers will give you a template to experiment with when you are routing the lines.
[IMG]fuel line 6 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

The tubing bender will make 45, 90, 180, degree turns with ease. And it will make bends between the standard angles, if you are brave enough. The photo below shows two 90 degree bends that are hugging the floor pan torque boxes.
[IMG]fuel line 7 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

I threw away this fuel line because I thought the fuel would have a lot of friction and turbulence going through the tight bends.

I decided to make a gradual bend. I dug out my tubing bender springs. I found one that fit the tubing.
[IMG]fuel line 8 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

I set up my hydraulic bottle jack under the tubing. I wedged a piece of scrap MDF board between the spring and bottle jack. I bent the tubing with bottle jack.
[IMG]fuel line 9 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]fuel line 10 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]fuel line 11 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]fuel line 12 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

Smooth laminar fuel flow. You cannot do that with a tubing bender. I had to use the spring, and a piece of MDF board because nothing else would work. The spring prevents the tube from denting as it is being pushed up against the sharp car steel. The MDF prevents the hydraulic jack from pressing little spring shaped dents in the tubing. I used this method to make the fuel line hug the car.

If you need to straighten the tubing, I used the little stainless steel clamps and a hammer. The clamps prevent me from flattening the tubing.
[IMG]fuel line 13 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]fuel line 14 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now that the tube is bent, it is time to flare the ends. You do not necessarily have to buy a flaring tool. Earlís makes tubing fittings that have a brass or copper looking ferrule that will connect to a hard line to the fitting with no flare. Sometimes the ferrule is called a compression fitting. The fittings cost more than a regular tube fitting but you donít have to buy a flaring tool.

If you want to buy a flaring tool, the best one is Ridgid Flare tool model 377 AN. It makes 37 degree AN flares. I paid $80.00. You can buy a $14.00 dollar one but good luck to ya. The first time you use this tool, you will be glad you spent the money. I have read that some people flare stainless with this tool. I think with stainless tubing, it would be prudent to buy a hydraulic flaring tool.
[IMG]fuel line 15 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]fuel line 16 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]fuel line 17 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

The only two tools that you absolutely need to purchase is the tubing bender and the tubing springs. The rest of the tools just make the job easier.

I used NiCopp line because to the reasons mention in the posts above.

Patrick
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 12:29 AM
Probationer
Neil

Outstanding tutorial. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode